New measurement of restaurant and calibration - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 3 Old 12-17-15, 04:38 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Ryan C. Ashton

My System
New measurement of restaurant and calibration

Hi community,

I just installed a sound system in a restaurant and I'm trying to calibrate it now.

The system is Cornered Audio [http://cornered.dk/professional/products/] with Quest amps [http://www.questaudio.com.au/amplifiers/qa/] and a Xilica XP-8080 processor [http://xilica.com/products/xp/].

You can see a layout of the restaurant in the attached .pdf file (in the .zip file).

The ceiling is about 2.53 meters and the underside of the beams (red on the plan) is about 2.19 meters. The isn't really any acoustic treatment, but there are louvre panels in the restaurant that break up the sound somewhat.

I did a calibration with my Apogee One. This calibration is selected under Preferences->Soundcard->Calibration.

QUESTION: Is it a coincidence that the calibration peaks match the troughs in the measurement almost exactly?

So the SP03-SP04 output is running from Quest QA3004 amp to 2 x Cornered C6TRM (wired in series) and I thought it best to test each output separately. The first test I did was this one - SP03-SP04 - from midway between the 2 speakers at a1.5 meters high, aimed straight up with my Behringer ECM800 mic.

The results are in the attached .mdat file.

I did an EQ for SP03-SP04 and came up with the attached results (Screenshot 2015-12-17 18.09.44)

So I have a few queries that I need help with:

1) Is my calibration automatically taken into account when determining the EQ filters?
2) I only set the EQ filters to 4, but even if I set it higher, the trough at about 947 Hz isn't compensated for at a Target Level of 90.0 dB. Is that because it is out of the 15dB Individual Max Boost set under Filter Tasks?

I did another "Match Response to Target" at 80.0dB and the trough was compensated for.

QUESTION: Why if I do two "Match Responses.." at exactly the same settings, the EQ Filters are different every time. Why is that?

QUESTION: What criteria will I use to implement a "House Curve" in Preferences?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-17-15, 09:14 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Re: New measurement of restaurant and calibration

Can’t download your .mdat right now (I’m at work), but your sound card calibration is whacked, and that in turn is going to mess up any measurements you take. Honestly, you most likely don’t need a calibration. Most sound cards over $100 or pretty much ruler flat out of the box. I suggest ditching the calibration file and taking new measurements.

Re the house curve, here’s a link from the Help Files that explains how to implement one in REW.

http://www.roomeqwizard.com/help/hel...ousecurve.html

Regards,
Wayne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|

post #3 of 3 Old 12-17-15, 02:56 PM
REW Author

John

Re: New measurement of restaurant and calibration

The problem with the calibration file is there is a feedback loop, i.e. there is some form of monitoring active. You must correct that to get valid measurements (the main purpose of performing the soundcard calibration is to spot that).