Four SVS Sub Integration - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 23 Old 12-23-15, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Paul

My System
Four SVS Sub Integration

Well, I finally finished my systems EQ and managed to integrate all four SVS subs using REW (2xPB12NSD & 2xSB2000) and the subs to my satellite speakers using REW and Audyssey XT32.

I thought that posting my final results and approach might be interesting to some readers.

I could only get the required sub integration using REW. Audyssey XT32, in the various forms that I can support, would not provide the required level of sub integration.

This took an extraordinary amount of time and effort so I have attached a PDF of the high level overview for the entire process; it is 43 pages long.

The following graphs provide a quick overview of the final results:

Four SVS Sub Integration-17-final-sms-eq-pre-avp-eq-fr.jpg
17. Final Sub Response with only SMS EQ

Four SVS Sub Integration-18h-final-7.1-satellite-response.jpg
18H. Final 7.1 Frequency Response with AVP A1 XT32 EQ

Four SVS Sub Integration-19-final-7.1-satellite-response-sub-crossover-40hz.jpg
19. Final 7.1 Frequency Response with 40Hz Crossover

Four SVS Sub Integration-23-l-plus-r-without-subs.jpg
23. Final Left Plus Right With and Without Subs

PDF Dropbox Link:

https://www.dropbox.com/l/s/HvRIdhq70g16PGazo8I0kp

For those readers who do not trust file sharing web sites I have attached a zip of the PDF file.

Sub Sonics.pdf.zip

Hopefully you will find the information informative and I would like to hear opinions about my results; problem areas, possible improvements etc. If any of you can answer my question on page 42, I would be very grateful.

I realize that some of the graphs “suffered” a little in clarity when I inserted them into the document. If there are any that need to be posted directly to this thread please let me know.

If you are interested, there is a lot more information and pictures regarding the room design, construction and early tests if you follow this link to my original thread on the AVS Forum:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...my-v-room.html

Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 12-23-15, 07:57 PM
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers

Re: Four SVS Sub Integration

At a glance, you have gotten excellent results, frequency response wise.

How are the soundstage and imaging?
post #3 of 23 Old 12-24-15, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Paul

My System

Quote:
AudiocRaver wrote: View Post
At a glance, you have gotten excellent results, frequency response wise.

How are the soundstage and imaging?
While the overall frequency response is quite flat I was really aiming to get the subs integrated with each other and the satellites, minimize the LF decay times and obtain a good IR alignment. I have found that if any of these issues are "poor" it really affects bass "quality".

The imaging is very precise and stable while the depth of image is also good often feeling as if some instruments are actually behind the front wall. The soundstage is evenly spread between the front speakers with no apparent holes, but it is very dependent upon the mix. It is also quite common for the sound stage to appear to extend out either side of the front side walls and the speakers virtually just disappear.

Regards

Paul

post #4 of 23 Old 12-24-15, 10:09 AM
Elite Shackster

How are you able to get down to the 10s on 12s? How large is your room.

Master Electrician

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

XPA-7 & Krell Showcase 7 | XMC-1 | SVS Ultra Tower system | HSU VTF-15H MK2 | BenQ W1070 | Jamestown 135"
post #5 of 23 Old 12-24-15, 10:51 AM
Elite Shackster

Ok...

1. wow
2. skimmed through your PDF...
3. wow
4. you posses tons more info about REW and sub integration than I do
5. wow
6. ok 1800cuft sealed room in a room produces much desired results then converting a room in a home to this meaning you confirm my thoughts... I need a new house with dedicated purpose built room

also... wow. Keep up the good work and I want you to analyze my REW file.... better yet, can I just fly you in for a weekend? LOL. I'm adding a second sub soon and god I need to figure out how to get these things dialed in. Right now I just run ONE sweep of Dirac and call it good but I know if my lazy butt really went into your efforts then my gains would be dramatic

Master Electrician

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

XPA-7 & Krell Showcase 7 | XMC-1 | SVS Ultra Tower system | HSU VTF-15H MK2 | BenQ W1070 | Jamestown 135"
post #6 of 23 Old 12-24-15, 12:01 PM
Elite Shackster

Skimmed your AVS post and one final thought here.

did you at least bond your grounding to your main ground at SOME point? I understand you have a dedicated 100 amp feed and you did an isolated technical ground and a seperate safety ground but all of these should be bonded at a single point only at the main service entrance. I did mine at the ground rod in the ground.

I have my main ground rod for my house panel with a #2 wire between them. Then I have my second panel for my AV gear where the safety ground ties into the main panel but I have an isolated ground that goes down to the 3 ground rods I have installed and at those 3 rods I have a bond jumper to the main house ground rod.

all grounds have to have a common bond. Just checking to see if you do.

Master Electrician

post #7 of 23 Old 12-24-15, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Paul

My System

You answered this question above, it is only 1800 cuft and totally sealed except for a 4" fresh air vent that is only active when the HVAC or air circulation system is on. Remember there are four subs and the two subs that go down to 10HZ are corner loaded SB2000's.

SPL's in excess of about 95dB at 10Hz and below produce significant distortion, up to 50%. Above 15Hz I can support over 100dB with distortions down into the single digits.

However at frequencies this low all I do is feel the air pressure on me change and/or the room "flex", I do not really "hear" these frequencies even when running at high second and third order distortion.

Regards

Paul
post #8 of 23 Old 12-24-15, 01:48 PM
Elite Shackster

Quote:
Digione wrote: View Post
You answered this question above, it is only 1800 cuft and totally sealed except for a 4" fresh air vent that is only active when the HVAC or air circulation system is on. Remember there are four subs and the two subs that go down to 10HZ are corner loaded SB2000's.

SPL's in excess of about 95dB at 10Hz and below produce significant distortion, up to 50%. Above 15Hz I can support over 100dB with distortions down into the single digits.

However at frequencies this low all I do is feel the air pressure on me change and/or the room "flex", I do not really "hear" these frequencies even when running at high second and third order distortion.
Good job none the less. Lots of hard work and dedication and seems to of been over several years worth too. Much kuddos! Merry Christmas to you also

Master Electrician

post #9 of 23 Old 12-24-15, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Paul

My System

Quote:
Talley wrote: View Post
Ok...

1. wow
2. skimmed through your PDF...
3. wow
4. you posses tons more info about REW and sub integration than I do
5. wow
6. ok 1800cuft sealed room in a room produces much desired results then converting a room in a home to this meaning you confirm my thoughts... I need a new house with dedicated purpose built room

also... wow. Keep up the good work and I want you to analyze my REW file.... better yet, can I just fly you in for a weekend? LOL. I'm adding a second sub soon and god I need to figure out how to get these things dialed in. Right now I just run ONE sweep of Dirac and call it good but I know if my lazy butt really went into your efforts then my gains would be dramatic
Thanks for the wow, it was a lot of effort, most of it not much fun.

I am no expert at this even though I used to earn my living building professional recording and radio studios and still work in the broadcast industry as a consulting engineer. I am happy to look at your .mdat file but staff like John M. are far better qualified than I to do that.

Always happy to help though if I can.

Regards

Paul
post #10 of 23 Old 12-24-15, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Paul

My System

Quote:
Talley wrote: View Post
Skimmed your AVS post and one final thought here.

did you at least bond your grounding to your main ground at SOME point? I understand you have a dedicated 100 amp feed and you did an isolated technical ground and a seperate safety ground but all of these should be bonded at a single point only at the main service entrance. I did mine at the ground rod in the ground.

I have my main ground rod for my house panel with a #2 wire between them. Then I have my second panel for my AV gear where the safety ground ties into the main panel but I have an isolated ground that goes down to the 3 ground rods I have installed and at those 3 rods I have a bond jumper to the main house ground rod.

all grounds have to have a common bond. Just checking to see if you do.
All grounds/neutrals are bonded at the point of entry to the house ONLY. The 100 amp feed to the A/V room and the connectivity in the rack is then based upon a standard broadcast isolated technical grounding system. This ensures that beyond the point of entry, at no point is the neutral connected to the ground, this includes the new A/V panel and the equipment rack power distribution. All the grounds in the rack and the rack are then bonded to an isolated buss bar that is tied through an #8 copper wire to the A/V ground system. This ground point is not tied back to the house bonding point except via the ground connection in the 100 amp feeder.

Regards

Paul