Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Saffire sound card question

Tags
card saffire
937 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  jtalden 
#1 ·
Hi,
I need help figuring out how to make a loopback from my Focusrite Saffire 24 pro in REW MAC OSX.

My main concern is that the sound card is firewire and not USB which I read is not possible with a JAVA driver conflict.

Does it work or do I need another sound card?

#2 · (Edited)
Added LinkI used a Saffire Pro 14 for several years with Windows 7. It worked just fine with the Focusrite provided ASIO driver. [For some reason the ASIO4ALL driver did not always work.] I think the Saffire should work just fine on the Mac as well. There was an issue with REW and one of the MAC OS versions, but I think that may have been resolved with the recent REW versions? It's probably best to use one of the recent REW beta versions. v5.15 beta 12 is the latest, but other recent ones should work as well.

There are probably several ways to create the loopback. If I remember correctly my method was to use a TRS/TRS loopback cable for the connection (output 1 to input 1). Also, in the Saffire mixer I held the shift key and clicked the outputs to turn the output buttons to grey instead of blue or red. This bypassed some of the mixer functions? With the mixer active I had trouble finding settings that worked. I was confused by all the settings possible as I had never used a mixer before. The Saffire manual had noted this option in passing, but it was not obvious.

Bottom line is that it should work if the settings are correct, either with the mixer features active, or bypassed. Sometime ago, maybe 4-6 years, I posted more specific settings info here. If you still can't get it working, I will try to find that post for you. Maybe there was more info there.

Here is the Link

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.