Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

What's my EQ'd "ideal" target

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Wayne A. Pflughaupt 
#1 ·
Over the weekend, I inserted three EQ's into my system to correct the levels on my left/center/right. I worked towards a flat response curve, taming peaks and boosting valleys. The result is much improved balance...much smoother blend of sound. I also tuned my sub (no eq yet) and got the crossover settings right although I still have to play with the phase (I'm not sure I hear a difference).

While the sound is certainly more balanced and flatter, I know that in the real world, one does not always strive for flat frequency response. I know in my lexicon processor, I can boost Voice by 3-6db and make some other adjustments. While I could play and tune to ear, I'm not sure that my ear is anywhere close to the right ear. Last night watching some HDTV, the system sounded a bit muffled....and that might be due to over correction.

Does anyone have a good EQ curve for home theater that they would recommend....or is there some place on the web that shows how one might set an EQ for different types of music/voice/Home Theater?

#3 ·

Over the weekend, I inserted three EQ's into my system to correct the levels on my left/center/right. I worked towards a flat response curve, taming peaks and boosting valleys. The result is much improved balance...much smoother blend of sound.
If you’re new to full-range equalization, you might want to check this thread for lots of tips on how to properly equalize the main channels, so as to reap the benefits and avoid the pitfalls.

Last night watching some HDTV, the system sounded a bit muffled....and that might be due to over correction.
Could have been the particular program you were watching...

Does anyone have a good EQ curve for home theater that they would recommend....or is there some place on the web that shows how one might set an EQ for different types of music/voice/Home Theater?
There are a couple of articles on house curves at the link in my signature.

Regards,
Wayne

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.