Timing Reference Selection Not Retained - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 16 Old 01-13-17, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers

Timing Reference Selection Not Retained

John,

Thanks for such a great product!

Suggestion: The timing reference selection,

Preferences > analysis > impulse response calculation > timing reference

is not retained. It defaults to acoustic timing reference, which I never use, and I have to change it every time I start REW. Hopefully it would not be difficult in your next beta for you to make that selection be remembered between sessions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-13-17, 11:15 AM
Elite Shackster

Re: Timing Reference Selection Not Retained

Hi Wayne,

Odd

I just checked this out.

Versions 5.17 & 5.18 both retain any Timing Reference selection made ( upon re-opening REW ).

Have you nuked your REW preferences ( then closed>re-opened REW ) and then checked for this behavior ?

I'm running Win8.1 Pro . You ??

post #3 of 16 Old 01-13-17, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers

Quote:
EarlK wrote: View Post
Hi Wayne,

Odd

I just checked this out.

Versions 5.17 & 5.18 both retain any Timing Reference selection made ( upon re-opening REW ).

Have you nuked your REW preferences ( then closed>re-opened REW ) and then checked for this behavior ?

I'm running Win8.1 Pro . You ??

Good suggestion. I had uninstalled REW before installing 5.18, but not zapping the preferences. That did the trick! Thanks for the suggestion.

John, false alarm! My thanks for a great product bears repeating, though.

Still on Win7-64Pro.

post #4 of 16 Old 01-13-17, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers

I am back. When I first followed the above suggestion, it worked. That was with Java drivers. After switching to ASIO drivers, ASIO4ALL, it is back to not being retained properly. No Reference is retained, Acoustic Reference is retained, but Loopback Reference is always switched to Acoustic Reference. Is there something else I am missing?
post #5 of 16 Old 01-13-17, 01:36 PM
Elite Shackster

Quote:
AudiocRaver wrote: View Post
I am back. When I first followed the above suggestion, it worked. That was with Java drivers. After switching to ASIO drivers, ASIO4ALL, it is back to not being retained properly. No Reference is retained, Acoustic Reference is retained, but Loopback Reference is always switched to Acoustic Reference. Is there something else I am missing?
That's very interesting Wayne since;

My successful retention of said Timing Reference is actually with ASIO selected and then using ASIO4ALL as the driver.

I'm using ASIO4ALL ( dedicated to just this notebooks builtin Realtek soundcard as an ASIO wrapper ) but;
- I currently have no input showing as connected ( or selected ) within REWs preferences ( it's auto-disengaged since there isn't anything plugged into the 1/8" jack ).

How are you using ASIO4ALL ( eg; creating a composite driver for 2 soundcards ) ?

post #6 of 16 Old 01-13-17, 02:00 PM
Elite Shackster

I still can't REW to drop the LoopBack Timing Reference when using ASIO4ALL with either

a composite driver created ( from 2 soundcards ) or

using the generic USB interface WDM ( I just plugged in / a Behringer UCA222 ) or

selecting 44.1K or 48K sampling rates ( among a few other changes made with the "Analysis" tab ) .

So

post #7 of 16 Old 01-13-17, 02:15 PM
REW Author

John

If you are using a USB mic and have timing reference set to loopback, REW will change that to acoustic, since loopback is not possible with a USB mic. 'Using a USB mic' on Windows is assumed if a USB mic is currently plugged in, since Windows and ASIO4All went through a spell of not including the mic's name in the info returned when querying what was currently selected so there wasn't any way to know when the mic was being used.
post #8 of 16 Old 01-13-17, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers

AHA!

With a Umik-1 plugged in, the Acoustic timing reference is assumed. Remove the Umik-1, and the Loopback ref setting can be retained again. Sounds good, right?

BUT

My application uses an audio interface to give me a 2-channel digital output to a DDRC-22D, plus a Umik-1 for measurement and Dirac Live calibration. With the audio interface present, Loopback timing reference is easier for me. The assumption of acoustical reference with a Umik-1 is probably true 93.71% of the time, but almost never for me.

I would like to have the Loopback reference setting retained even when a Umik-1 is used.

John? Help?
post #9 of 16 Old 01-13-17, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers

John, I did not see your post until after my last post. Does my application not make sense as a valid way (although admittedly unusual) of having Loopback timing reference along with a Umik-1? I have done it before, and it does work.
post #10 of 16 Old 01-13-17, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers

I understand that Windows (or The System) can introduce small (plus/minus a few microseconds) of relative timing error between the USB mic and the USB audio interface when making a series of measurements. In some critical applications that error can be a problem, in most cases it is not.