Boom Mic Stand vs Other Types - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 6 Old 09-16-17, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

My System
Boom Mic Stand vs Other Types

Hi,

I'm going through the REW Step-by-Step guide (Rev 5.43, June 3, 2017) and saw it recommends using a boom mic stand. What, if any, is the advantage of a boom stand over a cheaper, generic mic stand? I can find generic mic stands much cheaper and don't want to spend the extra money for something I will use once.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-16-17, 04:35 PM
REW Author

John

Re: Boom Mic Stand vs Other Types

Main advantage is making it easier to place the mic at the listening position (i.e. where your head would be) without trying to balance a stand on top of your seat.
post #3 of 6 Old 09-17-17, 09:32 AM
Shackster

A typical mic stand (not talking about one for your desk, for example) should easily be tall enough to match head height while sitting... in fact if anything I'd be worried it might not go low enough, not that I would have to balance it on a chair. As long as the mic can be adjusted to seated-head-height, I can't imagine it would make any difference...? I just ordered a boom mic from Amazon for about $20 though, there are lots of options. And who knows, you might use it again in the future if you add a piece of furniture, change a piece of equipment, etc.

post #4 of 6 Old 09-17-17, 11:59 AM
REW Author

John

I was meaning that with a boom mic stand you can place the mic to make the measurements without having to either move the seat/sofa/chair or put the stand on it.
post #5 of 6 Old 09-17-17, 12:19 PM
Shackster

Ah gotcha. I suppose even that though depends on your chair... if it had a very high back for example you'd still have to at least rotate it out of the way if not move it.

Anyway, I suspect that for the OP's purposes, as long as you can physically place the stand such that the mic is at head level of where you would normally be sitting, without having to significantly alter the placement of things in the room, I would think that's going to be the deciding factor.
post #6 of 6 Old 09-18-17, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

My System

Thanks, guys...I don't have much furniture to move (single chair) and so was able to find a cheap camera tripod that works without having to wait for 2 days to get something from Amazon.