Room Measurments with REW Noob - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 43 Old 11-15-17, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Gerald

Re: Room Measurments with REW Noob

Well I tested just the sub from 10-200Hz. I ran REW with the Umik Pointed at the Subwoofer about 6" and the correct calibration file loaded and got the following reading, this was with no filters or EQ in the iNuke:

Room Measurments with REW Noob-subonly.jpg

I did set the HPF filter on the iNuke but I read a guide on How to set it below 20Hz it should be set to 16Hz?? the above graph does look like the Sub is working as it should?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 43 Old 11-16-17, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Gerald

OK I ran some more tests to day. this is the lates w/Front L/R + Sub graph.. I did the test from 2 - 20KHz but modeled the JPG for the sub Only..

AS you will see I still get a null from around 20-26hz?? I am unsure what is going on there as the separate sub test showed the sub is working at least I think it is Working Properly just that void there when doing the full test..

Does the above graph the post above this one show that the subwoofer is tuned at 17Hz ??

Room Measurments with REW Noob-new-sub.jpg
post #13 of 43 Old 11-16-17, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Gerald

OK I was making some mistakes with setting up REW.. I do believe I corrected them and have some new mdats.. I took 2 measurements and made notes in the files I saved..

One measurement was at listening position and SUB ONLY.. the 2nd was taken at 3feet from speaker center cone with the mic..

I made a mistake with the Mic setting I was setting the mic gain too 81 and it needed to be at like 10 or under.. I thought the laptop had Win 10 but it has Win 7 so I goofed there probally why they read so high..

I corrected that and here is a SPL Graph with the new measurements. they look similar but not as high DB wise..

Room Measurments with REW Noob-both-measurments.jpg

here are the 2 mdat files incase anyone wants a more detailed look:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AgDOJnMP-19IqSO0RBRxsnLpx4Yd

EDIT: I was rereading the faq and guide I was able to get Asio working last night. In the Guide it states to test the Speaker front L w/Sub?? Is that still how I should do it for a Full range reading??

Last edited by The_Nephilim; 11-17-17 at 01:21 PM.

post #14 of 43 Old 11-17-17, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Gerald

I had made some adjustments in the PEQ and came to a better graph.. here it is:

Room Measurments with REW Noob-subflat.jpg

Now I read some of the guides especially this one:

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...urve-long.html

I followed along and did as he described there to use a 1.6 smoothing and EQ it. From what I can tell I have an improvement from where I started.. I think the Subwoofer is about as good as I can get it from all I see and read..

Now should I bother measuring the other speakers in my system or would that be pointless as I plan on building some DIY Speakers??

Now a Couple of the measurements I had some configuration issues but currently I have Asio4all working on the laptop. I can now test all 8 channels.. I have a 7.1 system..

The One thing I don't get yet in the setup guide it states I should be able to set the AVR to 7.1 channel input which when I do I hear no sound.. I have to set it to TV on the AVR.

I am curious to know why I can not use the 7.1 channel input like when I run my SACD/DDVD-Audio Player Denon 1930ci?? Is this mode not the same they talk about in the setup guide that I set on my AVR Marantz 4001..
post #15 of 43 Old 11-19-17, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Gerald

OK Moving on I made some more measurements just a minute ago and mostly it was for measuring for the distance setting which I was able to do.. I was able to see what the distance was and set the Reference Speaker that was closest to the mik..

But I imagine these are good for regular measuring. The measurements are made at Main Listening Position and at 75DB SPL Reading..

I double checked the levels and set them as I think I finally figured out how to set it up correctly..

From what I was able to discover setting the levels the AVR is supposed to set the Main Volume Automatically but with my receiver I have to adjust the Main Volume to get it set..

So the Problem I am having is trying to figure out what to set the Main Volume Level at.. I seen some say to set the MVL at ZERO but that seems way too loud..

Soon I am getting a new AVR With Audyssey and that should not matter anymore as the newer AVR Play the Pink Noise at a Set level..

Here is the mdat in case anybody wants a peak.. Remember these are the speakers I will be replacing.. Right now I tuned up the sub a bit and it goes down to 16hz preet loud now..

Now sure what else to do with REW and this post seems a bit slow so hopefully I can get the new AVR in January and get the new speakers started in Feb... Still trying to decide what DIY Speakers to get.. I am thinking maybe those bookshelves I saw a DIY Group..

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AgDOJnMP-19IqSb1VyjwaeQfb8gh
post #16 of 43 Old 11-28-17, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Gerald

Hi All,

I was wondering if anybody still visits here in the REW section of the Forums.. Been kinda quiet here last week or so..

OR is it because of the Holiday..?
post #17 of 43 Old 11-29-17, 10:54 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Sorry Gerald, but for some reason I don't think I was getting an e-mail notification for your thread.

In any event, your last graph looks pretty good.

Regards,
Wayne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|

post #18 of 43 Old 11-29-17, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Gerald

So do you think I will need any room treatments?? did you see the sub measurements I took?

In the MLP there was a dip but when I measured from about 1foot away from the subwoofer it looked fine, Do you think there is some sort of cancelation thing going on with my sub..

I did try and move the sub I even turned it 180 facing the rear wall about 1 foot.. IT still looked the same with the dip..
post #19 of 43 Old 11-30-17, 02:00 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Wayne A. Pflughaupt

If youíre talking about the dip seen in Post #13, itís caused by the subís interaction with the room. A different location might take care of it. Typically best response is achieved with the sub in a corner with uninterrupted walls in both directions (i.e. no open doorways). Typically there will be a peak in response, but that is easily dealt with via parametric EQ.

Just noticed your pictures from the first page of the thread. Iím shocked that such an impressive sub is dead in the water below 30 Hz. What happened to the 17 Hz tuning?

Regards,
Wayne

|

post #20 of 43 Old 11-30-17, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Gerald

Quote:
Wayne A. Pflughaupt wrote: View Post
If youíre talking about the dip seen in Post #13, itís caused by the subís interaction with the room. A different location might take care of it. Typically best response is achieved with the sub in a corner with uninterrupted walls in both directions (i.e. no open doorways). Typically there will be a peak in response, but that is easily dealt with via parametric EQ.

Just noticed your pictures from the first page of the thread. Iím shocked that such an impressive sub is dead in the water below 30 Hz. What happened to the 17 Hz tuning?

Regards,
Wayne
Well that is exactly what I been trying to determine with the sub.. Either the sub is broke or it is not the sub I thought it was..

I really do not know what to do.. The sub is supposed to be a Mach 5 IXL 18.4 with a 17hz tune.. I do not believe there is any markings on the sub itself so either the sub is broke or it is a fake..