Please check me. Did I do this right? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 6 Old 01-22-18, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Guthrie

Please check me. Did I do this right?

I am trying to use my mini dsp with rew to eq my 4 subs. I have an 7.2.4 CH system with 4 subs.

I disabled Audyssey, and took an initial measurement sweep using the center and subs.

I than used minidsp to level match the subs with the CC.

I set the phase on each individual sub using RTA.

Once I had the subs working together in minidsp I ran a measurement sweep again.

Than I applied EQ with Var Smoothing. I imported those results into Minidsp.

Ran another measurement sweep.

Finally I ran Audyssey, and ran the last sweep.

this is my result between the center, and subs.

Was my workflow correct?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by oledurt; 01-22-18 at 03:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-22-18, 06:08 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Re: Please check me. Did I do this right?

Work flow sounds good. Anyway you can run Audyssey without it messing with the subs? I’d personally trust the REW/minDSP EQ for the subs rather than Audyssey.

Regards,
Wayne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|

post #3 of 6 Old 01-22-18, 07:07 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

I like Waynes thinking.
Although the work flow sounds good, Ive seen mixed results. Ive seen people say run minidsp first so Audyssey has less to do. IME, running the filters into the mindsp after Audyssey has been better.

post #4 of 6 Old 01-23-18, 01:40 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
Guthrie

I settled on running minidsp to level match and set delays on the four subs. Then I used auto eq in rew to get the subs response flat, loaded those correction filters into the minidsp. Lastly, I run Audyssey and let it do its thing. I remeasured, and the sub response is nice and flat.

Audyssey sees the quad subs as one, and does its thing. I am getting extension down to 10hz. Slightly raised lower end due to Audyssey Dynamic EQ.

I know the Audyssey folks recommends to run any sub EQ before running Audyssey.

I was just watching Prometheus, which is good to test bass. it has deep, and long bass tones. If you have any boominess or localization issues due to untamed peaks/dips in the bass response it will definitely expose those.

The soundtrack played flawless, I heard all this detail in the low end that I had lost before. Accurate, and deep bass with no localization...I am satisfied with the results I achieved.

I put a lot of work into placing my subs in the correct locations, and had to even move the room around a bit to accomplish this. Than put the work into learning REW and working with the minidsp 2x4 HD.

It paid off! I have achieved a bass response I did not think possible. Very happy...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #5 of 6 Old 01-23-18, 02:39 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

Very nice indeed! Im glad youve found success. My minidsp experience had also been very good. I used a BFD for a long time with good results, but I wanted the streamlined interaction and control of the minidsp.
Congrats!
post #6 of 6 Old 01-23-18, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Guthrie

Quote:
willis7469 wrote: View Post
Very nice indeed! Im glad youve found success. My minidsp experience had also been very good. I used a BFD for a long time with good results, but I wanted the streamlined interaction and control of the minidsp.
Congrats!

I got it even better. I have three seats in my theater. For each sub I took a reading in each seat (3 total measurements per sub). I averaged the three readings for each sub.

Then I used REW to EQ each response. I loaded each EQd response into its corresponding sub channel in minidsp.

I played all four subs together, and took a reading in each seat. I averaged these responses, and EQd it. I entered this EQ into minidsp as a global EQ for all 4 subs.

Now I have eqd all subs independently, and added a global EQ for all 4.

This is the response I got. Amazing!

Last edited by oledurt; 01-25-18 at 03:19 PM.