I think Vista might be the devil! Anyone?? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 6 Old 03-18-09, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
frank

I think Vista might be the devil! Anyone??

Ok, here it is, newbe here- longtime audio guy, I work closely with an acoustical designer and we needed to do some simple sweeps of a room we are looking to treat, easy enough right? I thought so. Armed with my new Dell XPS M1530 vista 64bit I downloaded REW, (great program BTW!) I grabbed my Tascam US144 and an 8000 mic. ( I love that you guys have cal files for it!!!) anyway so here it all goes south... I Download REW and the new 64bit drivers for the us144. I install those the machine sees us144 no prob, and the REW file loads. I made sure I had the latest JAVA Update and all seemed good. I went to setting and wanted to cal the interface B4 I went on site. Well....After 4 hours! I was about to kill myself and this computer!
Seems for some reason REW will only pass audio for a few seconds then decides to lock up. I was able to get levels but every time I want to run a sweep it would drop out audio and not give me a curve. after multiple uninstall and reinstall of US144 drivers and REW I tried an old XP machine, WORKS LIKE A CHAMP!
So, my $1000,00 dell XPS good for email , the 5 yr old compaq? well, that's going to allow me to do my job! Wow, I feel good about my Vista purchase!(insert sarcasm here.) LOL. Anyway, thanks for letting me rant, if anyone has experienced anything like this with vista 64 please share, misery loves company
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-18-09, 02:34 PM
Elite Shackster
brucek

Re: I think Vista might be the devil! Anyone??

I'm using Vista 32 bit on my new laptop with an external soundcard and REW works fine - no problems.

Actually, after a bit of a slow learning curve, I find that Vista is quite a good operating system. I like it much better than Xp for all media stuff - pictures, video, music, etc.

Perhaps the 64 bit driver for the soundcard is a bit suspect. I don't think it's a Vista problem. I would bet a Tascam programmer problem.

brucek
post #3 of 6 Old 03-18-09, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
frank

Actually Bruce, I would agree with you, the only snag is that I am sideways about not being able to use the machine for this simple purpose. It really worked my noodle having to bring two machines on site. one for visio files and the other to just sweep the room a few times, ARRGGGG. And you are probably right- it is the dang vista64 drivers making it all poopy... I should have realized when i ordered it, but that 4 gigs of ram just looked to good! LOL. thanks for the reply. I appreciate it.

post #4 of 6 Old 03-18-09, 05:40 PM
Senior Shackster
Pinhead

Did you try running and/or installing REW in XP compatibility mode?
post #5 of 6 Old 03-18-09, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
frank

I did , and it didn't even want to load, kept throwin a Java error. Good question thou, when I thought about it, I figured it would absolutely fix the problem... :'(

That makes me believe Bruce is onto something with the Tascam driver, when I run REW without the Tascam and use the built in card it seems to work fine. so, there is even more suspicion of the Tascam driver!
post #6 of 6 Old 03-18-09, 05:51 PM
Elite Shackster
brucek

All the external soundcard manufacturers were painfully slow getting basic 32 bit Vista drivers out on the market, and they've been even slower with the 64 bit versions. No doubt they're not testing them too thoroughly and you probably found a bug. Send them an e-mail perhaps.

brucek