Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Can't get passed Initial Setup

4K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  9696f3150d 
#1 ·
I have used REW over many years, but not for the last 6-8 years.
I want to re-calibrate my sub (four x 15" in an infinite baffle).
I have downloaded the latest REW, but am using old equipment - EMM6 mic into a XENYX803 pre-amp, and then into a Sound Blaster Creative Digital Music LX connected to a USB input on my Windows10 laptop.

I can calibrate the soundcard, but when I try the next step - Checking Levels - I can't seem to get the Input levels up anywhere near to minimum levels i.e. above -18dB.
And the light on top of the Creative sound card continually flashes.:surprise:
I've checked all the settings countless times, including Creative's Windows 10 drivers for my soundcard.
I never had this problem previously.

I'm wondering if my soundcard is faulty.
Or perhaps I should be using an older version of REW.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.:smile:

#2 ·
Have you selected the correct input channel in REW, i.e. the one your mic is plugged into? The input level with a speaker cal signal playing at 75 dB or thereabouts will depend on your mic input gain, it may not get above -30 or -40 dBFS even at the maximum input gain, but that isn't a problem.

#3 ·
Thanks John for your quick reply. :smile:
In REW both input and output devices are correctly set as the right channel of the external sound card (as recommended in your original tutorial). The Mic preamp and the power amp are both connected to the right channels of the sound card. The card was recognised by REW and I had no problems in calibrating the card.

Perhaps over time the Mic (EMM6) has lost its sensitivity. However in the preamp, if I turn the master volume up, I can induce some clipping.
Note that when I do that, the input level in REW doesn't move (stays around -45dB). BTW, this is with the input volume in REW at the maximum of 1.00.

I had no problems when I used this same set up several years ago, the only different I think, is that I was using Windows 7 and an older version of REW.

I did try a initial measure of the sub, but I received a message saying that my signal was to low. The SPL did not appear on the graph, although the phase had been plotted but actually looked like a SPL plot.

I thought I had solved the problem when I found some Windows 10 drivers for the sound card off the Sound Blaster site, but they didn't make any difference.

#5 ·
Does the Creative soundcard work otherwise? The reason I ask is because when you increased the XENYX volume, nothing changed in REW. That doesn’t sound right at all. Perhaps the Creative’s Windows 10 drivers aren’t cutting it.

In any event, assuming your EMM6 is calibrated, you might want upgrade to a USB interface (that does what the XENYX and Soundblaster does in a single box). Some of these can be pretty complex and expensive, but fortunately for REW the simplest devices work the best. Current models that should work fine are the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 and PreSonus Studio 24c or AudioBox iTwo. Older models like the TASCAM US-222 and M-Audio Moble Pre also work well and can be found pretty cheap on ebay. Just make sure any of the older ones can get Windows 10 drivers

Regards,
Wayne

#7 ·
Thank Wayne.
I bought the EMM6 calibrated through HTS.:smile:
I keep worrying that the creative box is my problem. My problem existed even before I realised I didn't have any Windows 10 drivers.
I'm going to try the ideas I posted to John, but if that fails, then I'll start looking at the USB preamps you have recommended.
(wish I had some mates with similar interests and equipment):crying2:

#11 ·
I found a small adapter plug for the mic/headphone socket on my laptop.
Connected the DSP1124P/amp directly to the laptop, as well as the output of the Xenyx.
Check Levels looked quite good, but when I ran a Measure, the onboard sound is useless - dived from 100Hz down to zero at 60Hz.
Last resort will be a better cable from the Xeynx to the Creative box, before I start looking for a USB pre-amp and/or sound card.

#12 ·
To John and Wayne
You two are absolute legends, and I feel so embarrassed wasting your time.:crying2:

Was digging around amongst all my cables, adapters, etc. and I found the cable I had always used between the Xenyx and the sound card - 1/4" mono jack one end, and a gold RCA at the other.
When I pulled out the one I was using, I suddenly realised that the 1/4" jack was a stereo jack.
Hooked up the proper cable, and voila - everything works perfectly.:grin2:

Thanks so much for your patience.

#13 · (Edited)
just have to open it and check the ribbon cables(make sure none came loose) and also the backs of the silicone part of the buttons. I used to get rubbing alcohol with a q-tip and wipe all around the back so the buttons clean contact (silicone has small "metallic" black dots) and activate. That is what actually completes the circuit when you press the button down. But if even after you do all of that still no response then you might have Kodi Lucky Patcher nox you a parts PSP.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.