Using REW to setup B&K PEQ and notch filter - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 30 Old 10-05-09, 12:04 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Re: Using REW to setup B&K PEQ and notch filter

Quote:
brucek wrote: View Post
I'm assuming the new sub will have better extension than the existing sub. If that's the case, then it's an extremely bad idea to keep the challenged sub in the mix. You're wasting the extension of the new sub. Only subs with similar response should be mixed.
Ordinarily I'd agree with you on this, but don't you feel that in this case the small sub (green trace) will help fill in the hole that the Velo will have (red trace)? More power and deeper extension won't eliminate the hole he's going to have at 37 Hz in that location...

Regards,
Wayne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 30 Old 10-05-09, 12:10 PM
Elite Shackster
brucek

Quote:
XLR mic input should be connected to the sound card's line out.
No, when connecting a mixer into the soundcard calibration loop, you connect the soundcard line-out to the mixers line-in (on the UB802 the line-in is directly below the MIC XLR input connector). Then the mixers main-out is connected to the soundcards line-in. That's the loop.

You require a couple (1/4" TS to RCA adapters) to accomplish this.

Yes, this hookup bypasses the mic preamp part of the mixer, but it has been established that the mic preamp has negligible effect compared to the line stages in the mixer.

Simply setup the dials approximately as shown below, except the mic isn't used and the phantom power is of course turned off.

Using REW to setup B&K PEQ and notch filter-euro-802-ecm-preamp-dial-setup.jpg

brucek
post #13 of 30 Old 10-05-09, 12:10 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Quote:
JimP wrote: View Post
Jarrod,

My bad...you're correct in that the XLR mic input should be connected to the sound card's line out.
We typically don't recommend trying to include the mic pre-amp in the soundcard calibration. Often it's problematic. brucek's tests on the UB802's mic pre-amp has shown that it's virtually flat anyway.

Regards,
Wayne

Edit - looks like brucek hit "send" before I did - LOL

|

post #14 of 30 Old 10-05-09, 12:15 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Quote:
Trying to intergrate those two subs can be a real headache (been there, done that...gave up). I'd suggest trying to get the new one optomized and after you're happy with it, then see about adding back the other one.
I assume you're talking about measuring and equalizing each sub independently? Have you tried the "Sonnie method?" He measures and EQs their combined output and says it works great. Kinda makes sense I guess, when at the listening position you're hearing them both together anyway...

Regards,
Wayne

|

post #15 of 30 Old 10-05-09, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Jarrod

Ok guys, thanks for the additional input. Sounds like I'll skip the XLR adapter and continue to use the mic line in to receive the signal from the soundcard. Now to figure out why I didn't get any signal when I did it this way the first time....

My subwoofer arrived with defective driver So, no woofage until I can swap in the replacement that the manufacturer is shipping today. Hopefully I'll have everything I need by the weekend...
post #16 of 30 Old 10-05-09, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Jarrod

I picked up a pair of 1/4" TS to RCA adapters after work and am now able to measure the response of my UB802. Earlier I was using stereo 1/4" TRS to stereo 3.5mm adapters that I had laying around and these must not be wired in a way that brings the right channel back to the soundcard.

Black is the soundcard by itself and blue is the UB802 in the signal path (both with the soundcard calibration loaded). +0.5/-2.0dB from 5 to 20k is pretty clean.

Using REW to setup B&K PEQ and notch filter-ub802.jpg

Thanks for getting me straightened out on the wiring.

Last edited by Jarrod; 10-05-09 at 08:02 PM.
post #17 of 30 Old 10-05-09, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Jarrod

Quote:
The other thing is that on the Ref 50, you only have the capability of using a single notch filter without much latitude for the Q which isn't given as a Q setting. You really need more flexability and need to look at other manual eqing options.
Yeah, obviously I have no expectation of getting really far with the Ref50 built-in EQ but it is better than nothing. I think the new Ref70 has three notches, which is a lot more useful. I may end up with a BFD at some point but if I can get this new subwoofer in decent shape with my existing equipment then I'll put that expense off for a little while.

Just being able to do reasonable measurements for placement and crossover settings is helping a lot. I am already shocked to see dramatically I improved the bass response at the listening position by simply moving my old sub to the front of the room.
post #18 of 30 Old 10-06-09, 01:44 AM
Senior Shackster
Jim

Congrats on getting this far. It looks like you only have a very slight drop over the subwoofer range. That's the way its suppose to work but knowing rather than assuming helps put your mind at rest.

One thing though in brucek's photo of the mixer, use a xlr cable and some kind of tripod, mic stand,etc. to get the mic in at the correct position for either single or multiple readings.

I also have an interest in a Ref 70 upgrade from my Ref 50 but will wait until the high rez audio upgrade actually shows up. Its already questionable whether or not it'll show up as its already so late. I'd like to believe that B&K is financially strong enough to endure the economy but who really knows. They're also some other features I'd like to have that may not be in a completed Ref 70 such as some form of steady sound, dynamic eqing for sub and room eqing for the other speakers.

For the short term though, with the popularity of the new SVS equalizer, you might be able to find pretty good deals on the Velodyne SMS-1 and the Behringers.
post #19 of 30 Old 10-06-09, 06:50 AM
Elite Shackster
brucek

Quote:
+0.5/-2.0dB from 5 to 20k is pretty clean.
Yeah, looks about the same as my plot with the UB802. It's not going to alter the measurements you take that much since the response of the mixer is so good, but you may as well have the response built into the soundcard cal if you can.....

brucek
post #20 of 30 Old 10-06-09, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
Jarrod

Quote:
Congrats on getting this far. It looks like you only have a very slight drop over the subwoofer range. That's the way its suppose to work but knowing rather than assuming helps put your mind at rest.
Thanks. Yes, I am a scientist by profession and so "assuming" doesn't get it done for me

Quote:
One thing though in brucek's photo of the mixer, use a xlr cable and some kind of tripod, mic stand,etc. to get the mic in at the correct position for either single or multiple readings.
I've got it on a mic stand, with the mic pointed at the front of the room, angled toward the ceiling at a ~30 degree angle.

Quote:
I also have an interest in a Ref 70 upgrade from my Ref 50 but will wait until the high rez audio upgrade actually shows up. Its already questionable whether or not it'll show up as its already so late. I'd like to believe that B&K is financially strong enough to endure the economy but who really knows. They're also some other features I'd like to have that may not be in a completed Ref 70 such as some form of steady sound, dynamic eqing for sub and room eqing for the other speakers.
Yeah my thinking is the same as yours. I have never been one to buy equipment on promises - they seem to fall through all too often for various reasons. I have been really happy with my Ref50 so would be interested in the Ref70, but also have wondered whether or not a small company like B&K can weather this economy. Also, I'm not sure how the Ref70 can be a very successful product in the marketplace if they don't add some form of semi-automated room EQ. Even sub-$1000 receivers have this feature now.

Quote:
For the short term though, with the popularity of the new SVS equalizer, you might be able to find pretty good deals on the Velodyne SMS-1 and the Behringers.
I'll keep my eye out. I haven't really spent any time understanding what the strengths and weaknesses are on these different units, other than that I know the SMS-1 can do its job without an external software such as REW. Not sure that's worth the extra $$$ to me since I've already got the REW setup.

Last edited by Jarrod; 10-06-09 at 07:53 AM.