Please Help Me Pick Best Equipment - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 4 Old 06-05-10, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Please Help Me Pick Best Equipment

Hello,

I have just discovered REW and am excited about setting up my own measuring system. Also, I am just about to buy a new laptop. So the purpose of this post is to get recommendations for equipment before I buy the wrong gear.

My goal is to buy the best equipment that will give me the most accurate and useful results. I have read the post entitled "REW Cabling and Connection Basics." In the first part of the article, the Galaxy CM-140 is favored over a Radio Shack meter. However, later the author discusses using an ECM8000 microphone and a XENYX 502 preamp. However, he also mentions the Behringer preamp. So, here are my first questions:

1. Will I get more accurate and useful results using a Galaxy CM-140 meter or the combination of a microphone and a preamp?

2. If the microphone and preamp are the best alternative, is the best combination the ECM8000 mic and the XENYX 502 preamp?

Then there is the requirement for a line-in and a line-out jack from the sound card (the Dell Inspiron 15 laptop I was considering only has a line out, but only a mic in jack). So, perhaps an external USB sound card is the way to go. Regarding external cards, the author notes "many members are using the Creative SoundBlaster Live 24 bit external card." Is that my best choice?

Finally, there is the question of which laptop I should buy.

3. Only considering the laptop's use in the REW setup, are there any aspects (e.g., type of CPU, screen, etc.) that are necessary or helpful (other than as discussed above)?

Thank you for helping me avoid making a big mistake.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-05-10, 04:27 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System
Re: Please Help Me Pick Best Equipment

Quote:
SamSpade wrote: View Post
1. Will I get more accurate and useful results using a Galaxy CM-140 meter or the combination of a microphone and a preamp?
You will still require an spl meter and the Galaxy is a very good one. If all your planning to do is readings from 10-12,000Hz the galaxy is all you will need.

Quote:
2. If the microphone and preamp are the best alternative, is the best combination the ECM8000 mic and the XENYX 502 preamp?
Yes if your doing full range readings the ECM8000 is your best option but as mentioned above you will still need an SPL meter so that you can set the proper levels.

Quote:
Then there is the requirement for a line-in and a line-out jack from the sound card (the Dell Inspiron 15 laptop I was considering only has a line out, but only a mic in jack). So, perhaps an external USB sound card is the way to go. Regarding external cards, the author notes "many members are using the Creative SoundBlaster Live 24 bit external card." Is that my best choice?
The external cards work good but if Dell gives you the option to upgrade the internal soundcard to a soundblaster it will usually give you the option of changing the mic input to a line input with the click of a mouse button. My Dell Studio does than and makes it much less complicated.

Quote:
3. Only considering the laptop's use in the REW setup, are there any aspects (e.g., type of CPU, screen, etc.) that are necessary or helpful (other than as discussed above)?
REW does not need allot of horsepower so just a basic setup will do just fine.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #3 of 4 Old 06-05-10, 06:34 PM
Elite Shackster

Greg

As tony correctly said, if you're looking for a full range measuremnt, the Behringer mic will be preferred over the Galaxy meter... preferable still would be to buy one with custom created calibration files. the Dayton EMM6 is another option which seems to come with good calibration files.

Tony's suggestion of upgrading the internal soundcard is a good one. I personally use the SB Live 24 External with no problems, but more modern ones will be easier to find today. The UCA202 is inexpensive and popular. Always search the web for possible compatibility issues between the soundcard and OS you choose before buying.

-Greg

Don't worry... nothing new here, I've already made that mistake. Trust me.

post #4 of 4 Old 06-05-10, 07:54 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Since you’re needing an outboard sound card, you might consider a USB audio interface like the Tascam US122 or M-Audio Mobile Pre. They are a “all in one” option that has the mic pre amp and USB connection in a single package. Costs a bit more than the UCA202 and Xenyx 502, but there is less cabling and connections.

Regards,
Wayne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|