New to REW: Initial Setup - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 7 Old 07-23-10, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

New to REW: Initial Setup

Greetings all,

I am just getting into REW and audio calibration in general. I've done the THX Home Theater Pro 1 course and am currently working my way through Floyd E. Toole's book - Sound Reproduction: Loudspeakers and Rooms

I have got myself a new laptop, a pair of Cross-Spectrum calibrated Dayton Audio EMM-6 Mics and an ART USB Dual Pre.

1st question I have is how to hook up for the soundcard cal? Do I just connect the mic input to the headphone (or monitor) output on the back?

Thank you for taking the time to read this and thank you for REW!!

Stele.

P.S. I'd post links but this is my very 1st post and I'm not allowed yet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-23-10, 10:42 AM
Senior Shackster

Bob

Re: New to REW: Initial Setup

There's a good cabling and set up guide here.. I'm just about to re-familiarise myself with it all! There's more links here too.

Also the Help guide in REW also goes through the calibration routine....

|JVC - PJ HD750 | Sony KL-50W2 |Denon 3805 + POA-T10 Biamp| Denon 2900 | B&Ws 604s3/602s3/LCR600s3 in 7.1 | SVS PB12-ISD | BFD | Sony PS3 Slim |SkyHD+ | Cables Scorpion & Mark Grant|

Last edited by Malice; 07-23-10 at 11:05 AM.
post #3 of 7 Old 07-23-10, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

I forgot to mention that I've looked through the setup help files. I don't have a 'line input' only 2 mic inputs will this soundcard cal still work as intended? I assume a lot of people go from line out to mic in as not a lot of sound cards would have line in on laptops would they?

post #4 of 7 Old 07-23-10, 10:39 PM
Shackster

Kevin

My System

You will want to get an USB external sound card with line-in.

Here is a post with my experience Win7 and SoundBlaster X-Fi that I am quite happy with.

You can check out the "SPL Meters | Mic's | Calibration | Sound Cards" forum for other user recommendations.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-24-10, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Thanks a bunch guys, with some more poking around on the forums I found a thread that covers almost exactly what I want. You guys are awesome. Lets hope in the future I can become proficient at it and be answering questions to be helpful like everyone seems to be around here.

Thanks again

P.S. I found what I needed here http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...how-setup.html
post #6 of 7 Old 07-24-10, 11:59 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Glad you found a thread to point you in the right direction. If I read it right, that thread didn’t indicate how the OP generated a calibration file for the ART. Don’t know if you were aware of it or not, but the ART’s mic inputs are XLR / 1/4-inch TRS Combi jacks. That means they’ll accept a 1/4” plug in addition to an XLR mic cable. To calibrate the sound card, you can loop a cable with unbalanced (TS) 1 4” plugs between the input and output to generate your calibration file.

Regards,
Wayne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|

post #7 of 7 Old 07-25-10, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Thank Wayne,

I knew the mic inputs were combo XLR and 1/4" TRS inputs but only just realized you can make them line inputs by turning phantom power off and turning the gain down to zero. I looped back the headphone out put on the back (with the 'mix' selector set all the way to 'computer') to a mic input on the front as line-in. I was getting clipping at the start and could not figure out why, I then re-read the setup and realized I had both the left and right connectors plugged in, I disconnected the left and it worked an absolute treat.

Thanks again all. I will surely be lurking these forums more and more as I learn to use REW and get into acoustics more as well.

Stele