Comments on my first measurements? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 73 Old 05-25-09, 07:38 PM
elee532
Inactive

Comments on my first measurements?

Any thoughts on my first measurements. The first graph is sub only (custom built Rythmik set at 20Hz mid dampening), the second is sub+mains, and the third is a waterfall of the sub+mains. Any thoughts on how this looks?

One question that I have as an amateur... why is 10hz to 40Hz so much louder than 40Hz to 200Hz? Is this how it's supposed to be?
Attached Thumbnails
Comments on my first measurements?-test1_sub.jpg  

Comments on my first measurements?-test1_sub-mains.jpg  

Comments on my first measurements?-test1_waterfall.jpg  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 73 Old 05-25-09, 08:23 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Re: Comments on my first measurements?

Quote:
why is 10hz to 40Hz so much louder than 40Hz to 200Hz? Is this how it's supposed to be?
Every sub/room is different.

Impressive extension, for sure. Any other location options that might minimize that 55 Hz null?

Regards,
Wayne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|

post #3 of 73 Old 05-26-09, 11:39 AM
elee532
Inactive

Thanks for the reply Wayne. I do have some other placement options. I'm mostly trying to confirm that I am using REW correctly.

Is it true that I can put the sub in the primary seating position and then take readings at various spots in the room to see what it would like like if I placed the sub in that location? If so, does it matter which direction I point the sub when I put it in the primary listening position (I have a front-firing sub).

Also, my primary use is for music listenting, with home theater a close second. As a result, I suspect I would prefer to focus more on that 30hz to 80hz region?

Oh, one other question for now... when I originally created my soundcard calibration file, I was connected to my pre-pro via the soundcard's analog outs. I have since switched to the soundcard's SPDIF output. Do I need to create a new soundcard calibration?

Thanks!

post #4 of 73 Old 05-26-09, 12:57 PM
Elite Shackster
brucek

Quote:
I have since switched to the soundcard's SPDIF output. Do I need to create a new soundcard calibration?
How do you propose to do that?

Quote:
I suspect I would prefer to focus more on that 30hz to 80hz region?
Your bottom end is a bit heavy for music.

Quote:
Is it true that I can put the sub in the primary seating position and then take readings at various spots in the room
Yes, read this.

Quote:
does it matter which direction I point the sub when I put it in the primary listening position
Not really. Put it on the floor in front of the couch and point it at your system. Once you find a good spot with the RTA, move the sub there and fine tune the position.

brucek
post #5 of 73 Old 05-26-09, 06:06 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

elee,

brucek pretty much covered it. I'll just add:

Quote:
Also, my primary use is for music listenting, with home theater a close second. As a result, I suspect I would prefer to focus more on that 30hz to 80hz region?
Yup. Lots going on in that region with bass instruments, and your response there is pretty rough (as you can see).

Regards,
Wayne

|

post #6 of 73 Old 05-26-09, 08:08 PM
elee532
Inactive

brucek, Wayne,

Thank you for the replies!

To the soundcard calibration question... I guess I hadn't quite thought it through all the way. I guess I MUST use the analog outs on the soundcard to do the calibration.

Any thoughts besides placement as the reason for the lesser performance in the mid-bass region? I've done a fairly thorough job of treating room corners with superchunk bass traps.

Thanks!
post #7 of 73 Old 05-26-09, 08:17 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Quote:
Any thoughts besides placement as the reason for the lesser performance in the mid-bass region?
Nope. You'll probably have to consult with the knowledgeable folks at our DIY Subwoofer Forum for that.

Quote:
I've done a fairly thorough job of treating room corners with superchunk bass traps.
Although traps can reduce the distance between the worst peaks and valleys, their main function is to reduce low frequency ringing. Your waterfall chart shows yours are doing that quite nicely.

Regards,
Wayne

|

post #8 of 73 Old 05-26-09, 09:20 PM
Senior Shackster

weverb

Quote:
elee532 wrote: View Post
Any thoughts besides placement as the reason for the lesser performance in the mid-bass region?
Quote:
elee532 wrote: View Post
(custom built Rythmik set at 20Hz mid dampening)
What about playing with the phase and crossover point? Also, can you change or try different settings. Maybe this one is boosting the 20Hz region too much. There is some eq reference here:

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/faq.html#eq
post #9 of 73 Old 05-28-09, 11:48 PM
Jake

Make sure you have the crossover adjusted all the way up on the sub itself and adjusted accordingly on the receiver. Seeing your response on the low end try the 28hz mode as well.
post #10 of 73 Old 05-29-09, 08:02 AM
elee532
Inactive

Thanks for the suggestion. The readings above do have the crossover turned all the way up. I'm hoping to make some adjustments this weekend and will try the 28Hz setting.