REW V5 Tips - Page 10 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

1Likes

post #91 of 114 Old 07-31-15, 10:19 PM
Shackster

Re: REW V5 Tips

Hello John, I have not used REW for a while and forgotten something. I am using a Umik Mic and have a cal file. Do I use the same cal. file on the soundcard tab? It let me use the same file on both the soundcard and the Mic/Meter tabs but leaving the soundcard page blank yielded slightly different frequency response in the high frequencies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 114 Old 08-01-15, 06:48 AM Thread Starter
REW Author

John

Quote:
SHNEE wrote: View Post
I am using a Umik Mic and have a cal file. Do I use the same cal. file on the soundcard tab?
No, the mic cal file is only for the mic, otherwise you are applying the cal twice.
post #93 of 114 Old 08-01-15, 08:12 AM
Shackster

Thanks John, that explains why the two graphs were slightly different in the high frequencies. Another quick question, how I do I change the color of the curves? If I displayed more than one on the screen, they often had the same color. I managed to change them on the "View" tab and fooled around with the "trace colors" but I really didn't know if I did it right because the results seemed random each time regardless of the color I clicked on. For example, am I supposed to click on set default colors after click on a color of the "choose a color" pop up chart?

post #94 of 114 Old 08-02-15, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
REW Author

John

You can change the colour of any individual trace by clicking on the icon that looks like a paintbrush on the measurement panel. The default colours for new and existing measurements can be restored by clicking on Set Default Colours. If "Save trace colour with measurement" is selected on the view screen the colour a measurement used is saved in the mdat file and restored when it is next loaded, if that is not selected measurements loaded from file will use the next available colour from the View preferences list.
post #95 of 114 Old 08-30-15, 02:10 PM

My System

I've been told tat you authored a very fine transient response measuring waterfall program. Ever since I've first seen a waterfall plot (which fully appreciate) I wanted to see a 3-D graph examining steady-state response where the temporal axis was replaced by frequencies output for every frequency generated tone input. Has your microphone capable of a real-time fast-Fourier-transform analysis? Perhaps, it would read easier if the output frequencies were normalized by dividing by their respective input frequency & label it, “harmonics”.

I've heard so many speakers that make noise at frequencies that ear very little resemblance to the signal, especially at real-bass & super-treble extremities. It'd be nice to see what I hear. Thanks for your consideration.
post #96 of 114 Old 10-04-15, 01:51 AM

Hello John.

First of all I want to say thank you for the unique great job.

Sorry, I write in this thread, but I was unable to find a topic for suggestions to the author of the program. I would like to see a button or check box "always on top" in RTA program window, it will be very useful function when make real time fine tuning with DSP control programs. Also, it was, would be very cool to control the transparency of program windows. Can you add more XO types for EQ window, for now is not clear what type of filter (BW, LR) is used in the program. Also, in EQ window will be useful function for add more one "HF Fall slope" function for modeling B&O psychoacoustic curve. Can you add more features for EQ, for LP and HP filter types will useful gain and Q control also (miniDSP like filter). And I think that in your plans a writing some for generate correction filters for common system phase/response correction (DRC). That would be absolutely great all-in-one software!

With Best regards,
Pavel.
post #97 of 114 Old 12-31-15, 10:28 AM
Shackster
Ramon

Smile Re: REW V5 Tips

Friends Forum:

My English is very bad, I apologize for that. I will thank you to inform me if REW V5.1 works well with external "USB Focusrite Scarlett Blast Solo" and "microphone Behringer ECM8000".

Grateful for your help, greets

Ramon : dontknow:
post #98 of 114 Old 04-17-16, 04:27 AM

I have Rew 5.0 installed and want to upgrade to 5.14. But I am afraid that my files and CAL files will be lost if i just download and install 5.14 on top of 5.0. Can someone please advice on how to upgrade to a later version without loosing anything?
Best regards
Sleiven
post #99 of 114 Old 04-17-16, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
REW Author

John

Upgrading has no effect on your existing measurement or cal files.
post #100 of 114 Old 05-31-16, 11:18 AM
Shackster

I compared REW white noise RTA plot compared to REW runs, with 1/12 smoothing. Don't know which plot validates which, both are, to my old researcher eyes, amazingly close. The upper trace is a sine run and the lower is white noise RTA, under 200 Hz to above 10kHz. Somewhat more convenient to do white noise runs, just a few seconds at upper frequencies and you can fool with your EQ in real-time.
Thanks, John, great tool.
Ben
Attached Thumbnails
REW V5 Tips-l-compare-copy.png