REW V5 Tips - Page 6 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

1Likes

post #51 of 114 Old 01-10-14, 06:56 AM
Shackster

Re: REW V5 Tips

I have been using Holmimpulse in the past and just got REW a few days ago. Wow! What an amazing program! The setup was flawless and very easy - I got from install to measurements with a UMM-6 mic literally in minutes. I am starting to work on getting CSD plots and decay data but not sure how to setup the parameters to enable a good measurement as I seem to be measuring the room decay of several hundred milliseconds. How do I set the gating to enable looking at just stuff before 3 to 5 milliseconds? Sorry if this question has already been covered elsewhere.
Thanks,
xrk971
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 114 Old 01-10-14, 07:21 AM
Shackster
Viktor

Hi xrk!
Try the IR windows icon (on the top between info and SPL meter). You can also change the default window lengths (and also Analysis dafaults) under Preferences - Analysis. There you can set up your favorite setup (window type and length, smoothing and many more)!

Enjoy :-)
post #53 of 114 Old 01-10-14, 08:22 AM
Shackster

OK, thanks. How far away from the driver should the mic be for a CSD measurement and what gate settings do you typically use?

post #54 of 114 Old 01-10-14, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
REW Author

John

Quote:
xrk971 wrote: View Post
I am starting to work on getting CSD plots and decay data but not sure how to setup the parameters to enable a good measurement as I seem to be measuring the room decay of several hundred milliseconds. How do I set the gating to enable looking at just stuff before 3 to 5 milliseconds?
Show the controls for the waterfall graph by clicking the gear icon at the top right of the graph, then set the Time Range, Window and Rise Time to suit the range you are interested in - e.g. 10 ms for time range and window and 1 ms for rise time are reasonable starting points if looking at driver behaviour.
post #55 of 114 Old 01-10-14, 01:19 PM
Shackster

Thanks for the steps on how to do this. Do you have a recommendation for distance mic needs to be away from cone surface?
post #56 of 114 Old 01-10-14, 01:45 PM
Shackster
Viktor

Quote:
xrk971 wrote: View Post
OK, thanks. How far away from the driver should the mic be for a CSD measurement and what gate settings do you typically use?
Sorry for my misunderstanding, JohnM was right :-). Regarding the measurement distance - If you want to measure the whole loudspeaker, you should be in the "free field", which is further than the biggest dimension of the baffle (typically the diagonal)...
But for special purposes, as analysing the speaker at particular point, you can be closer.

PS: the CSD Mode tick in the "Graph control" can be handy, but I belive that you have spotted that already.
post #57 of 114 Old 02-09-14, 08:23 PM
Shackster

Matthew

My System

Forgive this beginner question but can REW be run with my Oppo 105 player connected directly to my amps or does it have to be through a prepro? Thanks.

Matt
post #58 of 114 Old 02-10-14, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
REW Author

John

Quote:
mdanderson wrote: View Post
Forgive this beginner question but can REW be run with my Oppo 105 player connected directly to my amps
Yes, it could be run that way, the audio output from the computer would need to be connected to one of the Oppo's inputs so either via HDMI or a coaxial or optical digital audio connection.
post #59 of 114 Old 02-10-14, 10:19 PM
Shackster

Matthew

My System

Quote:
JohnM wrote: View Post
Yes, it could be run that way, the audio output from the computer would need to be connected to one of the Oppo's inputs so either via HDMI or a coaxial or optical digital audio connection.
Thanks John. I tried hooking up my front channels directly to my 2channel amp and the results sounded really nice but when I hooked up the rest of my 7.1 system directly to my other amp, the results were not that good. I will probably just go back to the way I had things which is through my Emotiva UMC-200 prepro.

The main thing I am interested in with REW is looking at the frequency response of my dual subs. They sound really good right now but I have always been curious as to what is actually going on with them and my room. Thanks for the reply.

Matt
post #60 of 114 Old 03-24-14, 12:55 PM
Shackster
fishsage

Smile Re: REW V5 Tips

Hello , i,m also new here and hope i,m not asking for help in the wrong forum, i do apologize if thats so .
I have a Anthem D2v 3D running with the Arc room correction and 2 Danley DTS,10s connect to the Anthem via xls and then fed to 2 Behringer EP 4000 amps ,sounds good in music and movies.Arc does try to get the curve flat for the 2 subs but there is a big dip at around 45 Hz and it is this i would like to correct.
I have a new DSP 1124P ,a M audio midisport,and a Galaxy CM-140 and a HiTeC X-Mystique 7.1 Gold sound card. Never tried to get these in the chain .
There is so much information to read up on that it is a bit confusing at times ,i am no expert and would like to know the easiest way to let Rew trim my 2 subs to sound even better.
I would be very grateful if anyone could give me some advise.
Thanks so much .