REW V5 Tips - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

1Likes

post #1 of 114 Old 10-24-10, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
REW Author

John

REW V5 Tips

I thought a few tips on REW V5 might be in order, I'll start with some people may not have come across. Feel free to add any tips of your own.
  • Measurement (.mdat) files can be opened by dragging them onto the REW window
  • Impulse response (.wav or .aiff) files can be imported by dragging them onto the REW window
  • Filter set (.req) files can be opened by dragging them onto the EQ window
  • Move between measurements with Alt+UP and Alt+DOWN, go directly to a specific measurement with ALT+1 or 2 or 39
  • Move between graphs with Ctrl+LEFT and Ctrl+RIGHT, go directly to a specific graph with Ctrl+1 or 2 or 39
  • Hover over the name of a measurement in the overlay panel to bring up a tool tip showing the measurement notes
  • Move the cursor over the name of a trace to highlight that trace in the graph
  • If a measurement has been modified its name is shown in blue on the measurements panel
  • Use Ctrl+Shift+3 to apply 1/3rd octave smoothing, repeat to remove the smoothing
  • Use the Restore Last Removed entry in the file menu to recover a measurement that was removed by mistake
  • Right click in the overlay window legend area to bring up a menu that allows clearing or setting all trace selections
  • Under Windows or OS X double-clicking on an mdat file opens REW and loads the file
  • There are keyboard shortcuts for most things
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 114 Old 03-06-11, 04:34 PM
Shackster
AudioDH

Re: REW V5 Tips

Thanks John. those are handy tips!
post #3 of 114 Old 04-12-11, 12:58 PM
Shackster
AudioDH

Thanks John!

post #4 of 114 Old 04-22-11, 12:03 AM
Senior Shackster

paulspencer

You've done a great job with it John! It's great that you've thought of and added all those little touches. It's a very well thought out user friendly program.

Writer for Hifi Zine &
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
blog
post #5 of 114 Old 05-16-11, 09:39 AM
Shackster

Hi.My name is diapason, thank you for the tips!
post #6 of 114 Old 05-16-11, 09:43 AM
Senior Shackster

paulspencer

I'm not sure what is the correct place for this, but one feature I'd like to see is waterfall normalisation ie how would the waterfall look if EQ were used to get it perfectly flat.

Writer for Hifi Zine &
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
blog
post #7 of 114 Old 05-16-11, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
REW Author

John

Quote:
paulspencer wrote: View Post
I'm not sure what is the correct place for this, but one feature I'd like to see is waterfall normalisation ie how would the waterfall look if EQ were used to get it perfectly flat.
EQ affects the rates of decay as well as the level, the predicted waterfall on the EQ panel shows how the current measurement would look with EQ applied - there is an example of before and after in the screenshots on the REW page.
post #8 of 114 Old 05-17-11, 01:55 AM
Senior Shackster

paulspencer

Let me put it this way. Let's suppose you want to compare some bass traps with REW and see the impact on waterfall plots. (That is one thing I've been doing). It can be hard to compare when the response is different. If the waterfalls and decay plots could be normalised, then comparison is easier.

Writer for Hifi Zine &
blog
post #9 of 114 Old 06-18-11, 11:39 PM
Shackster

thank you for the tips!
post #10 of 114 Old 07-25-11, 09:54 PM
Shackster

JIMKO

not to mention the mouse-wheel scrolling option to zoom in on out-of scene measurement areas.
I do anlaysis from 20Hz to 16KHz, and the normal window gives me to 200Hz. BUT if you scroll into the end you find you can open the entire spectrum.... THIS IS AWESOME AND MUST BE TOLD !
(I just discovered by fiddling).
Incredible Design, John, thanx....