UCA202 Confusion!! - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 23 Old 11-03-11, 06:28 PM
Elite Shackster

Re: UCA202 Confusion!!

Quote:
See anything wacky here?
> Yes ! ( You have the wrong input channel selected >> Right input , instead of Left, which would match to where you have signal showing ) .

> Now that you have just completed a good soundcard calibration ( obviously ), how about showing a screen shot of the preferences page as it now exists ( you must have changed more than just the buffer size ) .

<>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 Old 11-03-11, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Pete

It is exactly the same. The instructions said to connect right to right and select right. Why would I select left when no cables were ever mentioned to be connected at left to left?
post #13 of 23 Old 11-03-11, 06:59 PM
Elite Shackster

Ahhh , Okay !

My mistake, since I see input showing on the left meter, I assumed that was the channel you'd decided to create your loop-back/calibration from .

<>

post #14 of 23 Old 11-03-11, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Pete

I am not sure what, if any smoothing to apply. What is reasonable to not make it look too sexy?
Attached Thumbnails
UCA202 Confusion!!-first-measurement-nov-3-2011.jpg  

post #15 of 23 Old 11-03-11, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Pete

BTW, that is both stereo channels running at one time. I have dual volume controls and I should run each independently to see how each channel looks. I was in a hurry to see if I could get "something"!!!
post #16 of 23 Old 11-03-11, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Pete

Waterfall of left and right overlayed:
Attached Thumbnails
UCA202 Confusion!!-waterfall-left-right-together.jpg  

post #17 of 23 Old 11-04-11, 07:15 PM
Senior Shackster
John

Quote:
Big Red Machine wrote: View Post
I am not sure what, if any smoothing to apply. What is reasonable to not make it look too appealing?
Standards for sound rooms generally suggest 1/3-octave smoothing for full range sweeps as acceptance criteria. I generally use that level when I am looking a roughly 500 Hz and above.

For a range of 200-500 Hz, I will look at a range of values. 1/48 and 1/24 are about right to look at comb filtering effects that might be mitigated by speaker placement changes.

For below 200 Hz you would want to use unsmoothed, 1/48 or 1/24 to look at features you might be able to change with EQ and see the effects of room modes.
post #18 of 23 Old 11-04-11, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Pete

Is there a way to smooth separate frequency ranges with the tool? Not sure how to grab certain ranges and apply smoothing levels you suggest.

This is a 2 channel set-up so no subwoofers and no EQ'ing. This is a mature room that sounds great but I want to tweak a little.

I made my own Prime 53 diffusors for the walls last year.

UCA202 Confusion!!-dscn4891.jpg

UCA202 Confusion!!-dscn4897.jpg

UCA202 Confusion!!-dscn4901.jpg
post #19 of 23 Old 11-05-11, 01:22 PM
Senior Shackster
John

Quote:
Big Red Machine wrote: View Post
Is there a way to smooth separate frequency ranges with the tool? Not sure how to grab certain ranges and apply smoothing levels you suggest.

This is a 2 channel set-up so no subwoofers and no EQ'ing. This is a mature room that sounds great but I want to tweak a little.
Yeah, I think I saw that room a couple weeks ago. Good to see you here. That room sounded pretty fantastic, BTW, I wish I'd spent more time in there, maybe brought my own CDs, spent some time fiddling with the equipment. I'd also love to test your diffusers vs. the same design finned - unfinned is so much easier to build but theoretically not performing as well - though unfinned may have a few advantages too. But I digress!

I do a few different things. One is that I just smooth the curve different ways serially and sort out the effects and frequency ranges I'm looking for in my brain. Since the smoothing changes the curves so much and I don't really "apply X smoothing for X frequency range" by recipe, and I like to see it at different smoothing at most of the ranges, it's just faster to do it that way. But one thing I occasionally do is run a sweep 0-200 Hz and a sweep from 0-20 kHz. Note that in the "All SPL" tab, when you apply the smoothing it only gets applied to the currently selected curve. So I just turn on only the full range sweep, apply 1/3 smoothing, switch to only the LF curve and apply 1/48 smoothing, then turn them both on together. This gives you a very smoothed full range curve with a relatively unsmoothed LF curve overlayed on it. I rather like the effect, and it's convenient for posting in forums.

So, you could do that but in three ranges (like 0-200, 0-500, 0-20k) which would give you three curves in the LF region. You could also do sweeps 0-200, 200-500, and a 500-20k and smooth each of them separately as desired, but I have heard it is better to start and stop test sweeps with some margin beyond the range. With that in mind you might want to provide 1/3 octave overlap at the ends of your test ranges... or at least try it both ways and see if it's any different. If the SPL and phase graphs come out the same, then good enough, no overlaps are required.

I should add that the frequency ranges I look at for different effects are not necessarily fixed. The ranges you need to consider for each type of effect are a combination of Schroeder frequency (for modal range) and room size/treatment (SBIR/comb filtering effects are dominated by reflection strength and timing). For the Schroeder frequency/acoustical ranges I like to use Bob Golds Room Mode Calculator. For example, for my room the relevant section says:
Code:
Frequency Regions:
 - No modal boost: 1hz to 29hz
 - Room Modes dominate: 29hz to 125hz
 - Diffraction and Diffusion dominate: 125hz to 500hz
 - Specular reflections and ray accoustics prevail: 500hz to 20000hz
The SBIR is not quite so simple, but you are mostly concerned with the first notch frequency which can be easily found with this calculator. Note that the calculator works the same way for floor/ceiling/sidewalls. You could do front/rear walls with it and some geometric thought, but with REW you mostly just skip this all anyway - once you learn to recognize the distinctive deep/narrow null you can just read them from your sweep results to figure out the frequency range in which you are most concerned about the effect.

The more sophisticated way to analyze all of this is using time response data; for above LF the ETC (a type of impulse response graph) thread started by mtbdudex on AVS is a pretty good start for that (and make sure you know the usable upper limit of the RS meter since I think you are using that for a mic). For LF room mode analysis the better tools are decay/waterfall/spectrogram. It's unfortunate that most never go beyond frequency response. The time response data generally shows data that guides you much more directly to solutions.

Last edited by aackthpt; 11-05-11 at 04:36 PM.
post #20 of 23 Old 11-06-11, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Pete

I received a Dayton mic and 802 preamp Saturday. As requested (but I measured on stereo mode vs. individual channels):

UCA202 Confusion!!-2-sweeps-overlayed-stereo-nov-6.jpg