crossovers for multi-amps audio - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 6 Old 03-16-12, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

crossovers for multi-amps audio

Hi
I have worked with REW's measurements for a while and it's quite efficient for my needs until now.

I said until now because I used to make simple EQ corrections for stereo audio on a multi-amplification system (4 power amps and specialized DIY sub-bass-mids-tweeter SPKs) which I am actually fixing Xovers from an external interface (Motu 828mk3) providing full DSP filtering (Xovers with slopes, Q, High and low pass).

I wonder if REW could make all crossovers (subwoofer to woofers, woofers to mids and mids to tweeters), providing filtering files to import in JRiver, from where I'll be able to feed my new 8 channels multi-output DAC (just ordered)?

I have read some of the threads describing LF crossovers but not as widely I expect to do it.

That would be something to replace the Motu's interface DACs by using REW's filtering instead.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-17-12, 08:00 PM
Elite Shackster

Gary

My System
Re: crossovers for multi-amps audio

I'm not 100% sure that I understand your question. Are you asking about using REW to measure frequency response to "dial-in" crossover points or importing the program to a DSP unit and using it to set crossover points digitally?

I'm sure that I'm missing something here. In other words, I don't understand the question due to no fault of yours.

ADDED:

I re-read your post and think that I got it. Sorry...I can be a bit obtuse at times. I don't have enough experience with REW to answer. Sorry, but I'm sure someone with more knowledge of the REW program will see this and answer. I don't want to give you the wrong info.

Last edited by wgmontgomery; 03-17-12 at 08:04 PM. Reason: added last paragraph
post #3 of 6 Old 03-17-12, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
wgmontgomery wrote: View Post
I'm not 100% sure that I understand your question. Are you asking about using REW to measure frequency response to "dial-in" crossover points or importing the program to a DSP unit and using it to set crossover points digitally?

I'm sure that I'm missing something here. In other words, I don't understand the question due to no fault of yours.

ADDED:

I re-read your post and think that I got it. Sorry...I can be a bit obtuse at times. I don't have enough experience with REW to answer. Sorry, but I'm sure someone with more knowledge of the REW program will see this and answer. I don't want to give you the wrong info.
Thanks anyways any inputs is good support for mental health .
I am sure that my work with REW was to much restricted to measurements. That part was easy.
The learning of REW's EQ hability is a little more hard on me.
You understood that I want to use it to make Xovers in JRiver without using other VST convolver or something like that. I've been told that it is supposed to work well with WAV files. Well I think I will need some help and much more reading.

I am tonight trying to to make the Lpass filter "XO" at 4000 Khz as a test file.
For this I have used the excell spreadsheet by jtalden, and successfully imported it as a house curve in the REW's EQ.
Now I'm trying to figure out how this nice LPass curve can be used.
For now I just can see that curve as a target settings?
I'm trying to set filters to best fit it. Is that the proper way????
Lots of time and effort here.

I've obtained something close to a good fit on the predicted corrected curve of my full range RTA measurement.

From there I would like to know how to save this filter and export it as a WAV file into JRiver. THis is the way to do it?. Quite complicated you say

Last edited by rewjack; 03-18-12 at 04:24 AM.

post #4 of 6 Old 03-18-12, 09:04 AM
Elite Shackster

Gary

My System

Are you trying to do room corrections via DSP or just set x-over points, slope etc? I'll be happy to help with the research; it'll help me, too. As I posted elsewhere on this site, I haven't done much with REW as I am moving soon; I don't want to waste a bunch of time "taming" a room I plan to leave. HOWEVER, any knowledge that I gain now will help me later, so it's "win-win."
post #5 of 6 Old 03-18-12, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
wgmontgomery wrote: View Post
Are you trying to do room corrections via DSP or just set x-over points, slope etc? I'll be happy to help with the research; it'll help me, too. As I posted elsewhere on this site, I haven't done much with REW as I am moving soon; I don't want to waste a bunch of time "taming" a room I plan to leave. HOWEVER, any knowledge that I gain now will help me later, so it's "win-win."
Good idea to search on tour side.
I see it in two steps. First I will have to set X-overs (slope etc) for multiamplification (4 dedicated amps and pairs of Spks) for audio purpose only. I mentioned audio only, just because filter targets won't be exactly the same. This is not important now.
Secondly, yes I'll plan to make a lots of room corrections and speakers alignments in time and frequency domains. I plan to map the room with measurements and plot results in a CAD software, it will be my hobby, sometime listening to music

But for now it's to learn how to fix these Xovers usin REW's EQ and bring them in JRiver to divides the playback signal in four (sub freq, bass ferq, mids and highs).
post #6 of 6 Old 03-18-12, 10:37 AM
Elite Shackster

Gary

My System

I'm glad that you are looking at this as a "hobby;" it will probably be quite time consuming. The rewards, however, should be well worth the time that you spend!