Auto eq filter help - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 8 Old 04-11-12, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

My System
Auto eq filter help

Hi people!

Right I am having fun with REW. All seems to be working good. Sound card calibrated. Spl check and calibration complete and have a set of sweeps measured.

Now my issue is getting these into the auto eq filters for the Ada.

I have Ada selected in devices.

When I go to the eq page the waterfalls and graphs appear.

But when I click on the eq filters, I am seeing them all set to auto but there is no other data.

I was expecting REW to take my measurement and auto apply filters so I could just plumb these into my Ada peq.

Is this not how it works? Am I missing something?

Many thanks

Nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-11-12, 11:11 AM
REW Author

John

Re: Auto eq filter help

You need to set the target response shape and level in the Target Settings, then ask REW to 'Match response to target' in the Filter Tasks, after setting up the frequency range over which the match is desired. More info in the EQ Window help.
post #3 of 8 Old 04-11-12, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

My System

Thanks John.

Looks like a load more for me to read, digest and try to understand. Lol.

Rainy weekend ahead.......

post #4 of 8 Old 04-17-12, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

My System

Hi John, anyone who may know....

First I'm using a tascam 122 mk2. When I start REW it says the cal file I used was at 44.1 but my sound card is set to 48k and may cause errors. Well, I have been thru every setting I can find to do with sound in windows 7 and the tascam software and all report as 44.1k. So little confused there.....

But my main issue is this. Had some strange anomalies come up when running the auto eq. It suggested that on my right surround, filter 2 should be set to 1120hz +6 db q3 then on filter 6 again 1120hz but -10db q7 so I ignored these as user error.

But it has now come up again but on a front speaker when trying another eq session. Do you think this is a bug?
post #5 of 8 Old 04-18-12, 03:55 PM
REW Author

John

Quote:
Djnickuk wrote: View Post
When I start REW it says the cal file I used was at 44.1 but my sound card is set to 48k and may cause errors. Well, I have been thru every setting I can find to do with sound in windows 7 and the tascam software and all report as 44.1k. So little confused there.....
Change the REW soundcard preferences sample rate from 48k to 44.1k

Quote:
But my main issue is this. Had some strange anomalies come up when running the auto eq. It suggested that on my right surround, filter 2 should be set to 1120hz +6 db q3 then on filter 6 again 1120hz but -10db q7 so I ignored these as user error.

But it has now come up again but on a front speaker when trying another eq session. Do you think this is a bug?
If you post an mdat file that produces these results I'll take a look, but filters with different Q have different shapes so the seemingly contradictory settings may be just what's needed in this case. Let me know what match range and match settings you are using (max boost etc) and what smoothing you used.
post #6 of 8 Old 04-21-12, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

My System

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply. I will link my pc up to the net again so I can send you the file. I have played with various max boosts, octaves etc. I managed to get one read out where filters 7,9 and 11 were all identical.

I will include all details when I post the file.

But I wonder if it's down to the sound card 44/48k problem. I have it set to 44.1k in REW as suggested, well it was already at 44.1 yet it still says its set to 48k. If you check Asio properties from REW it says tascam is at 44.1. I wonder if I should use java drivers instead.
post #7 of 8 Old 04-21-12, 04:36 PM
REW Author

John

Quote:
Djnickuk wrote: View Post
But I wonder if it's down to the sound card 44/48k problem. I have it set to 44.1k in REW as suggested, well it was already at 44.1 yet it still says its set to 48k. If you check Asio properties from REW it says tascam is at 44.1. I wonder if I should use java drivers instead.
No, that's just a bug, sorry - turns out REW is loading the soundcard cal file before it has set up the soundcard sample rate. I've fixed it for the next release, you can just ignore the message.
post #8 of 8 Old 04-21-12, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

My System

Ah, I see. CHeers John. Saves me from thinking I'm going mad.