Impulse response? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 7 Old 05-09-12, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Impulse response?

I am still finding my way around REW. So far I am very impressed and it has some excellent features.
Is there a real time impulse response measurement available?

I am looking for a way to help track down and ultimately treat any problem reflection points.

Thanks

Last edited by eyesandears; 05-09-12 at 11:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-09-12, 05:47 PM
REW Author

John

Re: Impulse response?

Not yet, it is on the feature request list.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-21-12, 07:29 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Re: Real time impulse response?

Just checking back to see if there has been any progress on incorporating this feature or if there is other any already available feature in REW for the uses I mention below?

When I was using OmniMic I found real time impulse response useful for two reasons.
In addition to use in locating reflections I found it helpful in setup to get the mic situated in nearly the exact center location for comparison to previous measurements. I have been surprised at how very little movements of the mic off center could make such a difference in measurments of impulse response and frequency roll off at higher frequencies.

Thanks!

post #4 of 7 Old 11-21-12, 01:07 PM
REW Author

John

No progress on that feature yet, but the effect you describe could imply both speakers running, as very small movements in that situation generate severe comb filtering. There are arguments for doing tests with speakers in combination and individually when looking at low frequency behaviour, but for full range measurements speakers should be measured individually.
post #5 of 7 Old 11-21-12, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

John, thanks for the response.

Yes, I suspect you are correct about seeing some comb filtering.

I have been doing my room measurements from the primary listening position with both speakers running. I thought that would give a better representation of what I was actually hearing. I will take some more measurements of the individual speakers again and compare.

I do not yet have a sub or special room treatments so getting some baseline measurements. I will be adding the sub to the system next week.
post #6 of 7 Old 11-22-12, 08:31 AM
Senior Shackster

paulspencer

Rather than worry about specific reflections, I would first start by working on the major issues.

Firstly, damping modal ringing in the room - look at the waterfall plots.

Secondly, adding treatment until you get the reverb time flat and in the range from 0.2 - 0.4. The lower end of the range being a fairly dead HT room and say 0.3 - 0.4 for music.

If you can satisfy those two fairly well and EQ any major peaks in the bass range, and get a fairly well behaved frequency response, I think you will find you'll have a pretty good result. At that point, I don't think you will be overly concerned with tracking down specific reflections.

Writer for Hifi Zine &
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
blog
post #7 of 7 Old 11-25-12, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Paul,
I am going to follow your suggestions. My new sub will be in the sytem by the end of this week and I will take some more measurements and try and post some of them here.

BTW, I enjoyed reading and learned much from your Bass Integration artical, thanks!