Calibration of Beyerdyamic MM1 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 16 Old 10-26-12, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Calibration of Beyerdyamic MM1

Hi,

I got an Beyerdyamic MM1 microphone and with it comes an calibration paper - no file. So is it possible to make and calibration file out of the scan from the sheet? And if - how?
Attached Thumbnails
Calibration of Beyerdyamic MM1-beyerdynamic-mm1-frequenzgang-small.jpg  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 10-26-12, 06:55 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Re: Calibration of Beyerdyamic MM1

Hey Joel,

Yes, it’s possible to create a calibration file from a mic response graph - see here. Just keep in mind that the graph might be generic – it’s quite common for mics to have frequency response vary from one sample to the next. The only way to guarantee complete accuracy is a custom calibration.

Regards,
Wayne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|

post #3 of 16 Old 10-27-12, 04:49 AM
REW Author

John

Note that you can use the software here to automate the generation of the cal file.

post #4 of 16 Old 10-27-12, 06:03 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Wayne, I will try to make a cal. file by useing the notepad method. The cal. sheet i got is not
generic as it comes with a serial number - same as my mic. I alredy wrote Beyerdynamic to send me
the cal file not only the paper, but got no answer...

to John:
thanks for the link - its a really nice program. I changed the colour of the graph but my only problem is now
how to set the amplitude values? My sheed comes with an dB FS scale goning form 0 to plus or minus and there
are no minus values in the program - can you help me? I read the help but dident find something.

again thanks to you all - I really appriciate this!
post #5 of 16 Old 10-27-12, 12:26 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

I also have the MM1 and Beyerdynamic customer service at the germany website supplied the file for me. It just takes a couple of days.

The calibration covers 60 - 20k Hz so the LF end is not provided. Mine extends very flat down to about 20 Hz and assume that is very typical.
post #6 of 16 Old 10-30-12, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

now I got the sulution - I called the service of Beyerdynamic and one day after I got the cal. file.

thanks for your help everyone!
post #7 of 16 Old 06-11-13, 05:17 PM
Shackster
chris319

I just found out about this mic. Before I take the plunge, I wanted to ask whether anybody has a handle on whether Beyer calibrates each individual mic in the manufacturing process (made in China?) or whether they have a one-size-fits-all calibration file for a "typical" mic that they give anyone who asks. This is what I suspect, but can't prove, the other company "B" does with its measurement mic. I can't imagine that for $200 Beyer calibrates each mic on the assembly line but what a pleasant surprise it would be if that were the case. Maybe I'm dreaming.
post #8 of 16 Old 06-11-13, 08:10 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

Quote:
chris319 wrote: View Post
I just found out about this mic. Before I take the plunge, I wanted to ask whether anybody has a handle on whether Beyer calibrates each individual mic in the manufacturing process (made in China?) or whether they have a one-size-fits-all calibration file for a "typical" mic that they give anyone who asks. This is what I suspect, but can't prove, the other company "B" does with its measurement mic. I can't imagine that for $200 Beyer calibrates each mic on the assembly line but what a pleasant surprise it would be if that were the case. Maybe I'm dreaming.
Yes, each mic is individually calibrated by Beyerdynamic.
Before I purchased I had them supply a sampling of several calibrations and they had the expected variation for an inexpensive mic.

On request they will supply the cal file for your particular serial number. The cal file only goes down to 60 Hz though so it is not helpful for low frequency usage.

Also my MM-1 calibration with its cal file did not compare well to my Dayton EMM-6 with its cal file from Cross-Spectrum Labs. My measurements are very repeatable and there is a 2 dB difference at higher frequencies. The chart below shows the difference of measurements using the MM-1 compared to measurements using the EMM-6. These are repeatable speaker measurements using the respective calibration files. If both mic calibration files were accurate the line would be flat at zero dB.

Calibration of Beyerdyamic MM1-mm-1-vs-emm-6.png

Everyone here has great faith in CSL calibrations and they go down to 5 Hz. I have no way of evaluating which is really correct, but am using the EMM-6/CSL based on the large amount of favorable information here at HTS. [Someday I will have CSL calibrate my MM-1 and also my Behringer ECM8000]

I really favor the design and construction of the MM-1. It has higher sensitivity and lower noise than my other 2 mics. Its smaller barrel also marginally reduces the directional sensitivity at the high frequencies. This will be my main mic after I have CSL calibrate it.
post #9 of 16 Old 06-12-13, 10:34 AM
Shackster
chris319

Thanks for the info. Someone posted some calibration data for an MM1 on Facebook, so after I posted I saw that the Beyer curve only goes down to 50 Hz. I would prefer curves that go down to 20, so I think you just saved me $200. I suspect the MM1 uses the same Panasonic electret capsule with the plastic diaphragm as all of the other cheap "calibration" mics.

Quote:
my MM-1 calibration with its cal file did not compare well to my Dayton EMM-6 with its cal file from Cross-Spectrum Labs. My measurements are very repeatable and there is a 2 dB difference at higher frequencies. The chart below shows the difference of measurements using the MM-1 compared to measurements using the EMM-6. These are repeatable speaker measurements using the respective calibration files. If both mic calibration files were accurate the line would be flat at zero dB.

Read more: http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...#ixzz2W0yIsmnO
I face the same dilemma. I hve two ECM-8000s, each calibrated by Cross Spectrum and by Kim Girardin. There are significant differences at the extremes of the band to be sure. The quandary is, which calibration is more accurate?

If you don't mind my saying so, have you checked the IR windows of your graphs? There appears to be a great deal of ripple in them, possibly caused by first reflections?
post #10 of 16 Old 06-12-13, 12:34 PM
Shackster
chris319

OK, now I remember the procedure for checking calibrations.

Pick two or more mics that you have had calibrated. Perform a sweep on these mics. To each sweep, apply the calibration curve for that mic from calibration service "A" and the curve from calibration service "B". Export the measurement for each mic as its own text file.

Import the data from these text files into a spreadsheet program. Even though you are looking at two different mics, in a perfect world, once the calibration curves are applied they should look like the same mic. If the calibration curve for each mic were perfect, in theory the two mics' curves should match. Does that make sense? In your spreadsheet program you could then calculate the (hopefully minor) differences between the mics and then the RSS of the differences for the calibration services you are comparing, or create a pretty graph of the differences..