Roland Quad Capture - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 24 Old 01-03-13, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

Roland Quad Capture

Hello. Trying to set up the EQ Wizard and wanted to ask a question. I have a Roland Quad Capture for my interface and it has line outs, but the ins are combo XLR/TRS inputs. Will it work if I loop the sound this way? Just wanted to make sure I get this right...Thank you for any suggestions you may have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 01-03-13, 01:21 PM
Elite Shackster

Re: Roland Quad Capture

Quote:
<<<<SNIP>>>
Will it work if I loop the sound this way? Just wanted to make sure I get this right...
Yes, it'll work ( as long as you run Windows & not OSX ) !

- You won't blow up anything as long as the 48V phantom is turned-off ( in case you happened to use the XLR connector instead of the TRS at the input ) .

Last edited by EarlK; 01-03-13 at 03:39 PM.
post #3 of 24 Old 01-03-13, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the answer...still concerned a bit, the Quad Capture has combo inputs that have phantom power. I bought a condenser mic to test with, and need the power for the mic, but if I use the other in to loop through, this one will have phantom power as well, so now what...I do really love THIS soundcard/interface. I really don't want to have to buy another one just to test my room...kinda defeats the purpose of it all...any ideas?

post #4 of 24 Old 01-04-13, 06:38 AM
Elite Shackster

- The 48V is applied ( typically ) to only the XLR portion of those combo jack / meaning you shouldn't be worrying so much about this .
- But ( to alay your fears ) ;

This voltage is measurable ( when applied to a mic cable ) .

(i) Simply plug a TRS cable into the input of your soundcard . Turn on the phantom 48V switch .
- Using a DVM set to DC volts, measure the other end of the TRS cable ( between sleeve & tip , or sleeve & ring ).
- You shouldn't see 48volts .

(ii) OTOH, if you do this exercise with a mic cable plugged into the XLR portion ( with the 48V phantom applied ) , you should be able to measure 45-48 volts between pins 1 & 2 ( or pins 1 & 3 ) .

post #5 of 24 Old 01-04-13, 07:32 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the info. I wasn't sure and didn't want to blow up anything LOL. Thanks again for all your help!
post #6 of 24 Old 01-04-13, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

I have just one more question...I only have two outs on this interface. How do I loop it back through AND hook up both of my speakers? I am thinking that I need to get another sound card and I want to avoid that if possible. Any suggestions?
post #7 of 24 Old 01-05-13, 04:27 AM
Elite Shackster

Quote:
wrtorn wrote: View Post
I have just one more question...I only have two outs on this interface. How do I loop it back through AND hook up both of my speakers? I am thinking that I need to get another sound card and I want to avoid that if possible. Any suggestions?
- You don't need a second sound card .

- Keep in mind that it's generally recommended that you measure one speaker at a time ( including the sub, then combinations of them all, to see the resulting responses ) .

- Anyways, to keep your loopback cable in place ( useful for timing purposes, I suppose ) you'll need to split the signal leaving your one remaining output ( going to the AVR ) .

- Effectively, you'l' end up sending the same mono signal into both of the receiver's inputs ( via a cable splitter ) .

- Cable/signal splitters ( "Y" cables ) are available from a few places .

BUY something like one of these ( to accomplish the signal split ) ;

or ;

- then you'll need a set of these ( to get the split signal into your AVR ) ;

- Under no circumstances buy a pair of these "insert type" cables thinking that they do the same thing as a true split // they aren't the same !
- ( If you were to use them with both main speakers playing back the mono test signal, you'd have some very large and strange cancellations due to the signals being opposite in polarity/phase ) ;

Last edited by EarlK; 01-05-13 at 10:07 AM.
post #8 of 24 Old 01-08-13, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

ok...got all the cables trying it tonight. Thank you for all of your help!
post #9 of 24 Old 01-11-13, 01:49 AM Thread Starter

I am still having issues. I watched this video tutorial on YouTube-- http://youtu.be/e4uSR3cUUSY-- and the guy adjusts his levels during the calibration (it looks like he is doing it with the mouse icon actually) to match the -12db and then saves the results, then uses those calibration results to test his room. I cannot for the life of me understand how to set the levels and do the calibration. I have gotten so frustrated that I even tried my on board Realtek sound card because I thought the phantom power was interfering or something, just could not get that calibration done. So, now, after testing the other sound card, I have come to a conclusion. I have no idea what I am doing.

I do not have an AVR either, I am running directly into the interface. Since I bought the Quad Capture, I have even been able to eliminate having a mixer and a preamp. This is a studio, by the way, not sure what everyone has here...I think some are only trying to optimize their audio/video in their homes.

I have read the help files on here and I'm still a little befuddled. Please explain or show me how...and make it dummy-proof. I'd really appreciate it.
post #10 of 24 Old 01-11-13, 04:34 AM
Shackster

My System

wrtorn,

hopefully, this thread might help:
http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...#axzz2Hehy1ylj

Max