Problem with REW settings? - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 23 Old 01-23-13, 07:22 AM
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers

Re: Problem with REW settings?

Good luck on the job hunting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 Old 01-23-13, 08:17 AM
Elite Shackster

Quote:
madbrayniak wrote: View Post
small update,

I just got the new beta

However, before I got the update I also plugged the umik-1 in and plugged my laptop straight into the subwoofer and got the same results....

I will try and get time to take more measurements tomorrow....

I am looking for another job currently so that is taking the majority of my time when I am not at work.

- There's always the possibilty that REW is using your computers builtin microphone instead of the UMIK-1 ( this, I believe this is what John was implying ) .

- To date, you've not provided any evidence that your UMIK-1 is actually working with REW ( & simply plugging it in means little if the program didn't auto-load it for whatever reason and you didn't change the input selection in all the required locations) .

- Open REW ( with your UMIK-1 plugged in ) , open the "levels" window ( they look like vertical meters ) & tap the microphone ( tap, don't talk ) with the microphone 3ft away from your computer .

- If you see movement on either of the 2 input meters ( the second or third vertical scale ) then your UMIK-1 is inputting into REW .

Last edited by EarlK; 01-23-13 at 08:43 AM.
post #13 of 23 Old 01-23-13, 09:17 AM
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers

Quote:
EarlK wrote: View Post
To date, you've not provided any evidence that your UMIK-1 is actually working with REW ( & simply plugging it in means little if the program didn't auto-load it for whatever reason and you didn't change the input selection in all the required locations) .
Aye, those settings can get you. And then a Windows update or the installation of another audio program can go and change some of them. Be vigilant!

post #14 of 23 Old 01-23-13, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
EarlK wrote: View Post
- There's always the possibilty that REW is using your computers builtin microphone instead of the UMIK-1 ( this, I believe this is what John was implying ) .

- To date, you've not provided any evidence that your UMIK-1 is actually working with REW ( & simply plugging it in means little if the program didn't auto-load it for whatever reason and you didn't change the input selection in all the required locations) .

- Open REW ( with your UMIK-1 plugged in ) , open the "levels" window ( they look like vertical meters ) & tap the microphone ( tap, don't talk ) with the microphone 3ft away from your computer .

- If you see movement on either of the 2 input meters ( the second or third vertical scale ) then your UMIK-1 is inputting into REW .

I did do the tap test when I first got the microphone actually. However, I was still sitting with the computer in my lap. That will be something that I test out here tonight if I have time.
post #15 of 23 Old 01-23-13, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
AudiocRaver wrote: View Post
Good luck on the job hunting.
Thanks! Mixture of having a mean boss along with living in a town which has some of the worst air quality in the nation is a good "kick in the pants" to look for other jobs in other cities.

My wife is 25 and has so many respiratory issues that it is unreal!
post #16 of 23 Old 01-23-13, 12:47 PM
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers

Quote:
madbrayniak wrote: View Post
Thanks! Mixture of having a mean boss along with living in a town which has some of the worst air quality in the nation is a good "kick in the pants" to look for other jobs in other cities.

My wife is 25 and has so many respiratory issues that it is unreal!
Don't get me started on mean bosses. In my X many years at Y many jobs in Z different locations, I have been blessed to have some of the most wonderful bosses you could hope to imagine, and a few real stinkers. Life is too short. You sound young so I will say that again for emphasis, LIFE -- IS -- TOO -- SHORT!!! A great job with a superb boss awaits you, at a location where your wife will feel grand. Go find it, I/we are rooting for you. So let it be written, so let it be done!

Edit: When you get there, your HTS pals will help you build the home theater of your dreams!

Last edited by AudiocRaver; 01-23-13 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Final thought
post #17 of 23 Old 01-24-13, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
AudiocRaver wrote: View Post
Don't get me started on mean bosses. In my X many years at Y many jobs in Z different locations, I have been blessed to have some of the most wonderful bosses you could hope to imagine, and a few real stinkers. Life is too short. You sound young so I will say that again for emphasis, LIFE -- IS -- TOO -- SHORT!!! A great job with a superb boss awaits you, at a location where your wife will feel grand. Go find it, I/we are rooting for you. So let it be written, so let it be done!

Edit: When you get there, your HTS pals will help you build the home theater of your dreams!
Haha, Thanks.

Hopping to get a job at a winery! Made beer in college as a hobby and have a Ag-Business degree and I really find grapes and wine to be very interesting....So I am looking around for a job in Napa or Paso Robles....get us into some nice clean air closer to the coast as well.

Hopefully one day I will work for myself....
post #18 of 23 Old 01-24-13, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Ok, REW is not recognizing the UMIK-1. I am trying to figure out how to get it to work now. I have tried to change the sampling to 48k with no change.

Any ideas?

Weird, I closed the program again and opened it and it worked....

I still can't seem to get a good measurement still. I set the UMIK-1 as the default device on my mac as well.

Last edited by madbrayniak; 01-24-13 at 07:32 PM.
post #19 of 23 Old 01-24-13, 09:35 PM
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers

Back to the tap test, is REW getting signal from the microphone?

When you say you can't get a good measurement, what kind of measurement do you get?
post #20 of 23 Old 01-24-13, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Ah, sorry, I should have been more specific. The microphone is working now but it seems that the signal that is going from laptop to the receiver isn't correct.