Problem with REW settings? - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #11 of 23 Old 01-23-13, 07:22 AM
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 4,838
Re: Problem with REW settings?

Good luck on the job hunting.
AudiocRaver is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 23 Old 01-23-13, 08:17 AM
Elite Shackster
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: GTA, Ontario
Posts: 1,400
Re: Problem with REW settings?

Quote:
madbrayniak wrote: View Post
small update,

I just got the new beta

However, before I got the update I also plugged the umik-1 in and plugged my laptop straight into the subwoofer and got the same results....

I will try and get time to take more measurements tomorrow....

I am looking for another job currently so that is taking the majority of my time when I am not at work.

- There's always the possibilty that REW is using your computers builtin microphone instead of the UMIK-1 ( this, I believe this is what John was implying ) .

- To date, you've not provided any evidence that your UMIK-1 is actually working with REW ( & simply plugging it in means little if the program didn't auto-load it for whatever reason and you didn't change the input selection in all the required locations) .

- Open REW ( with your UMIK-1 plugged in ) , open the "levels" window ( they look like vertical meters ) & tap the microphone ( tap, don't talk ) with the microphone 3ft away from your computer .

- If you see movement on either of the 2 input meters ( the second or third vertical scale ) then your UMIK-1 is inputting into REW .


Last edited by EarlK; 01-23-13 at 08:43 AM.
EarlK is offline  
post #13 of 23 Old 01-23-13, 09:17 AM
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 4,838
Re: Problem with REW settings?

Quote:
EarlK wrote: View Post
To date, you've not provided any evidence that your UMIK-1 is actually working with REW ( & simply plugging it in means little if the program didn't auto-load it for whatever reason and you didn't change the input selection in all the required locations) .
Aye, those settings can get you. And then a Windows update or the installation of another audio program can go and change some of them. Be vigilant!
AudiocRaver is offline  
 
post #14 of 23 Old 01-23-13, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Central Valley, CA
Posts: 24
Re: Problem with REW settings?

Quote:
EarlK wrote: View Post
- There's always the possibilty that REW is using your computers builtin microphone instead of the UMIK-1 ( this, I believe this is what John was implying ) .

- To date, you've not provided any evidence that your UMIK-1 is actually working with REW ( & simply plugging it in means little if the program didn't auto-load it for whatever reason and you didn't change the input selection in all the required locations) .

- Open REW ( with your UMIK-1 plugged in ) , open the "levels" window ( they look like vertical meters ) & tap the microphone ( tap, don't talk ) with the microphone 3ft away from your computer .

- If you see movement on either of the 2 input meters ( the second or third vertical scale ) then your UMIK-1 is inputting into REW .

I did do the tap test when I first got the microphone actually. However, I was still sitting with the computer in my lap. That will be something that I test out here tonight if I have time.
madbrayniak is offline  
post #15 of 23 Old 01-23-13, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Central Valley, CA
Posts: 24
Re: Problem with REW settings?

Quote:
AudiocRaver wrote: View Post
Good luck on the job hunting.
Thanks! Mixture of having a mean boss along with living in a town which has some of the worst air quality in the nation is a good "kick in the pants" to look for other jobs in other cities.

My wife is 25 and has so many respiratory issues that it is unreal!
madbrayniak is offline  
post #16 of 23 Old 01-23-13, 12:47 PM
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 4,838
Re: Problem with REW settings?

Quote:
madbrayniak wrote: View Post
Thanks! Mixture of having a mean boss along with living in a town which has some of the worst air quality in the nation is a good "kick in the pants" to look for other jobs in other cities.

My wife is 25 and has so many respiratory issues that it is unreal!
Don't get me started on mean bosses. In my X many years at Y many jobs in Z different locations, I have been blessed to have some of the most wonderful bosses you could hope to imagine, and a few real stinkers. Life is too short. You sound young so I will say that again for emphasis, LIFE -- IS -- TOO -- SHORT!!! A great job with a superb boss awaits you, at a location where your wife will feel grand. Go find it, I/we are rooting for you. So let it be written, so let it be done!

Edit: When you get there, your HTS pals will help you build the home theater of your dreams!

Last edited by AudiocRaver; 01-23-13 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Final thought
AudiocRaver is offline  
post #17 of 23 Old 01-24-13, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Central Valley, CA
Posts: 24
Re: Problem with REW settings?

Quote:
AudiocRaver wrote: View Post
Don't get me started on mean bosses. In my X many years at Y many jobs in Z different locations, I have been blessed to have some of the most wonderful bosses you could hope to imagine, and a few real stinkers. Life is too short. You sound young so I will say that again for emphasis, LIFE -- IS -- TOO -- SHORT!!! A great job with a superb boss awaits you, at a location where your wife will feel grand. Go find it, I/we are rooting for you. So let it be written, so let it be done!

Edit: When you get there, your HTS pals will help you build the home theater of your dreams!
Haha, Thanks.

Hopping to get a job at a winery! Made beer in college as a hobby and have a Ag-Business degree and I really find grapes and wine to be very interesting....So I am looking around for a job in Napa or Paso Robles....get us into some nice clean air closer to the coast as well.

Hopefully one day I will work for myself....
madbrayniak is offline  
post #18 of 23 Old 01-24-13, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Central Valley, CA
Posts: 24
Re: Problem with REW settings?

Ok, REW is not recognizing the UMIK-1. I am trying to figure out how to get it to work now. I have tried to change the sampling to 48k with no change.

Any ideas?

Weird, I closed the program again and opened it and it worked....

I still can't seem to get a good measurement still. I set the UMIK-1 as the default device on my mac as well.

Last edited by madbrayniak; 01-24-13 at 07:32 PM.
madbrayniak is offline  
post #19 of 23 Old 01-24-13, 09:35 PM
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 4,838
Re: Problem with REW settings?

Back to the tap test, is REW getting signal from the microphone?

When you say you can't get a good measurement, what kind of measurement do you get?
AudiocRaver is offline  
post #20 of 23 Old 01-24-13, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Central Valley, CA
Posts: 24
Ah, sorry, I should have been more specific. The microphone is working now but it seems that the signal that is going from laptop to the receiver isn't correct.
madbrayniak is offline  
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
problem , rew , settings

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now




PLEASE COMPLETE ALL REQUIRED FIELDS BELOW... THANKS!

REQUIRED FIELDS ON THIS PAGE
YOU MUST COMPLETE ALL OF THESE

Username
Password
Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2




User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
PLEASE READ BELOW PRIOR TO ENTERING AN EMAIL ADDRESS!

ATTENTION!

YOU MUST ACTIVATE YOUR ACCOUNT!

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

AN INVALID EMAIL ADDRESS WILL CAUSE YOUR ACCOUNT TO BE DELETED!

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.


Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML is not allowed!
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 


For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome