Help with settings - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 23 Old 02-27-13, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Re: Help with settings

No luck.

I've tried 44.1, and 48 in REW also played around with the sound card settings just for kicks. Set the card to output 44.1 and 48 combinations with REW set at both. No luck.

Also bumped up my ASIO buffer to 1024 samples.

Searched for driver updates on the mic. Zip.

It doesn't make sense. The reading look correct while the measurement is happening. While the measurement is happening the bars show output steady at -3dB and the input bouncing around -10 to -20dB on both the SPM and the mic measurements.
When I get to the graph the graph shows sound rolling off below 120hz on the UMM-6.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 Old 02-28-13, 02:04 PM
REW Author

John

Which version of REW are you using, the latest beta? Have you tried using the Java drivers rather than ASIO?
post #13 of 23 Old 02-28-13, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

REW V5.00 build 2142.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled it a few times. Also done the, delete preferences and shut down to reset things.

I do not see a selection on this version for ASIO versus Java, although I remember it from past versions. Maybe I'm not looking in the right spot. Should it be on the Soundcard tab? I can go into the M-Audio control panel to disable ASIO.

The card is an older Audiophile 96/24 that is updated with current drivers and control panel software.

I can't run sweeps today but will try some more tomorrow afternoon if possible.

post #14 of 23 Old 03-01-13, 03:56 PM
REW Author

John

V5.00 uses the Java drivers, which on Windows use WDM. ASIO settings will have no effect. To try ASIO interfaces use the V5.01 beta release.
post #15 of 23 Old 03-02-13, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

New Attempt. I'm about 30 seconds away from giving up entirely on the USB option.

V5.01 build 2863.

Used asio4all to add 6ms hardware buffer offset in order to get the mic to play nice with the sound card.

Graph has some volume now but it is still jibberish with an odd curve and phase issues.

Samples were taken at 48khz and 44.1khz with minimal differences.

In room manual measurement of 28hz - 40hz measured individually at 1hz increments is about 80dB.
Attached Thumbnails
Help with settings-more-umm6-futility48.jpg  

post #16 of 23 Old 03-03-13, 05:59 AM
REW Author

John

Looks like some kind of feedback loop happening. If you tap on the mic do you hear anything from the speakers? Are there any monitoring controls on the M-Audio control panel, or (if you are on win7/Win8) is 'Listen to this device' ticked on the properties for the mic?

Does the PC have any other audio output you could try, maybe a basic built-in card?
post #17 of 23 Old 03-03-13, 07:51 AM
Elite Shackster

Kyhl,

This pic shows that you have two soundcards that just won't play nice together .

I don't know why , but everything you've displayed shows results that are shifted upwards by one octave ( compared to the original event ) .

For instance ( in the pic above ) you outputted a signal of 35.4 hz through one, which the other measured as one octave higher ( just over 70 hz ) .

As John mentioned , try a different soundcard for output ( one that isn't PCI based ) , & is preferably working on the same buss type as your mic ( which is USB 1.1, I believe ) .

The Behringer UCA202 ( which is cheap ) might help you out .

Last edited by EarlK; 03-03-13 at 08:11 AM.
post #18 of 23 Old 03-07-13, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Took some time off to cool my frustrations.

I see what you are saying about the measurements being shifted up an octave but I have no idea why that would happen with the USB mic and not with the SPM.

The computer is an XP machine that was built about a month before windows 7 came out and I haven't upgraded.

Tapping on the mic does not feed through to the speaker output.

There is almost no adjustment to the M-Audio Control panel.

I do not have the correct connections to connect to the sound card built into the motherboard and have no intention of buying them or anything else to experiment with this. Also don't feel like opening up the box to remove the current sound card and active the default only to put it back together because there was a 99.9% chance of receiving the same results. This is turning into the definition of insanity and I think I'm done unless a solution is suggested.

What I find most unfortunate is that I have used up all of the time I have allocated to upgrade my room just on this silly experiment which accomplished nothing. In two weeks I will have no more time to work on this until fall. It's very frustrating. So I think I'm done with this so I can actually accomplish something useful.
post #19 of 23 Old 03-10-13, 10:05 PM
Shackster

Looks like the same problem that I am having. Drops below 100 Hz. No filters, no cal settings, using mic setting but wired direct to sound card output. Other analysis programs do not show the drop below 100 Hz
Attached Thumbnails
Help with settings-rew-responce-3-10-13.jpg  

Help with settings-freq-resp-praxis-3-10-13.jpg  

post #20 of 23 Old 03-15-13, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Thanks for the support.

Please post here if you find a solution.

My solution was to take the mic to the range. I was running a pointing dog on a hunt test and blasted the mic with a round of 6's from a 12 gauge. It wasn't going to help my room anyway so I had to have fun with it somehow.

The dog ran awesome as expected for Dixieland Rusty bloodlines. She's a beast and that's what really matters. Was nice to be outside blowing stuff up, mic or birds. Made me feel better anyway.