Getting around the limitations of JavaSound on OS X - Page 10 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #91 of 171 Old 03-04-14, 01:08 PM
Shackster
Chris Liscio

Re: Compatible

Quote:
DanDan wrote: View Post
That's interesting Chris. However, to my knowledge, there are things in OSX treatment of Java which are not compatible with the Java specs. As the purpose of Java is to be a mulitplatform, ahem platform, surely it behoves all of OS's to comply with one central set of specs. I mean, it makes little sense to include Java compatibility in an OS, but leave out or disobey certain aspects. Windows and afaik Linux treat it with re (spec)t and REW works perfectly.
That's not how it works in practice. OS X moves to the beat of its own drum, and Java needs to keep up. I'm sure there's a two-sided arrangement in place, and for some reason it's not functioning as we'd like.

There is undoubtedly some animosity towards Java due to recent security vulnerabilities introduced by the Java runtime. Similar stuff has happened with Adobe's Flash as well. Apple doesn't own either technology, yet failings on the part of Adobe and Oracle ultimately lead to a stain on Apple's reputation with their customers. Apple doesn't really need to take this anymore, and I can understand why they continue to treat third-party cross-platform frameworks and applications as third-class citizens.

Is it ideal for consumers? That's arguable, and not worth exploring here as you pointed out. Way off topic.

Quote:
BTW, Chris and Bob, I have been trying some Export/Import tests. When I force both apps to run at the same Sample Rate, despite REW's protests, i.e. 48Khz the 32 Bit WAV Ex/Im seems to mostly work fine for most graphs. The only flaw I see is that the distortion pre-images are missing in REW. I am fairly sure these used to transfer across before Mavericks.
I will test further but will PM both of you with anything interesting as I believe this is a tad Off Topic.
I just wanted to reinstate the probability that capturing on FM and viewing in REW, on Macs seems still viable.
I expect the Distortion thing to be a small fix or perhaps some parameter I have overlooked.
DD
Distortion is an environmental thing. You're either seeing distortion in your measurements, or you're notóthis isn't "configurable." I'd say that if you're seeing those distortion peaks, then you might want to look at your signal chain to see why it's distorting to begin with, and measure until it mostly disappears.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 171 Old 03-04-14, 01:25 PM
Shackster
DD

Working Together

Interesting points well stated Chris. Also firmly On Topic I reckon.

The Ex/Im thing is not so on topic. I am not sure what you are saying re distortion. I can see the harmonic distortion traces in FM, but when the same sweep is Ex/Im to REW, the Distortion graph has nothing but the fundamental trace. And, the usual pre-0 distortion image is entirely missing. Note this seems similar to BoB Katz earlier posts. Let's continue this in email.
DD
post #93 of 171 Old 03-05-14, 09:46 AM
Shackster
Esprit

Re: Getting around the limitations of JavaSound on OS X

Quote:
DanDan wrote: View Post
Hi Chris, welcome! I sent you an email
Me too

post #94 of 171 Old 03-09-14, 03:52 PM
Shackster
DD

Exporting Import

I have done a little testing. Exporting from FM and importing to REW seems to be working perfectly.
No need to Normalise and I am choosing 32Bit Export. The Distortion components do not make it across, it seems they cannot be, or are not included, within an Exported WAV. This is hardly a drawback as Distortion can be viewed in FM in any case.

DD

Last edited by DanDan; 03-12-14 at 10:55 PM.
post #95 of 171 Old 03-09-14, 03:58 PM
Shackster
DD

Regarding the other issue, I have been informed that
Quote:
Apple's Javasound implementation only appears to work for devices that operate at 44.1k.
We do find examples of REW working at 48K, e.g. after an Import. But it won't communicate with properly with an interface running at 48K, with or without the workaround. I am guessing that this new 'broken' behaviour could well be due to changes caused by Mavericks.
DD

Last edited by DanDan; 03-09-14 at 04:04 PM.
post #96 of 171 Old 03-12-14, 07:42 PM
Shackster
JD

i down loaded the REW and after unsuccessfully running a calibration. the static noise is still on my interface even after Ive uninstalled the rew program. On Mac oSX 10.9
I'm using a Lexicon Omega USB interface
post #97 of 171 Old 03-14-14, 07:43 PM
Shackster
adproducer

My rig: MacBook 2.13 GHz Intel Duo, 2 GB RAM, OS 10.6.8, PreSouns Firebox (2-channel)

I did all the recommended steps for this workaround, and was not successful. I configured Step 3 as suggested, but when I got to Step 5 and clicked "Pass Thru" I never got any meter bounce in the LineIn app window. I've attached grabs of REW5 preference (screen1), LineIn (screen2) and Audio MIDI Set-Up (screen3) windows. The REW5 Prefs gives me default, SoundFlower 2ch, built-in mic, built-in input:line in, PreSouns Firebox and SoundFlower 64 ch for input. The REW5 output choices are default and Java Sound Engine. With LIneIn the input choices are the same plus "silence". I included the Audio MIDI window just in case.

Any other suggestions? Or is this "operator error"? Do I need a Ph.D. ("push here dummy")? Thanks for helping.

Cheers!
AP
Attached Thumbnails
Getting around the limitations of JavaSound on OS X-adrian_screen1.jpg  

Getting around the limitations of JavaSound on OS X-adrian_screen2.jpg  

Getting around the limitations of JavaSound on OS X-adrian_screen3.jpg  

post #98 of 171 Old 03-14-14, 08:40 PM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
adrianproduces wrote: View Post
I never got any meter bounce in the LineIn app window.
Hi, do you have the Firebox selected as input in LineIn?

Can you confirm using some other program that you actually are getting audio in from the Firebox to the Mac? Phantom power is on?
post #99 of 171 Old 04-06-14, 06:47 PM
Shackster

Hi everyone - first time posting here Hopefully I have the right thread...

I'm new to REW. I was hoping to use REW with a Mac (running Mavericks), a UMIK-1 mic, and a HDMI connection. I understand that this is currently not possible - is this correct? (I would be using these in combination with SoundFlower and LineIn).

Thanks
post #100 of 171 Old 04-07-14, 07:52 AM
Elite Shackster

Quote:
SoSleepy wrote: View Post
Hi everyone - first time posting here Hopefully I have the right thread...

I'm new to REW. I was hoping to use REW with a Mac (running Mavericks), a UMIK-1 mic, and a HDMI connection. I understand that this is currently not possible - is this correct? (I would be using these in combination with SoundFlower and LineIn).

Thanks
( Currently,), there is not a single report of a user, successfully running this software/hardware combo ( REW-UMIK-1 ) on a Mac using Mavericks as the OS, ( there are many, many negative reports ) .

Last edited by EarlK; 04-13-14 at 01:55 PM.