Getting around the limitations of JavaSound on OS X - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 171 Old 04-21-13, 10:39 AM
Elite Shackster

Re: Getting around the limitations of JavaSound on OS X

Hi,

I can only offer limited help because my main use of REW is on a PC ( & I don't own a UMIK-1 or any USB type mic ) .

That said ;

There's no real need to use the UCA202 just for output . You can use the heaphone output ( with adapters ) from your MacBook to drive signal over to your AVR .

The very real problem with using your UCA202 for output , is that the Behringer typically utilizes/monopolizes the Macs ( or a PCs ) generic USB driver ( the one built into the system OS ) . The problem is the UMIK-1 will also want & need to use that same driver / creating a conflict.

Only one device can "claim/initialize" ( & then use ) the builtin generic driver . I suggest leaving it available for use by the UMIK ( by not using the UCA202 ) .

That "generic" USB driver looks like this :

I would unplug the UCA202 , bootup REW with the UMIK-1 plugged in ( while making sure that it's selected within REW's preferences window ) , & then open REW's Levels window & then tap the mic to see if there's any input ( all the while with the preferences set to 48K ) .

If there's input, I'd proceed to try to make a measurement .

If you can't get input ( under the circumstances I just described ) then there's a good chance you need to use the mentioned work arounds ( which is really meant for users of multiple input soundcards, be they either USB or FireWire / " multiple input = more than 2 " ) .

Last edited by EarlK; 04-21-13 at 03:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 171 Old 04-21-13, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
REW Author

John

Quote:
chilort wrote: View Post
I have a Behringer UCA202 and a UMIK from miniDSP. Since I only have the problem with a 48kHz in put device, do I need to load all of the software discussed in the blog post?
Afraid so, yes

Quote:
If I load the software discussed, do I leave REW input set to 44.1kHz?
Yes
post #13 of 171 Old 04-21-13, 04:31 PM
Shackster

Quote:
JohnM wrote: View Post
Afraid so, yes

Yes
Thanks!

Eventually, since I'll be setting up a miniDSP for a lilwrecker I'll need to use a PC. But, for now, I'd rather get used to things via my personal 6 year old Mac rather than my 2.5year old work laptop.

post #14 of 171 Old 05-02-13, 03:12 AM

Many Thanks for this Tutorial.

It works fine with OS 10.6.8 and Focusrite Saffire Pro 40.
In Saffire MixControl I routed the DAW 1-2 Out direct to the Monitor Out. I unchecked the HW-Control-Button and adjusted the Output Level.
I saved this as a Preset, so i have only to load this Preset before measuring.

Yesterday I tried to use JackOSX - didn't work.
post #15 of 171 Old 05-08-13, 11:56 AM
Shackster

Deleted ... never mind, it was a stupid question.

Last edited by chilort; 05-08-13 at 12:45 PM.
post #16 of 171 Old 07-11-13, 01:18 PM
wes
Shackster

wes

Does the new software works with HDMi and the mac?
post #17 of 171 Old 09-16-13, 12:45 PM
Shackster

Dear John M,

unfortunately John Reekies' workaround does not work in our case which is:
MBPro OS X 10.8.2
Focusrite Saffire 40 PRO, 44.1kHz
Jave updated to latest version
REW 5.0, 44.1kHz
Since we could not get FireWire to work for the input (output worked fine), we configured only the output via FireWire (then to Sub, Crossover, Speaker, Room, Mic) and came back from the Saffire via its Analog Out to the MBPro LineIn, which seemed to work in the beginning.
I started with 2 sweeps per measurement and got caught by a 30dB dip around 11k in the FR.
To analyse, we spared out the Speakers and the Mic, connected the two cables directly to each other ('wired loop') and found in a mostly flat response the mentioned dip.
Getting around the limitations of JavaSound on OS X-kal-gr-schleife-2-sweeps.jpg
After quite a while and mostly by chance I found that reducing the sweeps to 1 per measurement gives me a flat result. See the 1sweep vs. 2 sweeps in the next image
Getting around the limitations of JavaSound on OS X-2-sweeps-vs-1-sweep.jpg
Diggin deeper I wondered, what happened, if I'd increase #of sweeps, and here's what I got for 4 sweeps
Getting around the limitations of JavaSound on OS X-kal-gr-schleife-4-sweeps.jpg
and here for 8 sweeps.
Getting around the limitations of JavaSound on OS X-kal-gr-schleife-8-sweeps.jpg
I only guessed, that, since these results are very reproduceable, it's got nothin to do with WiFi or Laptop CPU overload or sg. - nevertheless I checked, turned everything off, dips are still there.

Then I came across the above mentioned input workaround. We did it according to the descriptions, but what we got was, instead of getting better, that signal generation, output and input "reacting" extremely delayed. With the meters on the screen, after hitting check levels, or measure, or calibrate we could wait and then see with more than a sec delay the REW pre OUT meter showing the signal, then, approx another sec later the focusrite input meter, and then, slowly rising, the REW pref In meter - showing the signals.
We got error messages, that the IR is not at the expected position, so we tried a loopback as a t0 reference, which gave us a flat result till 3kHz, but then jumped down into noise (sorry - no pic from that).
After restarts, of Saffire, MBPro, REW etc and no improvment, we were forced to go back to our initial solution and uninstall the input workaround (Soundflower).

So we are still stuck with the limitation to only being able to do 1 sweep, which I'd like to overcome, to improve S/N, apart from increasing the sweep length, since it is a bit noisy around where we have to measure...
To me, it looks like an issue related to either windowing or aliasing or similar, but I did not manage to put my finger on it...
Any ideas regarding our dip-pattern, John M maybe?
Many thanks for your thoughts on that!
Markus
post #18 of 171 Old 09-16-13, 01:34 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

REW 5.0 has several issues. I think one of those is not handling multiple sweep.

Have you tried REW 5.01 Beta 17?
post #19 of 171 Old 09-16-13, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
REW Author

John

Dips with multiple sweeps are caused by loss of synchronisation between the individual sweeps. The sweeps are generated as one continuous signal, but there seem to be some audio setup combinations that result in either gaps or missing data, possibly related to sample rate changes along the chain. When that happens there is a sharp null at a frequency corresponding to the time slip and the impulse response shows a separate peak for each sweep, separated by the amount of the time slip.
post #20 of 171 Old 09-16-13, 04:23 PM
Shackster

I suspected our FireWire & LineIn combination as well to contribute to this, but I cant get it to work with the FireWire only, or the LineIn workaround, respectively. I can not think of any SR changes along the process, when REW and Focusrite are on 44.1k... could you? REW 5.01 Beta 17 would not help in this case? Markus