Getting around the limitations of JavaSound on OS X - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #21 of 171 Old 09-17-13, 03:19 AM

Re: Getting around the limitations of JavaSound on OS X

Hi,
i am using a mbp 15" early 2011 with os x 10.7.5 and run REW 5.0.17beta. My Interface is a Presonus Firebox Mobil with FW 400. The MacbookPro use a FW 800 Port.
Using the discription of John, brings no result. (Thank you! It is a very good description)
Triying other presets did not produce a satisfactory result.

Can anyon help me in this case? Could it work with REW 5.0 13beta? Cause John dit it in his description with that version. Were can i get REW 5.0 13???

Thank´s a lot!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 171 Old 09-18-13, 03:31 AM
Senior Shackster

Hi muscape, I've used the workaround with beta 17, it works fine (for me). I don't think beta13 will make any difference.

Could I request please that you provide more detailed information, "brings no result" is not descriptive enough to help in identifying the problem Screenshots of all of your settings panes would be the most helpful. I forget what the minimum number of posts to add images is, but you may need to make a few more posts. Or post a link to a site where you have put screenshots.
post #23 of 171 Old 09-18-13, 03:34 AM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
groovbert wrote: View Post
I suspected our FireWire & LineIn combination as well to contribute to this, but I cant get it to work with the FireWire only, or the LineIn workaround, respectively. I can not think of any SR changes along the process, when REW and Focusrite are on 44.1k... could you? REW 5.01 Beta 17 would not help in this case? Markus
Hi Markus, what version are you using? I think it would be helpful to be using beta17.

I have not tried the multiple sweep feature with the input workaround. I'll give it a go and see whether it works for me or not. (Will be next week at this point though.)

post #24 of 171 Old 09-20-13, 02:42 AM
Shackster

Dear HifiZine,
thanks for your reply - we worked with REW 5.0.
According to Johns Reply, multiple sweeps can be a problem with some AudioSetup combinations. We did a 7 day Workshop-Session and I flew back home yesterday.
I guess John M would have indicated to use a later version of his SW, if he had improved anything with the later beta releases.
Anyway, I do not have access to the gear where I am now but I am definitly interested how to overcome the multi-sweep trouble, since the studio is in the course of being built now and I plan to be back to check on the progress.

Regards,
Markus

Last edited by groovbert; 09-20-13 at 02:52 AM. Reason: grammar error... ;-)
post #25 of 171 Old 11-12-13, 02:31 AM

Hi HifiZine,

thank you for your answer. Now, i must did some more posts for adding pictures, so this is one of it.
I will lock forward to take some screenshots.

I will deinstalled all the programs an will install it new to take a nother try form Zero.
Hope it fix the problem. If not, i´m going to look for a cheap usb interface. Seems to be the easyest way…

See u...
post #26 of 171 Old 11-13-13, 02:43 AM

It works fine with OS 10.6.8 and Focusrite Saffire Pro 40.
In Saffire MixControl I routed the DAW 1-2 Out direct to the Monitor Out. I unchecked the HW-Control-Button and adjusted the Output Level.
I saved this as a Preset, so i have only to load this Preset before measuring.
post #27 of 171 Old 12-24-13, 08:26 AM
Shackster

My System

I see the work around page for OSX is offline - I just received my mic and now what?
post #28 of 171 Old 12-24-13, 10:43 AM
Elite Shackster

Quote:
stereo247 wrote: View Post
I see the work around page for OSX is offline - I just received my mic and now what?
John's page works for me / must be your local ISP .

<> EarlK
post #29 of 171 Old 12-27-13, 03:46 PM
Shackster
DD

Macs don't work.

Just got my new UMIK. I have tested this workaround extensively.
There are random latency issues caused by LineIn, which give rise to the 'Impulse Response peak is not at the right....' There are low level warnings due to the recommendation to set AMS to 0.32 or 0dB.
Ultimately I have persuaded it to work, but not reliably due to random issues.
I have the AudioMidi Setup level at 24dB which is also described as 1. This delivers reasonable measurement levels without warnings for being at -30 or -40dB.
In order to tame the SPL meter, I had to rewrite the sensitivity in the Cal file from -6 to +12 dB.
Now, I have have excellent correlation between a real Calibrated SLM and the one in REW, and mostly successful measurements. But I have to say, I wouldn't wish this on anybody. Conversely the onboard Mac Line I/O work perfectly every time.

DD

Last edited by DanDan; 01-02-14 at 12:26 PM.
post #30 of 171 Old 12-31-13, 02:04 AM
Shackster
deromax

Hello! I'm using REW for a non-standard application where it would be useful to be able to measure audio above 20 kHz. It would be nice if a future release of the software supports true 48 kHz sampling rate or even higher.

Thanks for reading and hats off to the developpers!