Getting around the limitations of JavaSound on OS X - Page 7 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #61 of 171 Old 02-22-14, 04:56 PM
Senior Shackster
Bob

Re: Getting around the limitations of JavaSound on OS X

Quote:
DanDan wrote: View Post
Hi Bob. Thanks for your staunch efforts. I have been there....... although the complexities of Jack were beyond me.
Is Line In really broken in Mavericks? I have a new boot SSD in my studio computer. afaik I have successfully used LineIn on Mavericks. ( I use Line In to access Dirac Live as a virtual piece of HW) Long story.
All readers plse note the onboard Line Input and Output both Analogue and Digital Optical on the Mac work fine with REW.
FuzzMeasure works fine with Macs and the IR's can be exported for Import into REW which has more and better analysis features.
DD
Excellent point Dan about exporting the IRs from Fuzzmeasure! That's exactly the procedure I will do from this moment on. I don't know for sure if LineIn is broken on Mavericks, I only know that the installer crashed on my machine. Did you install LineIn back in the day and then upgrade to Mavericks? Jack looks daunting, but it is really a sweet puppy that any engineer who has ever patched a gozinta into a gozouta can conquer. Just read the manual, then turn it on and use it. Suddenly the light bulb will light up and you've got it. Did you read my procedure in the other thread?

As for the onboard of the MacPro. I don't want to go lofi and use the analog interface. However, I do have the optical digital out of the MacPro hooked up and it can feed my DAC in Studio B. For the input side, I'll rig up an SPDIF to Toslink converter and try using the MOTU as a standalone external ADC. If the Mac can be put into external sync on digital in and then Java can address it maybe we can do it that way. Sounds like a project for another rainy weekend.

Bob Katz DIGITAL DOMAIN |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Mastering Engineer, Recording Engineer, Author, Audiophile
No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number
of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Last edited by bobkatz; 02-22-14 at 05:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 171 Old 02-22-14, 05:51 PM
Shackster
DD

Unfortunately Bob, there is a little more.....
When Exporting from FM, first Normalise, then chose 24 or 32 Bit, not the default 16.
Import the resulting Aiff or Wav into REW and let the analysis begin. In a sense I wish that REW also cost 150 bucks because FM is kinda withering on the vine because the developer is trying to make a living with his other (quite interesting) iapps.
I will try Jack, reading your above post, in an effort to enable my Dirac Live workaround, which despite your gozintas and outas, which I regularly use, would make your eyes water. LineIn works for me but randomly comes up with long latencies which have to be cleared by clicking the pass through..... Two second long latencies.....
Mavericks finally dumps all support for PPC code. I expect that his why the Line In installer would not work.
Just copy your previous LineIn or I can send you the one I have working on Mav.

And more. Digidesign CoreAudioManager can nicely screw any scenario up if you change from 44.1 to 48 and then try to return. Glorious silence..... What is it with 48K? I never regarded this as a norm or a default, yet, Digidesign and many others, like MiniDSP, do.

Just to get fully back OT here though, are you now saying as I did some posts ago? ...i.e. 'These workarounds are not working'

DD
post #63 of 171 Old 02-23-14, 06:57 AM

thx a lot john,
now everything works as expected with osx 10.6.8 and digi 002 .

post #64 of 171 Old 02-23-14, 07:14 AM
Senior Shackster
Bob

Dear DanDan and crew:

Yes, I am saying that these workarounds are not working for me, at least with the MOTU interface and the ULN-8. The problem with the ULN-8 is its output patching facility is not seen by REW, although it is seen by every other audio application on the Mac. The reason: Javasound. Audio applications have to directly support CoreAudio on the Mac in order to really work well. I'd be happy to switch back to PC, but I've got troubles with this MOTU interface and REW over there as you know.

My suggestion to John is that he continue to develop REW as a wonderful analysis program written in Java. And create an ancillary program written in another language for both PC and Mac that can do the sweeps. On the PC this ancillary program should support ASIO directly and stably. On the Mac it should support CoreAudio directly and stably. Maybe he should charge for the sampling program but continue to make REW freeware? In John's "copious free time" of course...

As an analyzer, REW works great and has some of the best and easiest-to-use and understand audio analysis tools on the planet. I also have Acourate and admire it greatly. It can do things which REW never dreamed of, it is extremely powerful but the learning curve is high. Even so, it does not have the graphic displays like RT60 and waterfalls, the automatic calculation of Eq's for IIR-based products, etc. Horses for courses as they say. REW was developed by a developer who knows how to make user-friendly software, right on down to the help menu. It should be a commercial product, John, I'd pay $200 for REW today! Actually, I did contribute to the HTS, hope some of this money got to John.

I decided to pretend it was a rainy day and try using the digital I/O of the MacPro with REW. The Mac Pro with Snow Leopard doesn't apparently lock to an external optical source as I could not even see the microphone output in OSX's Sound preferences. So end of that story.

Thanks for the offer, DanDan, but don't send me LineIn. I never had it in the first place and I'd rather not engage in the workaround. My short term memory isn't what it used to be, and carrying around a set of complicated notes just to take a sweep is not my idea of a fun day.

BK

Quote:
DanDan wrote: View Post
Unfortunately Bob, there is a little more.....
When Exporting from FM, first Normalise, then chose 24 or 32 Bit, not the default 16.
Import the resulting Aiff or Wav into REW and let the analysis begin. In a sense I wish that REW also cost 150 bucks because FM is kinda withering on the vine because the developer is trying to make a living with his other (quite interesting) iapps.
I will try Jack, reading your above post, in an effort to enable my Dirac Live workaround, which despite your gozintas and outas, which I regularly use, would make your eyes water. LineIn works for me but randomly comes up with long latencies which have to be cleared by clicking the pass through..... Two second long latencies.....
Mavericks finally dumps all support for PPC code. I expect that his why the Line In installer would not work.
Just copy your previous LineIn or I can send you the one I have working on Mav.

And more. Digidesign CoreAudioManager can nicely screw any scenario up if you change from 44.1 to 48 and then try to return. Glorious silence..... What is it with 48K? I never regarded this as a norm or a default, yet, Digidesign and many others, like MiniDSP, do.

Just to get fully back OT here though, are you now saying as I did some posts ago? ...i.e. 'These workarounds are not working'

DD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #65 of 171 Old 02-23-14, 07:32 AM
Senior Shackster
Bob

Oh by the way, the Impulse which I exported from FuzzMeasure has some garbage in front of the impulse that FuzzMeasure itself does not show. So it must be some artifact of the export or perhaps the normalization. I shortened the REW analysis left hand window to (hopefully) not include most of that garbage. Here's a picture of it. Any thoughts on the cause or whether it hurts any of the analysis to include this garbage that's in front of the impulse?
Attached Thumbnails
Getting around the limitations of JavaSound on OS X-screen-shot-2014-02-23-8.30.26-am.png  

post #66 of 171 Old 02-23-14, 10:10 AM
Shackster
DD

Bit beyond my pay grade but as best I can describe it, that pre information is the distortion.
Take no notice of it, but keep it in case you want to view harmonic distortion.
My MacPro is on Snow Leopard (and Mavericks on a second SSD boot) It is happily accepting a Digital Optical Stream from my Digi HD192. BUT a friend has just noticed that his MacPro won't accept 96K on the Dig input, while his Macbook Pro will. The following is working fine for me....LOL, try Gozinta on this lot.
Getting around the limitations of JavaSound on OS X-screen-shot-2014-02-23-16.27.52.png
Note, the AMS stated Unlocked until I quit and reopened it!
Fuzz has a wonderful facility for remote recording. It generates a sweep that can be played on anything and the result recorded into anything, even Zooms or whatever. Altiverb has an even better system. But unfortunately I need to see my results immediately as this often dictates the next test, e.g. a change of position of speaker or mic and so on.

DD

Last edited by DanDan; 02-23-14 at 10:31 AM.
post #67 of 171 Old 02-23-14, 10:20 AM
Shackster
Esprit

Can I use[*] REW with an UMIK-1 virtualizing Windows on the Mac (Parallels, Fusion, etc ...)?
[*]"properly and fully functional"
post #68 of 171 Old 02-23-14, 12:19 PM
Elite Shackster

Quote:
Esprit wrote: View Post
Can I use[*] REW with an UMIK-1 virtualizing Windows on the Mac (Parallels, Fusion, etc ...)?
[*]"properly and fully functional"

The answer to your question is currently unknown ( as far as I'm concerned ) due to the fact that "Mavericks" has broken a couple of basic functionalities that people have come to rely on .

Running in an emulated ( virtual ) PC mode is ( apparently ) no longer a guarantee of success for REW/Java compatibility ( due to something changing within Mavericks ) .

In my ( limited ) experience , OSX 10.6.8 ( with Java 6 ) was the "sweet-spot" for REW compatibility ( when running an Intel-based Mac ) .

post #69 of 171 Old 02-23-14, 01:17 PM
Shackster
Esprit

All new Mac cannot use Snow Leopard.
To summarize: REW isn't a software to be used with a Mac
It isn't multi-platform (it is better to try/find/look for another sw)
post #70 of 171 Old 02-23-14, 01:51 PM
Elite Shackster

Quote:
Esprit wrote: View Post
All new Mac cannot use Snow Leopard.
To summarize: REW isn't a software to be used with a Mac
It isn't multi-platform (it is better to try/find/look for another sw)

The quoted text, read as statements ( since they lack the required "?" after the text ) so I'll treat them as such .

i) Your Line 1 is true .

ii) I would debate line 2 ( since you didn't use the word "new" before the word Mac . REW has been used successfully with earlier versions of the Mac OS .

iii) Line 3 ( looks to be ) true, if one is insistent on using a Mac that is running Mavericks .

Last edited by EarlK; 02-23-14 at 06:24 PM.