Confessions of a REW Beginner: Am I doing this right? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 5 Old 02-28-13, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Confessions of a REW Beginner: Am I doing this right?

Measuring equipment used: Behringer UCA-222 USB Sound Card, Radio Shack 33-4050 SPL Meter, Laptop, SVS PB-10

How I connected everything: On the UCA-222, I connected a single RCA from the RIGHT input to the output of the SPL meter that is set to "C-weight/slow/70dB". On the UCA-222, I connected a single RCA cable from the RIGHT output into the CD inputs on the back of my receiver using a Y-connect cable on the end of the RCA.

I am not sure if the MONITOR switch on the UCA-222 was to be off or on, so I left it switched OFF. Also, the volume knob on the UCA-222 was all the way down so I left it that way.

I opened up REW and hit the measure icon and it told me to calibrate the SPL meter. I wasn't sure what to do there so I left the figure at 75dB. Next, I performed a measurement from 15Hz to 150Hz and got back some results. I did not know where to factor in a calibration file that I downloaded for my SPL meter so those figures may be off. Anyway I would appreciate if you can tell me what I did wrong and how to do it right. I feel like I am close, but this program has a steep, steep learning curve for beginners.

Right now, all I want to do is find out what my room is doing to my subwoofer performance, and after that learn how to correct it using my newly aquired BFD 1124P that I got from Craigslist for a steal. I will take some measurements and post back here, in the mean time, feel free to double-check anything I might have missed. Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-01-13, 04:12 AM
Elite Shackster

bigbadbill

Re: Confessions of a REW Beginner: Am I doing this right?

Quote:
kalexan9 wrote: View Post
I opened up REW and hit the measure icon and it told me to calibrate the SPL meter. I wasn't sure what to do there so I left the figure at 75dB.
Run the calibration tone and increase the receiver volume until your SPL reads 75 dB

Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.

DIY completed:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #3 of 5 Old 03-01-13, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
robbo266317 wrote: View Post
Run the calibration tone and increase the receiver volume until your SPL reads 75 dB
Thanks robbo! Sorry for the delayed reply but I have had some issues with the sound card that required me to troubleshoot instead of asking 20 questions. I was running into the problem where my usb sound card would loose its settings wit the laptop and not output sound unless I re-ran the card calibration process. Also, when I would take a measurement, the program would tell me the volume was too low even though I had the receiver cranked all the way up. I don't know if it was the card, or the laptop, but I guess I'll have to live with it until I go more professional with my equipment. Anyway, here is a measurement of my subwoofer from 18Hz to 125Hz. Does this look right/typical? What does it mean? Thanks to everyone for looking, and let me know if you need more info. Otherwise, I await any help I can get.
Attached Thumbnails
Confessions of a REW Beginner: Am I doing this right?-3-1-13-subwoofer-measurement.jpg  

post #4 of 5 Old 03-03-13, 06:22 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Wayne A. Pflughaupt

See this thread: Getting Graphs Ready to Post

Regards,
Wayne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

|

post #5 of 5 Old 03-03-13, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
Wayne A. Pflughaupt wrote: View Post

See this thread: Getting Graphs Ready to Post

Regards,
Wayne
Thanks. I'll correct asap.