Room Response - comments, please! - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #21 of 25 Old 04-18-13, 06:32 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Re: Room Response - comments, please!

We’ve certainly seen cases here in the past where an upright vs. horizontal orientation using the 0-degree calibration file showed drooping high-end response with the former – really distressed the fellow when his response looked worse than he felt it sounded. My AudioControl RTA shows a sag in high-end response above 2 kHz when I point the mic off-axis.

I suspect a room’s acoustics can make a difference in these situations, but that’s a hard thing to quantify from one case to the next on a Forum like this. It never hurts to try legitimate measurements with both mic orientations (“legitimate” meaning that the proper calibration for the orientation is in place). However, if the two measurements come out different, I have more confidence in the accuracy of the horizontal orientation w/ a 0-degree calibration file measurement.

Regards,
Wayne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 25 Old 04-19-13, 02:52 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
John

Quote:
AudiocRaver wrote: View Post
I have performed similar tests in the past and come to the same conclusion. Pointing the mic 180 degrees away from the speaker causes HF droop of several db. Anything less than 90 degrees off axis, the measurement difference was less than 1 db and that was all above 10 KHz where no EQing is done anyway. There is a lot said about mic orientation and it does no harm to follow the common guidelines so I don't argue about it, but if someone asks how much difference it really makes, this is my answer: At 90 deg or less off axis - for all practical purposes - none.
Hi AudiocRaver,

Many thanks for your reply.

It is good to know that you had come to the same conclusion based on your experiments.

JPC
post #23 of 25 Old 04-19-13, 03:14 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
John

Quote:
Wayne A. Pflughaupt wrote: View Post

We’ve certainly seen cases here in the past where an upright vs. horizontal orientation using the 0-degree calibration file showed drooping high-end response with the former – really distressed the fellow when his response looked worse than he felt it sounded. My AudioControl RTA shows a sag in high-end response above 2 kHz when I point the mic off-axis.

I suspect a room’s acoustics can make a difference in these situations, but that’s a hard thing to quantify from one case to the next on a Forum like this. It never hurts to try legitimate measurements with both mic orientations (“legitimate” meaning that the proper calibration for the orientation is in place). However, if the two measurements come out different, I have more confidence in the accuracy of the horizontal orientation w/ a 0-degree calibration file measurement.

Regards,
Wayne
Hi Wayne,

Thanks for your reply.

I think you've hit the nail on the head when you say "I suspect a room’s acoustics can make a difference in these situations". Clearly, the room's acoustics will make a difference. I can well appreciate that HF signals will be attenuated/absorbed along the length of the room. My room is carpeted and has a thick rug placed on top of it. One of the walls along the length of the room has cabinets and cupboards on it thus reducing reflections.

For me, this is a very useful observation. On the face of it, I may need to increase the upper end output from my speakers to compensate for the room's acoustics. I was already planning to replace the TN28 tweeters anyway!

John

post #24 of 25 Old 04-19-13, 03:52 PM
REW Author

John

Quote:
jaypeecee wrote: View Post
On the face of it, I may need to increase the upper end output from my speakers to compensate for the room's acoustics.
There's a good chance they will sound worse if you do that. Our ears/brain are very good at distinguishing the direct signal from the speakers from the sound that is reflected from the surfaces of the room (much better than our measurement equipment).
post #25 of 25 Old 04-19-13, 04:47 PM
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers

I don't think we have seen any RT60 numbers for your room yet. If it is truly pretty dead, RT60 below .3 sec or so and minimal early reflections, then a slight HF boost might sound OK. But as John says, it can easily do more harm than good. Can you show us an RT60 plot or post your measurement file?

Reiterating, I am not suggesting you ignore accepted mic orientation guidelines, only sharing my observations since you asked about it specifically.