Room simulation - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 70 Old 05-04-13, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
REW Author

John

Room simulation

Last year I found myself wanting to study the effect of multiple subwoofers, so I wrote a simulation for rectangular rooms that supports up to 4 subwoofers and a pair of speakers. I've finally got around to tidying it up and including it in the latest REW beta release.

Room simulation-roomsim.jpg

I'm curious to know how useful people find a tool like this. Many of us don't have rectangular rooms of course, and ultimately there is no substitute for measurements, but if this sort of thing is useful and there are additional features that would make it significantly more useful I'll look at adding them. Let me know what you think.

P.S. Here is some help information for the room simulator (also in REW's help): simulator help.

Last edited by JohnM; 05-04-13 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Added link to help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 70 Old 05-04-13, 01:47 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

My System
Re: Room simulation

Very cool! It could be useful in setting up small office systems which are perhaps more commonly rectangular.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #3 of 70 Old 05-04-13, 03:16 PM
Senior Shackster
Matt

An optimization feature where placements with flat responses and minimal resonance dips could be found would be cool! I realize this may be a lot of work. Something like RPG room optimizer... Also, the way things are color coded on this site: http://www.hunecke.de/en/calculators/loudspeakers.html in the applet is pretty cool, it basically shows based on the listening positions, what some decent placements are... the 2-dimensionality of it makes it a little difficult to use, maybe there is a way to show in 3d where good/bad (even/uneven) placements responses would be, based on the listening position.

Is it possible to add non-rectangular rooms via some sort of wave field analysis? I realize that if it were easy, you probably would have already implemented this

The way you have things setup where the various microphones follow the head is beautiful, excellent design - thank you for making this! This is truly a great feature.

EDIT/addition: also, a way to compare two different sub locations directly, where you could see sub location response a vs b in comparison would be very cool. Does REW save the dimensions, absorption coefficients, etc when it is closed?

Last edited by Chester; 05-04-13 at 11:36 PM.

post #4 of 70 Old 05-05-13, 04:53 AM Thread Starter
REW Author

John

Quote:
Chester wrote: View Post
Does REW save the dimensions, absorption coefficients, etc when it is closed?
Of course it does
post #5 of 70 Old 05-05-13, 07:30 PM

I have been using REW some time ago.

It would be awesome if you put away the restrictions of the measures.

(excuse my English)
post #6 of 70 Old 05-05-13, 11:11 PM
Senior Shackster

Ray

My System
Send a message via Yahoo to cavchameleon

John,

Thanks a LOT for doing this, awesome as always. I'll try it out soon.

Ray

Ray

Happy Listening!!! Listen with an open mind and heart!!!
post #7 of 70 Old 05-08-13, 08:29 AM
Senior Shackster

Matt

My System

This is great, really useful and interesting to play with.

What would it take to extend this to slightly more irregular rooms? is that feasible or becomes too computationally challenging?

The reason I ask is because my room is essentially a cuboid but with alcoves/recesses. I find the simulation is really accurate when the MLP is away from those recesses but not particularly accurate when you approach those corners.

To be specific, I measured 4 sub locations with responses in 3 listening positions, the simulation is consistently accurate for MLP 2 but not for MLP 1 or 3.

Room simulation-plan_view_with_mlp.jpg
post #8 of 70 Old 05-08-13, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
REW Author

John

Quote:
3ll3d00d wrote: View Post
What would it take to extend this to slightly more irregular rooms? is that feasible or becomes too computationally challenging?
It would need a completely different approach as closed form solutions for the equations do not exist - the main approaches are finite element, finite differences and boundary element method, but all are computationally intensive.
post #9 of 70 Old 05-10-13, 02:45 AM

John,

It is a really cool software!Thanks from Chinese fans here.All my friends are suprised on it.So exciting!
Just one thing they want me to ask,How come the frequency response curve will not change if we just change the woofer's direction by Right click the icon of subs,Because it will change at physical truth.
And will you improve the Room simulation by adding this function in new beta REW?
Thank you so much for doing those great jobs!

Your Chinese pal,
Ryan
post #10 of 70 Old 05-10-13, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
REW Author

John

Hello Ryan. REW treats all the sources as omnidirectional, so rotating them will not have any effect. I'll look at supporting directional sources but it may not be easy to achieve.