Need Help (Focusrite Scarlett 8i6) - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 7 Old 05-15-13, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Smile Need Help (Focusrite Scarlett 8i6)

Hi all,

I am trying to callibrate my soundcard, but its harder to get it work than I thougt

My Hardware:
Soundcard = Focusrite Scarlett 8i6
Mic = Behringer ECM8000

Software:
Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit
REW 5.01 Beta 17 build 2967

My Soundcard has the Software called MixControl where I can route the buse/channels. I have set DAW 1 to Loopback 1 (left) and DAW 2 to Loop Back 2 (right). See attachement file for more information.

Then I set up the preferences in REW5 like in the attachement file. I also can hear the reference tone.

But when I finfish the callibration, the graph is only a straight line (seee attachement). Do I have the perfect soundcard or what am I doing wrong?

Thanks for your help
Attached Thumbnails
Need Help (Focusrite Scarlett 8i6)-rew5pref.jpg  

Need Help (Focusrite Scarlett 8i6)-rev5graph.jpg  

Need Help (Focusrite Scarlett 8i6)-mixcontrol.jpg  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-15-13, 08:42 AM
Elite Shackster

Re: Need Help (Focusrite Scarlett 8i6)

You really need the help of someone who is fully conversant about the ( Ins & Outs ) of MixControl .

You'll find that these software based mixers ( like MixControl ) are major stumbling blocking for newbs trying to get signal into ( & out of ) REW .
- It escapes ( most non-musicians ) that these mixers are meant to create heaphone mixes for players to monitor existing tracks ( to play along with while they are recording ) .

Having said all that, it's obvious ( to me ) that you have setup ( this software based mixer ) incorrectly .

For instance ,

INPUTS:

REW's inputs need to be connected to the hardware based ( choices seen within Focusrites' MixControl ).
- That would appear to be named "Anlg input 1" & "Anlg input 2" .
- The ( MixControl ) faders should ( most likely ) be kept down & off ( since usually , typically those input faders only effect the levels sent to the output of this type of monitoring mixer ) .

OUTPUTS:

According to the screenshot of your MixControl setup, you should be discovering REW's output signals appearing at ( your Scarlett 8i6 ) analog outputs, 1 & 2 .

Creating a LoopBack ( for calibrating your soundcard )

- These loopbacks must be made using a physical cable that connects your soundcards output to the input channel ( that'll ultimately ) be used with your test mic ( & reference timing chnl ) .

- You've ( unfortunately ) become confused by the inclusion of a ( software based ) loopback circuit found within MixControl ( & mistakenly utilized it within your setup ). Don't use it ( that's why you're measurements are currently only flatlines ) .

post #3 of 7 Old 05-15-13, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Thanks a lot for your reply!

Although my english is not soo good, I try to understand what you mean.

Well now I bought that missing cable and connect it as you can see in picture 1 (yellow circles).

In REW for input I cannot choose 'Anlg 1 input' or 'Anlg 2 input' (see picture 2 & 3 for input & output).

So I set the Output of REW to '1: Mon 1' and the Input to '3: Line 3'. And now I had to turn up the volume knob to the maximum to reach the level of -15dB (see picture 4). I hope I am doing right

The Headroom is about 12dB (see picture 5).

And last but not least I got the expected graph, I hope it so at least. Can you check the .mdat File if everything I did is correct? Thanks a lot for your help
Attached Thumbnails
Need Help (Focusrite Scarlett 8i6)-connection.jpg  

Need Help (Focusrite Scarlett 8i6)-inputs.jpg  

Need Help (Focusrite Scarlett 8i6)-outputs.jpg  

Need Help (Focusrite Scarlett 8i6)-meters.jpg  

Need Help (Focusrite Scarlett 8i6)-headroom.jpg  

Attached Files scarlett_8i6.mdat (3.65 MB) 

post #4 of 7 Old 05-15-13, 11:32 AM
Elite Shackster

Yes, your setup is getting better now that you aren't using the builtin LoopBack circuit . .

- You ( & 1 ) can see from your current measurement (.mdat file ) that the line-out to line-in measurement doesn't really need a correction file .
- The problem here is that actual REW testing requires the use of a mic pre-amp / therefore this line-out to line-in measurement is somewhat moot ( misleading & beside the point ).
- ( & ) Typically line level circuitry is "flatter" than the circuitry found in a pre-amp .

- ( Therefore ), I would chose "1: Mic 1" as the input channel for a new loopback measurement ( since this is the actual mic pre-amp that will get used ) .
- Use the same output that you are currently using .

Last edited by EarlK; 05-15-13 at 03:53 PM.
post #5 of 7 Old 05-16-13, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Thanks you so much, now everything is clear and its working

Tomorrow I will receive the basstraps and acoustic foams so I hope there will be some measurable improvements in my homestudio
post #6 of 7 Old 05-16-13, 05:03 PM
REW Author

John

Good to see Earl has got you going, I'll delete the posts in the V5 beta thread.
post #7 of 7 Old 05-17-13, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

@JohnM: Yes please, delete them thanks