Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

REW and RS SPL Meter (new 2055)

Tags
2055 meter rs spl
1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  fusseli 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a small home recording studio, and I have a couple of newbie questions about using REW with a RS SPL meter. I have a newer Radio Shack 2055 digital meter. It's the newer grey model with a rubberized grip and a windscreen. I can't post a link, but a quick search on the Radio Shack website for "sound meter" will provide specs and a pic. This newer model doesn't look like the older 2055. The older digital 2055's are black, have a large dial, and no windscreen.

My first question is will this particular RS SPL meter be adequate to use for not only SPL calibration but also as a measurement mic for FR and decay times? I've seen on here that others use the older 2055, but I haven't seen anything about the newer grey model, and I just wanted to check.

Second question...will the 2055 calibration file work for this newer model as well? Or do I need something different for calibration?

Thanks for the help.

#2 ·
Should be fine for measurement below a few kHz and looking at decays/waterfalls. You can't use the cal for the other meter, better off just using the 'C weighted SPL meter' setting without a cal file and don't place too much faith in the accuracy of the responses.

#3 ·
I have searched before for a .cal for the newer RS meter and it doesn't look like anyone has taken the time to create one yet. I did a side by side comparison of the new and the old meters, there is a significant difference in FR (especially in the LF) so the old .cal definitely should not be used. Hopefully time will tell that the newer meter is actually better...

#4 ·
Thank you guys for the info. And, fusseli, thanks for the link to the comparison that you did. I noticed that was back in June '12. Have you used / tested the newer model any more over the last year or so? Any additional thoughts on it's accuracy in regards to LF and/or HF? Also, should the the windscreen be used for measurements or no?

Thanks again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.