REW cabling connection question - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 8 Old 02-09-14, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
TEK
Shackster

REW cabling connection question

Sorry, I assume I should understand this - but I don't. Could somebody please give me a hint so I can understand why I don't get this?

The attached image is from the REW Cabling and connection thread.
From what I understand REW only output stereo channel sound. But if I connect my system as suggested, and I feed a stereo channel signal into my receiver (A Marantz SR 7005) feed from a HTPC, then I will only get a signal out through the subwoofer if my mains are set to small, and then I will get the signal that the receiver is feeding to the sub as well as what is being feed to the mains. I can of course disconnect the mains, but still the receiver will affect what is sent to the mains and what is sent to the sub because it will apply its crossover filter.
If I say that the receiver should not assume that the speakers is small, then no output will go to the sub.

So - is there something missing in the drawing, or am I just thinking about this the wrong way around? If I connect my system like this, how would I then get the signal to the sub without the receiver affecting the signal? (and I do not want the receiver to affect my signal as I'm attempting to get information about how the sub alone is working in the room).

Any help is appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
REW cabling connection question-rew-20connection-20usb-20soundcard.jpg  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-09-14, 06:55 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Re: Dumb noob question

REW’s output is mono, that’s why the picture show a “y” splitter to get the signal into both channels of your receiver’s input. As long as you have the subwoofer enabled in your receiver, the signal will pass to it.

Regards,
Wayne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|

post #3 of 8 Old 02-10-14, 12:38 AM Thread Starter
TEK
Shackster

Re: REW cabling connection question

Isn't that only if my mains is set to small, and then the receiver will use it's crossover to send something to the mains and something to the sub?

If I disconnect both speakers and connect pre out from one of the speakers to the sub LFE imput, then I would get the whole signal to the sub.
Or I guess that I could use the first option, but disconnect the speakers and let the receiver work as the hi-frequency filter. The problem is that I'm not sure if I'm able to do that and bypass the receivers eq settings at the same time.

Everything would have been so much easier if REW supported the ability to send the signal to a given output channel....

post #4 of 8 Old 02-10-14, 12:21 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Quote:
TEK wrote: View Post
Isn't that only if my mains is set to small, and then the receiver will use it's crossover to send something to the mains and something to the sub?
Yes.

Quote:
If I disconnect both speakers and connect pre out from one of the speakers to the sub LFE imput, then I would get the whole signal to the sub.
The sub only generates low frequcencies; there’s no reason to send it a full-range signal.

However you have your receiver set up for your actual day-to-day use will work for REW, assuming you have the subwoofer enabled. Just set the receiver for “Stereo” or “Direct” mode. You will probably want to disable the receiver’s sub EQ; that way you can compare readings with and without equalization.

Regards,
Wayne

|

post #5 of 8 Old 02-10-14, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
TEK
Shackster

Ok, thanks for the input Wayne.
I tought the result I got was that my receiver did not send anything to the sub when Direct was selected - but I'll test it again.
post #6 of 8 Old 02-11-14, 09:44 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

True, it might not pass the sub signal in Direct mode – didn’t think about that. However, a basic “Stereo” mode should work. If not that, then Dolby Pro Logic will for sure.

Regards,
Wayne

|

post #7 of 8 Old 02-11-14, 10:05 AM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
I do not want the receiver to affect my signal as I'm attempting to get information about how the sub alone is working in the room
Hi, in that case why not just bypass the receiver and connect the soundcard output to the subwoofer input?
post #8 of 8 Old 02-11-14, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
TEK
Shackster

I did not want the receivers EQ to mess with my initial measurements.
However, I did - after quite some trial and error - succeded in getting the Asio4all driver (at least probably good enough for this usage). This means that I'm able to pass a signal directly to the LFE channel.