Pioneer Elite owners - EQ units that work? - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 18 Old 03-08-14, 08:52 AM
Senior Shackster

Brent L

My System
Send a message via Yahoo to blitzer
Re: Pioneer Elite owners - EQ units that work?

I have the Marantz av7005.

-Brent

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 Old 03-08-14, 09:05 AM
GCG
Senior Shackster

Patrick

My System

You could go to RatShack and get an inexpensive digital Multi-meter. They have one on sale for ~$35 that looks OK. http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...uctId=20362256

You'll likely want something like this, too. http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...uctId=11931581

Or pay a little more and get a USB scope.
http://www.amazon.com/HANTEK-6022BE-...ZBT4KZHE0FY47R
If you go either of these routes and you need any help just let me know.

7.1 System

Center - Infinity Video 1
Surrounds -
(in ceiling)
Rears -
(in ceiling)

Content source - WDTV Live Hub Media Server
post #13 of 18 Old 03-08-14, 09:27 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Brent, if you’re only using the miniDSP for equalizing your sub, why not just ditch it and get a BFD?

Regards,
Wayne

|

post #14 of 18 Old 03-08-14, 10:21 AM
Senior Shackster

Brent L

My System
I have an IB sub and wanted to eq down to 10hz for driver protection. It's also really nice for changing things in real time. Much simpler to learn and update and also for future projects. But I have been thinking of doing exactly that with the problems I have been having, I am current just am letting Audyssey tame it and it is ok, but want more control for music.

-Brent

post #15 of 18 Old 03-08-14, 01:39 PM
Senior Shackster

Brent L

My System

Quote:
GCG wrote: View Post
You could go to RatShack and get an inexpensive digital Multi-meter. They have one on sale for ~$35 that looks OK. http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...uctId=20362256

You'll likely want something like this, too. http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...uctId=11931581

Or pay a little more and get a USB scope.
http://www.amazon.com/HANTEK-6022BE-...ZBT4KZHE0FY47R
If you go either of these routes and you need any help just let me know.
I do have a multi meter. How would I use that?

-Brent

post #16 of 18 Old 03-08-14, 10:28 PM
GCG
Senior Shackster

Patrick

My System

DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK. YOU WILL VOID ANY WARRANTY IF YOU DAMAGE AN OUTPUT DOING THIS AND DAMAGE IS A REAL RISK.

Wire a 10 kΩ resistor in the signal path of a IC cable (RCA or Balanced XLR, A cheap 5% ¼watt resistor will do fine) and use it as a dummy load on the sub out, or the output of the MiniDSP. On an RCA cut one connector off an old cable (leave it long for convenience), strip the end and solder the resistor between the internal signal wire and the shield. On the XLR solder the resistor between the wires connected to pins 2 & 3.

Be VERY careful not to allow any of the wires of the cable to come in contact with each other. Doing so will most probably fry the output under test. I use heat shrink tubing to insure this, leaving just enough bare wire to clip a lead to. Keep a watchful eye on the test probes as they are a prime source of accidental shorts - keep them separated.

Once you have the dummy load made here's the procedure to check the output.
  1. Turn power to the device you're testing off
  2. Attach the dummy load to the device.
  3. Attach clip leads to the exposed portions of the dummy load cable and to the probes of the meter. One exposed point on the cable to one probe. You've taken great care up to now to prevent shorts. Don't intentionally create one. You need to use clip leads to keep your hands free.
  4. Set the meter to read AC volts and set the range (if not an auto ranging meter) to 2 volts or greater.
  5. Apply power to the device and set the volume to minimum.
  6. Using REW or a test tone from a test CD or such, in the proper freq range, apply a signal to the device (say 50Hz for the sub out; 1kHz for a full range out).
  7. Adjust the volume up slowly. Multimeters read RMS (or a close approximation for the cheaper ones) until clipping starts to occur. After that the reading will be off. The only real way to KNOW you're clipping is with a scope.

That's about it. If you have balanced outs the reading should run up to ~2 volts. On an RCA it'll be limited to ~0.9 volts. For obvious reasons an O-scope is preferred but a multimeter will work in a pinch.

If any of this makes you nervous, or uneasy, DON"T DO IT.

7.1 System

Center - Infinity Video 1
Surrounds -
(in ceiling)
Rears -
(in ceiling)

Content source - WDTV Live Hub Media Server
post #17 of 18 Old 03-09-14, 09:04 AM
Elite Shackster

My System

Quote:
blitzer wrote: View Post
I did get the balanced MiniDSP and I have many problems. My AVR has a balanced output. If I go from my balanced AVR directly to my EP 4000, all is good and gain is perfect. If I put the balanced mini DSP in the middle I have problems. The input I get on the MiniDSP is barely up from Infinity regardless of the DIP switch inside of the MiniDSP. Also the outputs of the balanced MiniDSP appear to be low as well. So, it seems like I need a bump box before and after the MiniDSP. I did get a bump box for before the MiniDSP and that did help with the input signal to the MiniDSP. But I get a very weak signal out of the other side. Unfortunately I do not have the tools to do any measuring
Does the "low level out of the MiniDSP" actually manifest itself in a practical problem in your system?

Is the problem; noise from the speaker, or not being able to reach the SPL levels that you desire, or possibly something else?
post #18 of 18 Old 03-09-14, 11:13 PM
Senior Shackster

Brent L

My System
Wow, thanks for the info. I may try this as I just don't understand what is going on unless there is an issue with the hardware.

-Brent