Pioneer Elite owners - EQ units that work? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 18 Old 03-07-14, 06:51 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Pioneer Elite owners - EQ units that work?

I have a Pioneer Elite SC-65 AVR and need a known good EQ link between it and my sub amps.
Many users report voltage issues between their AVR's and MiniDSP.
Not that I'm married to MiniDSP, but it does seem like the best bang for the buck when it comes to Sub EQ that plays well with REW.

I would like to know which components have been known to work well between Pioneer Elite AVR's and MiniDSP, sans voltage issues, or output drop issues.

What say ye.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 03-07-14, 11:09 AM
GCG
Senior Shackster

Patrick

My System
Re: Pioneer Elite owners - EQ units that work?

I had the same concerns after I read some stuff about the issues on the net. This after I had already purchased an unbalanced MiniDSP 2x4. I did a check from my SC-71 sub out with a Fluke Scopemeter into a 10kΩ load and found the output to go to a little over 2 volts RMS. I set the jumper on one of the inputs to 2v and ran with it. The output of the unbalanced variant is 0.9vRMS max regardless of the input scaling. I verified that with the Fluke. I did have to increase the gain on the Dayton Audio SPA1000 plate amp it was feeding. After the first MCACC run, before the increase, the sub level set in the SC-71 was at +6.5db and the spread to the lowest sat was 13db (sat was at -6.5db). After I increased the input gain on the SPA1000 and re-ran MCACC the total spread, including the sub, was only 4db. The sub was in the middle of that spread.

I need to note that I included a Linkwitz Transform which also reduces overall output as a trade for more low end extension (worked very well) and the EQ was predominantly cuts to peaks which also reduces overall output.

Final outcome is a sub response that is nearly a full octave lower, nice house curve response from below 20hz to my x-over @ 100hz, and enough power to keep ME from cranking to reference levels. This with the 0.9vRMS output of the unbalanced variant of the 2x4 product. I'm happy, however had I done my homework I'd have ordered the balanced variant with the 2.0vRMS out.

Hope that helps.

7.1 System

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Center - Infinity Video 1
Surrounds -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
(in ceiling)
Rears -
(in ceiling)

Content source - WDTV Live Hub Media Server
post #3 of 18 Old 03-07-14, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
GCG wrote: View Post
I had the same concerns after I read some stuff about the issues on the net. This after I had already purchased an unbalanced MiniDSP 2x4. I did a check from my SC-71 sub out with a Fluke Scopemeter into a 10kΩ load and found the output to go to a little over 2 volts RMS. I set the jumper on one of the inputs to 2v and ran with it. The output of the unbalanced variant is 0.9vRMS max regardless of the input scaling. I verified that with the Fluke. I did have to increase the gain on the Dayton Audio SPA1000 plate amp it was feeding. After the first MCACC run, before the increase, the sub level set in the SC-71 was at +6.5db and the spread to the lowest sat was 13db (sat was at -6.5db). After I increased the input gain on the SPA1000 and re-ran MCACC the total spread, including the sub, was only 4db. The sub was in the middle of that spread.

I need to note that I included a Linkwitz Transform which also reduces overall output as a trade for more low end extension (worked very well) and the EQ was predominantly cuts to peaks which also reduces overall output.

Final outcome is a sub response that is nearly a full octave lower, nice house curve response from below 20hz to my x-over @ 100hz, and enough power to keep ME from cranking to reference levels. This with the 0.9vRMS output of the unbalanced variant of the 2x4 product. I'm happy, however had I done my homework I'd have ordered the balanced variant with the 2.0vRMS out.

Hope that helps.
Oh it helps a lot! Thanks!
So, basically it sounds like the Sub out on the Pioneer Elite is sufficient to run the MiniDSP, but the output of the unbalanced MiniDSP could be better.
This would be remedied by using the balanced version of MiniDSP.
I suppose you could put a bump box between the MiniDSP and your pro amps right?

post #4 of 18 Old 03-07-14, 02:18 PM
GCG
Senior Shackster

Patrick

My System

Guess I could, but since there's no need ... {edit: mis-read your post's meaning - Yeah If you have pro amps and an unbalanced variant then a gain bump box would be called for}

If you get the balanced variant then you'll need to wire to the unbalanced RCA connectors correctly. It's on the forum somewhere - I've seen it. I just don't recall where and since for me there was no need ...
I believe Wayne posted the info I saw.

7.1 System

Surrounds -
(in ceiling)
Rears -
(in ceiling)

Last edited by GCG; 03-07-14 at 02:26 PM. Reason: see text
post #5 of 18 Old 03-07-14, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Thanks for the info!
I'll look for the post on the cables.
post #6 of 18 Old 03-07-14, 03:07 PM
GCG
Senior Shackster

Patrick

My System

This look familiar.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...dsp-howto.html

7.1 System

Surrounds -
(in ceiling)
Rears -
(in ceiling)

post #7 of 18 Old 03-07-14, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

That looks like exactly what I need!
Thanks again!
post #8 of 18 Old 03-07-14, 04:30 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Quote:
EWizard wrote: View Post
I would like to know which components have been known to work well between Pioneer Elite AVR's and MiniDSP, sans voltage issues, or output drop issues.
Any professional-grade outboard equalizer will work with none of the issues you mentioned.

Quote:
EWizard wrote: View Post
I suppose you could put a bump box between the MiniDSP and your pro amps right?
As thoroughly explained in my dissertation on gain structure (which you can find linked in my signature), a signal booster is not needed unless your receiver doesn’t put out enough voltage to drive your amplifier of choice.

Regards,
Wayne

|

post #9 of 18 Old 03-08-14, 06:27 AM
Senior Shackster

Brent L

My System
Send a message via Yahoo to blitzer

Quote:
GCG wrote: View Post
Guess I could, but since there's no need ... {edit: mis-read your post's meaning - Yeah If you have pro amps and an unbalanced variant then a gain bump box would be called for}

If you get the balanced variant then you'll need to wire to the unbalanced RCA connectors correctly. It's on the forum somewhere - I've seen it. I just don't recall where and since for me there was no need ...
I believe Wayne posted the info I saw.
I did get the balanced MiniDSP and I have many problems. My AVR has a balanced output. If I go from my balanced AVR directly to my EP 4000, all is good and gain is perfect. If I put the balanced mini DSP in the middle I have problems. The input I get on the MiniDSP is barely up from Infinity regardless of the DIP switch inside of the MiniDSP. Also the outputs of the balanced MiniDSP appear to be low as well. So, it seems like I need a bump box before and after the MiniDSP. I did get a bump box for before the MiniDSP and that did help with the input signal to the MiniDSP. But I get a very weak signal out of the other side. Unfortunately I do not have the tools to do any measuring

-Brent

post #10 of 18 Old 03-08-14, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

These are the kinds of responses that prompted this thread.
What AVR are you using again Brent?
Did you wire the DSP to the AVR in the same manner (obviously a little different because of the XLR out on your AVR) as the link above?

Last edited by EWizard; 03-08-14 at 10:02 AM.