Help needed from an (a little dumb) newbie - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 7 Old 03-11-14, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Help needed from an (a little dumb) newbie

I'm trying to do my first mesurement with REW 5, using a MiniDSP UMIK - 1 USB mic; my sound card is a RME fireface UCX (USB), and I have some doubt about its calibration; I've red some posts here around with search tool, and seen the Youtube tutorial, but it's not so clear if this calibration is needed or not

I saw a post saying that using a MiniDSP UMIK no sound card calibration is required (http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...g-use-rew.html)

But when I do the maeasurement (as per Umik tutorials) I see in REW a curve related to "soundcard calibration".
I never did any soundcard calibration (only a level test to set card volume), and if needed I don't know how to do a loopback in my sound card as requested in preference settings (a normal cable connecting an out -any?- and an in (any-) is sufficient?)....I'm, a little confused
Could anybody help me (taking care, as you can see, that I'm not so skilled in these matters)?
Thanks a lot, and sorry for my bad english
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-11-14, 12:35 PM
Elite Shackster

Re: Help needed from an (a little dumb) newbie

When using the UMIK-1 mic for input ( into REW ), one should just use the computers soundcard for output .

No calibration of the computers soundcard is required .

post #3 of 7 Old 03-11-14, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Thanks a lot, I suspected this. Mic calibration substitutes soundcard one (the two cuves in REW are coincident for this matter)

post #4 of 7 Old 03-11-14, 02:14 PM
Elite Shackster

Quote:
perroloco wrote: View Post
Thanks a lot, I suspected this. Mic calibration substitutes soundcard one (the two cuves in REW are coincident for this matter)
^^ maybe some Google Translate issues ??

Anyways ;

Leave the soundcard calibration entry, empty . ie; Don't load any calibration ( correction file ) into the soundcard calibration area/slot .

Use, only the UMIK-1 calibration file within the microphone calibration area/slot .

Last edited by EarlK; 03-11-14 at 03:47 PM.
post #5 of 7 Old 03-12-14, 02:12 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

No google fault, only bad writing.....sorry
It would have to be
"Mic calibration curve (in REW measurement main diagram) substitutes (to substitute is an existing verb , but if you prefer to replace....) soundcard one (the two curves in REW are coincident for this matter)
Thanks a lot
post #6 of 7 Old 03-12-14, 07:17 PM
Shackster

Are you doing this through HDMI? How many channels?

If using HDMI, download ASIO4ALL, you can select each individual channel as an output, but you need to configure your driver for '7.1' (or 5.1), this should be fairly simple. Just configure your 'Playback' device.

For each channel, be sure to calibrate SPL (a button at top of REW) for each channel (to 75db), then measure. Unplug your sub until you get to 'channel 4' which is the sub channel in my case, otherwise it will measure each channel with the sub.

Remember to always calibrate SPL, then measure, next channel, calibrate, measure.

I hope this is good advice.

I think your English is fine, I cannot imagine trying to ask questions in another language.
post #7 of 7 Old 03-13-14, 02:01 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

No, I use ASIO driver of my audiocard (RME), speakers channel (analog 1+2), no sub is present. My goal is to achieve a filtered eq curve to load into an EQ Vst in my DAW main channel.
The process is similar to the one you suggest, even if, following Umik1 instructions and giving REW my mic calibration file, I didn't make any rew SPL meter calibration, only a previous level set up, supposing it's already calibrated: am I wrong?

Than I made a measurement. Surely, as you say, an indipendent left-right would have been better....I'll try to do it in future, now is not soclear how to combine the two curves.....

I subsequently follow a you tube tutorial
"Room Correction with Plugin and Measurement"
and I have to say that final result is not so bad......

Another doubt I have is related to IR and related use of compensating (inverted?) FIR filter to use in a convolver plugin. Is it necessary (or suggested) in addition to above eq filtering? but, above all, how to procede?

As you can see
many ideas and great confusion.....