Thoroughly confused on initial setup - please help! - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 4 Old 04-15-14, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

My System
Thoroughly confused on initial setup - please help!

I've read the instructions from the rew V5 Help guide by John Mulcahy and read through the forum and still can't figure out how to get things ready for measurements.

Here's what I have to work with:
HP Laptop running Windows 7, HDMI Output, built-in sound card, Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Go! Pro external USB sound card (purchased and on hand if needed), calibrated UMIK-1 microphone, ASIO4ALL downloaded, Radio Shack sound level meter

What do I need to hook up physically? For now, I am not using the external USB sound card. I am using the HDMI output to my receiver with ASIO4ALL. I am able to output to each channel including channel 4 for the subwoofer. I have the UMIK-1 microphone connected via the USB port. Do I need to do anything else?

In preferences, what do I do? I assume I should use the ASIO4ALL driver rather than JAVA to allow the selection of each channel individually - correct me if I am wrong. The ISO input device shows 2 devices "Not Connected". I assume this is where my UMIK-1 should show up but I can't figure out how to get that to work.

Does a sound card calibration need to be run? I've seen and read things saying both yes and no and have become even more confused. My UMIK did come with a calibration file on a USB drive.

Hopefully someone can help me get up and running with this as I've spent several hours trying to get things running which would probably take someone with experience at this a few minutes. Also, is there a specific thread explaining this? I've looked through some threads and stickies but some are novel length or I must be missing some concepts.

I appreciate your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-15-14, 01:25 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

My System
Re: Thoroughly confused on initial setup - please help!

Well, I had some luck and finally got the UMIK recognized within REW and ASIO4ALL.

Is there anything I need to do for checking levels (output and compare to dB on my Radio Shack meter)?

Is a soundcard calibration or anything else required?

Thank you
post #3 of 4 Old 04-15-14, 02:22 PM
REW Author

John

No, soundcard calibration is not needed with USB mics. There is a guide to using UMIK and HDMI outputs with REW on the the MiniDSP site.

post #4 of 4 Old 04-15-14, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

My System

Thank you so very much for your help!

I had previously seen this information but forgot where. Given some of the monsterous threads here I didn't even know where to start looking. I had my calibration done by Cross Spectrum as MiniDSP was out of stock and I forgot about all of the good information at the MiniDSP site. Everything is now working as intended. Again - thank you!