UMIK-1 timing reference and Phase - Page 4 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

24Likes

post #31 of 82 Old 02-04-16, 11:39 AM
REW Author

John

Re: UMIK-1 timing reference and Phase

Afraid not, work paused while I was away for xmas and new year and I haven't got back to it yet. Just back from some business travel but should be able to get going on it again this weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 82 Old 02-04-16, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
orangeart

Great stuff. Running a speaker measurements forum at the Scalford Hall Audio show on the 20th March and this would really simplify the demo, so if you'd managed to do it by then I'd forever appreciate it :wink:

Stefan
post #33 of 82 Old 02-05-16, 04:54 AM
Shackster

My System

My long wait is coming to an end… where is that heartbeat emoticon ?

There it is!

Thank you John!

post #34 of 82 Old 03-04-16, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
orangeart

Hey John, any movement here?

Stefan
post #35 of 82 Old 03-05-16, 12:13 PM
REW Author

John

Yes, going well. As of last weekend I have a build that measures with an acoustic timing reference and seems to give good results. I need to add a few convenience elements, like being able to set the timing ref level independently of the measurement sweep level and making it easier to switch the output being used for measurement, but it's working now.
post #36 of 82 Old 03-05-16, 04:23 PM
Shackster

Newb here...but just got a Dirac 88-A myself. Comes with the UMIK that seems to work pretty well....

Can't believe the difference Room Correction software makes!!! Well worth it!

Hope to learn more here..

Cheers!
post #37 of 82 Old 03-06-16, 01:11 PM
REW Author

John

I have uploaded V5.15 beta 3 to the installers directory with initial support for an acoustic timing reference. The choice of timing reference is in the Analysis preferences. If an acoustic timing reference is selected the measurement dialog shows a control for the level of the timing reference signal and, when using Java drivers, which channel to use for the timing signal (with ASIO drivers REW uses the timing ref channel selected on the Soundcard preferences). A limitation of this initial implementation is that the reference channel is only used for the timing signal, it can't be measured while using it as the timing reference (e.g. if the left channel output is being used for the timing ref, the measurement sweep will only be on the right channel output). I'll look at addressing that in a subsequent build.

The timing reference signal is a linear sweep from 5 kHz to 20 kHz, so the speaker being used to provide the reference needs a tweeter (a sub cannot be used as the timing ref). Keeping it to high frequencies helps with accurate timing and means the signal will usually be reproduced by the tweeter alone, so the derived timing signal peak location will not be affected by timing differences that may be present between drivers in a multiple driver speaker. The sweep is quite short, about 0.7 seconds, so it shouldn't present any power handling issues. The actual peak levels detected for the timing reference and the measurement can be read from the "Source" section of the Info panel. The delay relative to the timing ref is shown in the "System Delay" section of the info panel, as a time and equivalent distances in metres and feet.

I have only had a chance to test this on a Windows machine. As ever, please let me know of any unexpected behaviour.

Here is the cumulative list of changes since V5.14:
  • Moved preview generator into a separate thread to avoid delaying display of file dialog
  • Added sample rate, start freq and end freq to default filenames for sweeps saved as WAV
  • Removed the confirmation dialog after signal WAV generated
  • When meas sweep is selected start and end frequency spinners reflect chosen sweep start/end rather than being half/double
  • Removed redundant check for 0..1 input volume range
  • Increased range of impedance Y axis to 10k
  • Changed signal generator linear and log sweep fade in and fade out to 10 ms (fade in was 8k samples at start freq, fade out was 8k samples)
  • Start delay is available for both SPL and impedance measurements, relocated the start delay controls below the Start Measuring button
  • Added an acoustic timing reference option
  • Bug fix: Drop Small filters used a threshold of 1 dB instead of half the flatness target in some circumstances
  • Bug fix: Apply Windows could fail when the overlays window was being used
  • Bug fix: Loading cal file could fail when using UMIK under Linux
  • Bug fix: Controls in graph axis limits dialog could disappear under some circumstances
  • Bug fix: Var, Psy and ERB smoothing did not work on RTA spectrum trace
post #38 of 82 Old 03-06-16, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
orangeart

That is great John. Scalford hall Audio show is the weekend after next so this has come at a perfect time. Busy this week but will thoroughly test in next week thanks you so much.

Stefan
post #39 of 82 Old 03-06-16, 06:51 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

Hi JohnM,
Thanks for another great update!

I see the measurement sweep signal is modified a little so I intend to update my external sweep file accordingly. I looked to see if the measurement sweep export feature now includes a new option to save a stereo version of the sweep with the new acoustic timing sweep on the reference channel. I don't see that option yet. I am thinking that it will make it possible to run external sweeps that provides the capability of the new acoustic timing option.

I use the REW default of right channel for the measurement and left channel for the reference, but it would make no difference to me how the two channels is saved. They can even be separate files as I can use Audacity to combine two mono files to stereo, or to switch left and right if needed in a stereo file.

Thanks for considering this addition.
post #40 of 82 Old 03-07-16, 07:28 AM
Shackster
dziemian

Thank you very much. With this addition andyc56 (the creator of Multi-sub optimizer) can make his software work with USB mics which makes it much easier.
EarlK likes this.