calibrating a firewire external sound card? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 12 Old 12-30-07, 04:39 PM
jamminji
Inactive

calibrating a firewire external sound card?

Hi... I have a phonic Helix 24 MKII, 24 channel mixer that is ALSO a firewire 16 simutaneous track recording soundcard. It shows up in REW fine and iIcan do measurements, but I do not understand how to calibrate it since it does not have line in outs that go to the computer, only firewire ins/outs. I have the mic hooked up to ch 15/16. In REW it sees ch15/16 and it sees the correct main L/R out. How would I calibrate this set up?

Also i am using a SONY ECM-ms907 Stereo mic. Is there a cal file for this mic? Or Can I/How can I calibrate the mic also?

thanks... Jam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-30-07, 05:38 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Re: calibrating a firewire external sound card?

If this is what you have, you calibrate it just as the REW help files say: Feed one of the outputs into one of the inputs. Make sure any the EQ strip is set flat.

Regards,
Wayne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|

post #3 of 12 Old 12-30-07, 06:28 PM
jamminji
Inactive

Quote:
Wayne A. Pflughaupt wrote: View Post

If this is what you have, you calibrate it just as the REW help files say: Feed one of the outputs into one of the inputs. Make sure any the EQ strip is set flat.

Regards,
Wayne
Yes that is it. But I am confused. This system sends the inputs signals through it's built-in firewire port, and receives signals from the computer via it's built-in firewire port not the 1/4" inputs/outputs. I must be missing something dumb here.

jam

post #4 of 12 Old 12-30-07, 08:30 PM
jamminji
Inactive

This is how I have the system hooked up. Let me know where I go all wrong.

laptop running REW Helix 15/16 input and Helix main L/R output show in REW default input outputs in REW. Firewire cable to the Helix. SONY ECM-907 stereo mic running to helix channel strips 15 and 16. Helix 1/4" main L/R outs running to power amp then to JBL jrx-100 15" and horn PA speakers. I can get the output volume set to 75db using the internal REW generated tones but the only way I can find to adjust input volume is by the pre amp gains on the helix mixer and even with them turned up all the way I am still at about -40db. SO I have to turn up the volume on the amp for the mains and it get WAY to loud. Where am I falling apart?

jam
post #5 of 12 Old 12-30-07, 09:24 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

That’s the correct connection scheme, but for measuring, not for calibrating the soundcard.

If you’re trying to calibrate the soundcard, you’ll need to loop a cable between the main output and the channel strip you intend to use, as indicated in Item #1 in the REW help files for Calibrating the Soundcard.

There should not be a mic connected, or a connection to the sound system, until later when you’re ready to measure.

Regards,
Wayne

|

post #6 of 12 Old 12-30-07, 09:26 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Also:
Quote:
Also i am using a SONY ECM-ms907 Stereo mic. Is there a cal file for this mic? Or Can I/How can I calibrate the mic also?
You can create your own calibration file, but you’ll need a frequency response graph of the mic in order to do it.

But one thing at a time.

Regards,
Wayne

|

post #7 of 12 Old 12-30-07, 11:36 PM
jamminji
Inactive

Ok got it... I hate plugging directly from ins to outs. But THANKS! ...it worked. Next problem is still the same though. When I do a measurement it tells me that the input is too low so a ctrank up the amp and the sound is piercing but it says too low, reading is about -50 to -40. I still get readings but not sure if they mean anything because of this. I will upload my soundcard graph and new plot. For some reason I get an "error on page" when I try to add an atatchment using this computer. I turned off pop-up blocker, but that did not help. And, Yes after this it is on to the mic!

jam

Quote:
Wayne A. Pflughaupt wrote: View Post
That’s the correct connection scheme, but for measuring, not for calibrating the soundcard.

If you’re trying to calibrate the soundcard, you’ll need to loop a cable between the main output and the channel strip you intend to use, as indicated in Item #1 in the REW help files for Calibrating the Soundcard.

There should not be a mic connected, or a connection to the sound system, until later when you’re ready to measure.

Regards,
Wayne
post #8 of 12 Old 12-31-07, 10:01 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Quote:
Next problem is still the same though. When I do a measurement it tells me that the input is too low so a ctrank up the amp and the sound is piercing but it says too low, reading is about -50 to -40.
Why not increase the gain and/or input slider at the channel strip the mic is plugged into?

Regards,
Wayne

|

post #9 of 12 Old 12-31-07, 03:30 PM
jamminji
Inactive

I can do that too. But my question is after i get all the calibration done setting the spl to read what my spl reads (75db) and setting the volumes etc etc. Why do i have to turn up the volume for the measurement to well into the 100db+ range... I am covering my ears even with ear plugs, when the test runs. I think that I still don hae thing set right... agreed?

jim
post #10 of 12 Old 01-01-08, 08:53 AM
Elite Shackster
brucek

Quote:
agreed?
Agreed........