EQ'ing a measurement that already contains filters - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 3 Old 10-04-14, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

EQ'ing a measurement that already contains filters

Hi all, new REW user here!

I did my first EQ of my computer desktop speakers with Equalizer APO. I had to create a +20dB house curve in order to make everything sound "flat" to my ears. Probably cause my ears are like 1m away from the mini-speakers. Everything sounds incredibly good now, even with this cheap 100$ set . In some weeks I'll start working on my HT system.

Now on to my question. I've done the following so far:
1) measured the whole system with REW
2) EQ'd towards a house curve
3) measured the whole system again with REW. Things look good, but there's room for more optimization.

Now I want to take the measurement from step 3 and modify the existing filters slightly to make things even better.

Now when I take the new measurement, go to EQ and load the filters from step 2 in order to edit these slightly, the predicted curve is completely off. This is of course normal, because the filters were designed for measurement 1, not for the measurement from step 3.

Is there a way to load the filters and tell REW somehow that these filters are already included in the measurement signal? Or how do you guys handle this step? Do I have to optimize the filters by trial and error, or is it somehow possible to use REW's EQ prediction?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-05-14, 10:02 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Re: EQ'ing a measurement that already contains filters

There is no way to “tell” REW that a measurement is equalized. If you measure and equalize, then re-measure, the program is going to recommend new filters. You’ll just have compare the original and equalized graphs to determine what further adjustments need to be made, or else use the RTA function and equalize in real time.

Regards,
Wayne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|

post #3 of 3 Old 10-05-14, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Re: EQ'ing a measurement that already contains filters

Hi Wayne

Thanks for your answer and your great articles .

OK so I understand now that if I want perfection, filtering is a manual process and there's no REW auto-EQ past the very first EQ. I started to use RTA now with Pink PN noise. That's a powerful tool! Just by moving the mic slightly left/right or up/down I can see the room modes develop, which helps me avoid filtering in those areas.