Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/)
-   REW Forum (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/rew-forum/)
-   -   Does the auto EQ really work? (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/rew-forum/122650-does-auto-eq-really-work.html)

Glimmie 05-18-15 01:18 PM

Does the auto EQ really work?

In working with REW for two years now, I find the auto EQ feature is not very good. I get far better results by manually running sweeps and tweaking my MiniDSP EQ's based on the REW results. A lot of trial and error but the auto EQ just doesn't even come close.

And I often get strange auto EQ settings with zero gain, IOW, they do nothing with zero gain. Is this a bug?

Am I missing something or is this like most labor savings applications? In that they can't compete with a precision time consuming manual tweak?

Also the auto EQ feature seems to be limited to 10khz? Why?

REW 5, UMIK-USB, USB to SPDIF DAC feeding MiniDSP hardware, all digital REW path.

AudiocRaver 05-18-15 05:22 PM

Re: Does the auto EQ really work?

291 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Glimmie wrote: (Post 1207994)
In working with REW for two years now, I find the auto EQ feature is not very good. I get far better results by manually running sweeps and tweaking my MiniDSP EQ's based on the REW results. A lot of trial and error but the auto EQ just doesn't even come close.

REW can give very good results via its filter values, but it usually takes playing with the EQ control parameters a bit to get there. It is not intended to be a hands-off, "let it figure everything out for you" program, but is a powerful tool with a lot of options.

However, I personally tend to agree with you that manual EQ can give satisfying results just as easily.

Quote:

And I often get strange auto EQ settings with zero gain, IOW, they do nothing with zero gain. Is this a bug?
I have not seen this. We'll see what John (the author) has to say.

Quote:

Am I missing something or is this like most labor savings applications? In that they can't compete with a precision time consuming manual tweak?
Your statement might be a little strong and over-generalized. Any such application must make certain assumptions. If they are not the same as the assumptions of the user, frustration is a likely outcome.

Quote:

Also the auto EQ feature seems to be limited to 10khz? Why?
It is pretty tough to do anything constructive with EQ above 10 kHz, other than roll off highs that are too hot. 10 kHz is actually a good practical limit for any auto EQ.

Glyptoron 05-19-15 06:12 AM

Quote:

Also the auto EQ feature seems to be limited to 10khz? Why?[/I]

Hello,

The EQ match range goes from 10 Hz to 20 KHz.

@+

subterFUSE 05-19-15 06:55 AM

Quote:

I was getting this just a couple of days ago.

When I ran auto EQ it would suggest filters with 0.0 gain.

Glimmie 05-19-15 11:50 AM

Quote:

Glyptoron wrote: (Post 1208418)
Hello,

The EQ match range goes from 10 Hz to 20 KHz.

@+

What version are you using?

Mine stops at 10khz. You can put 20k in but it will default back to 10k.

Lumen 05-19-15 12:05 PM

I would imagine that the filters default to zero gain. So there's not really any "programming" to do. Just leave any non-zero filters alone.

Glyptoron 05-19-15 12:51 PM

The last one, Sir ! id est V5.11.
Beyond 10 kHz, as it is rightly pointed out, live field wavelength is so short that it hardly matters. A few centimeters outside the measurement axis and the measurement will be distorted. Moreover, now the limit is 20 KHz but my 63 year old ears barely hear 12 KHz with headphones!
:)

Glimmie 05-19-15 01:34 PM

Quote:

BlueRockinLou wrote: (Post 1208538)
I would imagine that the filters default to zero gain. So there's not really any "programming" to do. Just leave any non-zero filters alone.

Right, we should just ignore these entries in the list. However it does point to a bug in the software, hopefully harmless.

Phillips 05-19-15 08:14 PM

213 Attachment(s)
I understand it is limited due anyone putting boost to that range where damage could occur.

IslandHydro 05-19-15 08:17 PM

I tend to agree, auto filters just didn't seem to do anywhere near as well as I could do with manual filters. It could be I'm not properly configuring the objective curve but I gave up and did mine manually throughout, with great results I might add.