Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/)
-   REW Forum (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/rew-forum/)
-   -   Comments on my first measurements? (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/rew-forum/34635-comments-my-first-measurements.html)

brucek 06-28-09 12:50 PM

Re: Comments on my first measurements?

Quote:

Any idea what that weird "blip" is about at 120Hz?
It would not be the receiver. It would be your computer and REW causing a small hitch in the signal sweep at that point.

Quote:

is it normal that I needed to crank my pre-pro's volume up to 95% to get the output and input levels even?
I would set the REW sweep level up to a higher level (~-6dB) to offer the receiver more voltage, so you won't have to turn its volume up so high during the test.

BTW, turn on the REW target @60Hz to observe how the receiver tracks. Match it's passband level to the target for a good comparison.

Quote:

Would you say brucek that this pointing to the sub as the problem with his graph variances?
The sub or the room. It's almost never the receiver...

brucek

weverb 06-28-09 01:04 PM

Quote:

brucek wrote: (Post 174463)
The sub or the room. It's almost never the receiver...

So now he should do a nearfield plot of the sub using the same testing he did post #34 correct? Basically place the mic a few inches from the driver and do the same sweeps in post #34 to see if it is the sub. This should help remove the room correct?

brucek 06-28-09 01:38 PM

Quote:

So now he should do a nearfield plot of the sub using the same testing he did post #34 correct?
Yeah, that's correct, although doing it outside would be even better. I take it this is a servo type sub - so he wouldn't need to check a port nearfield.

brucek

weverb 06-28-09 01:57 PM

Quote:

brucek wrote: (Post 174467)
Yeah, that's correct, although doing it outside would be even better. I take it this is a servo type sub - so he wouldn't need to check a port nearfield.

brucek

Yes it is a servo sub.

brucek 06-28-09 02:02 PM

Quote:

it is a servo sub.
I wonder if the servo mechanism is acting up. Certainly, he shouldn't be experiencing the high distortion that is revealed in his ETC plots shown in earlier posts.

brucek

Ricci 06-30-09 10:07 AM

Yep. My guess is that it's the servo or some form of limiting going on in the response below 25hz.

Elee532,

Try a moderate volume 0-200hz sweep set at 128K and then follow up with a sweep at each setting up to 1M, keeping everything else the same when you get a chance. My guess is that the longer sweeps will show a decrease in the lowest bass. After that start at a very low volume and do a few sweeps while increasing the volume 3db at a time and keep the sweep used exactly the same in between. (just turn your reciever up, be careful so you don't overdrive your sub) This should reveal whether it is some form of limiter in the sub or a problem with it.

elee532 07-01-09 07:27 PM

4 Attachment(s)
The first graph shows four tests. Each was run using a 0 to 200Hz sweep. I used the "seperate traces" option to make for easier reading.

Green=128k
Red = 256k
Gold=512k
Aqua=1m

Graph two shows 0 to 200Hz sweeps set at 128k length with my pre-pro set increasing volume levels. The pattern doesn't seem to change much despite the change in volume.

What can you make of this?

Thanks!

weverb 07-01-09 08:21 PM

Have you tried doing any nearfield plots of the driver also?

Ricci 07-02-09 02:13 PM

Good suggestion Weverb.

Elee532,

Seeing as the 3 longer sweeps all correlate really well and have the lower bass represented well, I'd hazrd to say that you should probably stick with the 512K sweep length from now on. I think that your sub is fine.

brucek 07-02-09 02:36 PM

Quote:

I think that your sub is fine.
Why is the 128K sweep so poor?

brucek