Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/)
-   REW Forum (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/rew-forum/)
-   -   Comments on my first measurements? (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/rew-forum/34635-comments-my-first-measurements.html)

Wayne A. Pflughaupt 07-12-09 04:08 PM

Re: Comments on my first measurements?

Quote:

1. The first graph below shows a major dip at around 150Hz from my right front speaker. It seems to even out when both speakers are on. Is this kind of thing to be expected?
It happens, especially in asymmetrical rooms.

Quote:

2. I also played around with moving my seats and front speakers. The green line in graph 2 shows my seats moved forward about 12" and my front speakers moved about 24" closer to the front wall. Better?
Not really – levels below 30 Hz are significantly reduced.

Quote:

3. All of my readings thus far were taken with my sub set at 28Hz/Low Damping. The purple line in graph 2 shows my sub setting changed to 20Hz/Low Damping. Looking better?
If you mean “better than graph 1,” the answer is yes.

Quote:

4. Is there something that I can do to address those dips at 71Hz and 172Hz? Should I just keep trying different speaker/seating/sub locactions? Is there any method to narrowing in on the seemingly infinte number of combinations of these three factors?
The only problem is 71 Hz. The rest of it is perfectly normal.

Quote:

5. Graph 3 shows a reading from 200Hz to 2,000Hz. This is clearly way choppier. Is this normal?
Yes.

Quote:

6. How does the waterfall graph look? Are my bass traps paying off?
Looks good, but we’d have to see a “before” waterfall to say for sure.

Regards,
Wayne

brucek 07-12-09 05:09 PM

Quote:

major dip at around 150Hz from my right front speaker. It seems to even out when both speakers are on. Is this kind of thing to be expected?
Of course. You can add the red and gold line together yourself and end up withe result of the blue....

Quote:

The green line in graph 2 shows my seats moved forward about 12" and my front speakers moved about 24" closer to the front wall. Better?
No, it's worse.

Quote:

Is there any method to narrowing in on the seemingly infinite number of combinations of these three factors?
Fourth factor. Adjust your subs phase control, since 71Hz is at your crossover area.

Quote:

Graph 3 shows a reading from 200Hz to 2,000Hz. This is clearly way choppier. Is this normal?
It's called comb filtering. Normal. Turn on the smoothing feature to reveal the underlying trend.

Quote:

How does the waterfall graph look? Are my bass traps paying off?
Compared to what?

brucek

1972nosay 07-20-09 04:45 PM

I think ,all is too difficult to undestand!I need to study the software and I'll make my first test.
:hide: