Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/)
-   REW Forum (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/rew-forum/)
-   -   REW V5 Tips (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/rew-forum/35311-rew-v5-tips.html)

JohnM 10-24-10 03:54 PM

REW V5 Tips

I thought a few tips on REW V5 might be in order, I'll start with some people may not have come across. Feel free to add any tips of your own.
  • Measurement (.mdat) files can be opened by dragging them onto the REW window
  • Impulse response (.wav or .aiff) files can be imported by dragging them onto the REW window
  • Filter set (.req) files can be opened by dragging them onto the EQ window
  • Move between measurements with Alt+UP and Alt+DOWN, go directly to a specific measurement with ALT+1 or 2 or 39
  • Move between graphs with Ctrl+LEFT and Ctrl+RIGHT, go directly to a specific graph with Ctrl+1 or 2 or 39
  • Hover over the name of a measurement in the overlay panel to bring up a tool tip showing the measurement notes
  • Move the cursor over the name of a trace to highlight that trace in the graph
  • If a measurement has been modified its name is shown in blue on the measurements panel
  • Use Ctrl+Shift+3 to apply 1/3rd octave smoothing, repeat to remove the smoothing
  • Use the Restore Last Removed entry in the file menu to recover a measurement that was removed by mistake
  • Right click in the overlay window legend area to bring up a menu that allows clearing or setting all trace selections
  • Under Windows or OS X double-clicking on an mdat file opens REW and loads the file
  • There are keyboard shortcuts for most things

AudioDH 03-06-11 04:34 PM

Re: REW V5 Tips

Thanks John. those are handy tips!

AudioDH 04-12-11 12:58 PM

Thanks John!

paulspencer 04-22-11 12:03 AM

You've done a great job with it John! It's great that you've thought of and added all those little touches. It's a very well thought out user friendly program.

diapason 05-16-11 09:39 AM

Hi.My name is diapason, thank you for the tips!

paulspencer 05-16-11 09:43 AM

I'm not sure what is the correct place for this, but one feature I'd like to see is waterfall normalisation ie how would the waterfall look if EQ were used to get it perfectly flat.

JohnM 05-16-11 04:23 PM

Quote:

paulspencer wrote: (Post 436972)
I'm not sure what is the correct place for this, but one feature I'd like to see is waterfall normalisation ie how would the waterfall look if EQ were used to get it perfectly flat.

EQ affects the rates of decay as well as the level, the predicted waterfall on the EQ panel shows how the current measurement would look with EQ applied - there is an example of before and after in the screenshots on the REW page.

paulspencer 05-17-11 01:55 AM

Let me put it this way. Let's suppose you want to compare some bass traps with REW and see the impact on waterfall plots. (That is one thing I've been doing). It can be hard to compare when the response is different. If the waterfalls and decay plots could be normalised, then comparison is easier.

alaok 06-18-11 11:39 PM

thank you for the tips!

JIMKOVACS 07-25-11 09:54 PM

not to mention the mouse-wheel scrolling option to zoom in on out-of scene measurement areas.
I do anlaysis from 20Hz to 16KHz, and the normal window gives me to 200Hz. BUT if you scroll into the end you find you can open the entire spectrum.... THIS IS AWESOME AND MUST BE TOLD !
(I just discovered by fiddling).
Incredible Design, John, thanx....