Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/)
-   REW Forum (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/rew-forum/)
-   -   Graphs and response time translation would be appreciated (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/rew-forum/68162-graphs-response-time-translation-would-appreciated.html)

BLUEBOY12 06-23-13 06:26 AM

Graphs and response time translation would be appreciated

3 Attachment(s)
Attachment 42779

Attachment 42780

Attachment 42781

Hi there,

I'm trying to achieve as flat a frequency response as possible.
I calibrated My speaker output to 75db.
Does this mean that im trying to raise all my nulls and lower all my peaks in my graph to as close to the 75 db reference line as possible?

I also have some DIY room treatment.

Would be grateful if someone could further tell me my best approach to sorting out my mountain range and response times.

cheers all!

EarlK 06-23-13 01:11 PM

Re: Graphs and response time translation would be appreciated

1 Attachment(s)
Hi,

I'll compose a fairly lengthy post for you that'll hopefully offer some guidance ( it's just I need to first find the time ) .

In the meantime, here's a pdf file created by 2 acousticians that offers guidance for measurement interpretation ( leading to good 2-chnl sound playback ) .

:sn:

BLUEBOY12 06-23-13 05:10 PM

thanks for the response and looking forward to the read.
going to read the ams for stereo list you sent.

much appreciated.

EarlK 06-24-13 08:59 AM

Here are some articles by a Shack member. These, I consider to be required reading for the purposes of understanding EQ ( & "best practice" in it's application ) .

Technical Articles by Wayne A. Pflughaupt

ps ; More stuff to come in a day or two ( after you've finished this required reading ) :T

BLUEBOY12 06-24-13 01:36 PM

Thank you once again for all the links,
very informative and very interesting.
The articles, as I interpret them, relate to "Home Theatre" set ups where listening is the objective.
The graph of the "house curve" totally makes sense to me.
My space (room) is for mixing music, which is why I'm shooting for a flat response,
and my understanding of shooting for a flat response is so I don't "under" or "over" represent any frequencies....(and hopefully ,this makes for better translation when recordings are played on other systems)
What I'm finding hard to grasp is...if I am correct in thinking "flat response" is considered to be the "75db" that I've calibrated my speakers at listening position.
I'm sure the more I read , the more I'll understand it.
One thing I did also find interesting was how the "house curve" resembled the frequency curve of many mastered CD's. (I'm sure totally unrelated!)
cheers again.

Phillips 06-24-13 04:23 PM

213 Attachment(s)
Just a bit of advice the waterfall graph is only useful up to 300hz.

EarlK 06-26-13 07:56 AM

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...raph-print.jpg

Spend some time with REW's auto-EQ module and learn it's workings .

Also, measure one speaker at a time ( at your mix position ) when creating correction filters .

Quote:

My space (room) is for mixing music, which is why I'm shooting for a flat response,
and my understanding of shooting for a flat response is so I don't "under" or "over" represent any frequencies....(and hopefully ,this makes for better translation when recordings are played on other systems)
You've got the general idea correct ( as to why a flatter response is a requirement for mixing music products ) .

In the above pic , I would use 70db as the reference level ( for the EQ module to target ) and then limit "boost EQ" to 3-5 db .

The filters produced can be exported as a text file and those can then be used by certain external EQ programs ( one such being EqualizerAPO ( if you are running Windows 7 or 8 ) .

BLUEBOY12 06-26-13 06:31 PM

Hi there,
i now have numerous questions, (sorry!)
firstly, could u explain why u would use the 70db as the target reference?
using 70db as a ref would mean (for example) having to "lower" the 85hz resonance peek in my graph.
If i used 75db as a target reference ,the 85hz resonance peak would need to be raised.
this seems confusing to me.

2. i also dont understand what u mean by limit "boost EQ" to 3-5 db (i seriously am a newbie!)

Equalizer APO looks great...my approach will be to firstly add more bass traps and absorbers in my room, re measure it...(the tweak and re-measure approach!) then work out how to incorporate Equalizer APO for the bass frequencies if needed.
cheers again.

BLUEBOY12 06-26-13 08:14 PM

cheers!

EarlK 06-27-13 06:13 AM

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...raph-print.jpg

Quote:

BLUEBOY12 wrote: (Post 620434)
Hi there,
i now have numerous questions, (sorry!)
firstly, could u explain why u would use the 70db as the target reference?
using 70db as a ref would mean (for example) having to "lower" the 85hz resonance peek in my graph.
If i used 75db as a target reference ,the 85hz resonance peak would need to be raised.
this seems confusing to me.

- 70db ( vs 75db ) seems to be a nice half-way point ( between boosting lots of frequencies & cutting lots of other frequencies )

- My guess is that this pic ( capture ) is both speakers playing . If so , don't use it .
- As mentioned earlier, make some captures of individual speakers ( at your listening position ) & then use REWs Auto-EQ module to equalize the defiencies that you find .

Quote:

2. i also dont understand what u mean by limit "boost EQ" to 3-5 db (i seriously am a newbie!)
- That's a feature found within REWs Auto-EQ menu section ( that I asked you earlier to check-out ) . I guess you didn't bother to do so. :dontknow:

Quote:

Equalizer APO looks great...my approach will be to firstly add more bass traps and absorbers in my room, re measure it...(the tweak and re-measure approach!) then work out how to incorporate Equalizer APO for the bass frequencies if needed.
cheers again.