GIK Acoustics / Odyssey Audio - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 21 Old 12-16-13, 12:26 PM
Senior Shackster

Re: GIK Acoustics / Odyssey Audio

As always, Odyssey and GIK put together a great, very natural, and organic sounding room. One of the few that didn't sound like a bunch of audio gear jammed into a hotel room. I was able to speak with Brian from GIK a bit about some new bass traps and was amazed at how helpful he is. Brian was willing and able to look at REW files of my room along with photos and measurements to help determine a solid plan for treating it. For anyone coming into room treatments and not knowing where to start this is flat out invaluable. For those that are already well versed in how much difference a proper treatment/bass trapping set up can be, this can still help iron out those last few bugs that are perplexing.

Between HTS's REW, some of the great measurement sponsors, and GIK's help with treatment and set up, people can get such a better understanding of their room and system and avoid many of the high $$$ pitfalls that most encounter on the learning curve. It is a pretty cool time to be into audio.

Now if only Klauss could make a nice 5-ch Stratos line amp......still dreaming.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 Old 12-19-13, 12:25 PM
Shackster

Quote:
snowmanick wrote: View Post
As always, Odyssey and GIK put together a great, very natural, and organic sounding room. One of the few that didn't sound like a bunch of audio gear jammed into a hotel room. I was able to speak with Brian from GIK a bit about some new bass traps and was amazed at how helpful he is. Brian was willing and able to look at REW files of my room along with photos and measurements to help determine a solid plan for treating it. For anyone coming into room treatments and not knowing where to start this is flat out invaluable. For those that are already well versed in how much difference a proper treatment/bass trapping set up can be, this can still help iron out those last few bugs that are perplexing.

Between HTS's REW, some of the great measurement sponsors, and GIK's help with treatment and set up, people can get such a better understanding of their room and system and avoid many of the high $$$ pitfalls that most encounter on the learning curve. It is a pretty cool time to be into audio.

Now if only Klauss could make a nice 5-ch Stratos line amp......still dreaming.
I definitely need to invest some time, and get over the intimidation factor to improve my room....

He COULD build a Stratos 5-channel amp, I'm sure....and that would make me sit up and take notice, since it would be a great partner to the 2-channel I have. Can't say enough possitives about it, or about Klaus and the help he gave in my search...
post #13 of 21 Old 01-13-14, 10:32 PM
Shackster

Thinking about picking up GIK acoustics myself. Just can't decide if i should get the treatment first or new speakers. Not having seen any in person I can tell if the default fabric looks cheap and I should go ahead and get the gulford main or is it not that much worth it if its only me in my room.

post #14 of 21 Old 01-13-14, 11:05 PM
Senior Shackster
Bryan

I would get your room treated before auditioning speakers in it. You may make a different choice, plus just about any speaker will sound better with treatment in the room than without.
post #15 of 21 Old 01-14-14, 11:58 AM
Shackster

I have already decided what to get. Focal twin6be. I haven't heard them but have read a ton of reviews and know people with experience on them. I did hear the single 6 at a trade show and was impressed. None of the local stores carry anything. I usually order all of my gear through sweetwater.
post #16 of 21 Old 01-15-14, 09:04 AM
Elite Shackster

Joe

My System

I am with Bryan - I would consider treatment before the speakers. I have seen so many posts talking about what a big difference people have heard in their rooms after treatment - mine included.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #17 of 21 Old 01-15-14, 10:52 AM
Senior Shackster

Dwight

Definitely treatment before speakers. I am considering a speaker upgrade but will upgrade HT treatments first & enjoy the improvement. With the upgrade now I will elevate audio quality to a higher level and defer the speaker upgrade until a later date. Average speakers sound much better in a well treated balanced room.

Mains- Goldenear Triton One's
Center Channel- Goldenear Super Centre XL
Surrounds- Goldenear SuperSat 50's
Back Surrounds- Goldenear SuperSat 50c's
Atmos -4 x Goldenear HTR 7000's
Amps- Bryston 4Bsst2/Emotiva XPA-5/2 x Marantz M7025's
Processor-Marantz AV7703 Preamp
Projector- Sony VPL-HW55ES
Screen- Elunevision 140 inch 4K Audio Weave
Bluray/Universal player-OPPO 105D
post #18 of 21 Old 01-15-14, 12:09 PM
Shackster

My speakers sound decent. I have learned the room but I know treatment will help. Sometimes I just wish I had a square room to make it easier. Just the normal low dip in the mid 60's to high peak around 69hz and a bit of air I want to take out of the room.
post #19 of 21 Old 01-22-14, 09:43 PM
Senior Shackster

Rich

Quote:
yluko wrote: View Post
My speakers sound decent. I have learned the room but I know treatment will help. Sometimes I just wish I had a square room to make it easier. Just the normal low dip in the mid 60's to high peak around 69hz and a bit of air I want to take out of the room.
How much room treatments have you used? Also have you tried moving your sub/subs around a bit? It amazes me to how different the low frequencies sound in my room when I move my sub.
post #20 of 21 Old 01-22-14, 10:16 PM
Shackster

Yeah its just some awkwardness in the room, normal corner build up stuff. I have 0 treatment yet. Broke and really hope I win the treatment contest. I am a gear junkie so I always end up buying something like a synth or guitar pedal or soundcard when I know I really need to just get some treatment in here. Also cause of a rental its limited to what I can do. I set up my speakers well and the sub well. actually I do have separate speaker stands and mo pads on them and my sub is on one of the aurelex riser pads. It's just as sub optimal room(studio apartment) so closet doors all along to one corner, windows with AC unit on directly across from it and right behind me the wall is another closet, then side of fridge and half of it breaks off into a tiny kitchen. Pretty much only one way to set up speakers in here. Went from a very large nice place to this tiny place. I hurt my back pretty bad and then was diagnosed with some things making it impossible for me to work so I am waiting on disability and living in disability housing that is a converted hospital room. If that sort of gives you a rough idea of what the room might look like.