Joe

My System
Phase Technology

Phase Technology - Room 461

The system configuration included:

Component MSRP
Phase Technology PC 9.5 speakers $2,920 / pair
Phase Technology PC60 CA bookshelf speakers $1,800 / pair
Oracle Paris turntable $5,000 (cartridge and tone arm included)
Oracle Paris CD Player $3,750
Oracle Paris PH200 Phono Amp $1,795
McIntosh MX150 Processor $10,000
McIntosh MX207 Amp $9,000
Kimber Kable cables and interconnects  
System Retail Cost (towers) $32,465
System Retail Cost (bookshelves) $31,345

Background / Specifications

Phase Technology has been building speakers for almost sixty years and is also part of MSE Audio, who provides speakers for residential and commercial applications.

The PC 9.5 tower speaker uses a 1” Patented woven synthetic soft dome tweeter and 1.5” Patented woven synthetic soft dome midrange along with three 6.5” Glass fiber/RPF™ composite solid piston with NBR surround woofers. They have a stated FR of 32 Hz – 22 kHz with a nominal impedance of 4 ohms and a sensitivity of 91db. The dimensions are 45.5"x9"x14.5" and they weigh in at 66 lbs each.

The PC60 CA bookshelf speaker uses a 6.5” Glass fiber/RPF™ composite solid piston with NBR surround woofer and a patented 1” synthetic soft dome tweeter. They have a stated FR of 55 Hz - 20 kHz with a nominal impedance of 6 ohms and a sensitivity of 88db. The dimensions are 13.25"x8.625"x8.25" and they weigh in at 32lbs for the pair.

Room treatment was used at the first reflection points.

Joe's Impressions

First off, it was really great to meet Brian (bkeeler10) - one of the things I like most about attending shows is meeting people and it is great meeting people who are active HTS members.

I did not get a chance to hear the PC60 CA bookshelves, but I will say that I am a huge fan of a natural wood finish on speakers as the black drivers really set off and these were really well done.

The PC 9.5 towers have a standard retangular front baffle with a taper to the rear and were finished with a nice piano gloss. The thing that I really liked though was how the gray drivers really stood out from the finish - this was another speaker that I would have no qualms about leaving off the grill.

Vocal imaging was dead center with no smearing issue on the Melody Gardot track and the soundstage was deep giving that "live" feel I really like. Male and female vocal dynamics were handled well with no signs of strain and the female part of the Roger Waters track imaged to our left as expected.

The PC 9.5s handled the low end sweeps of the Roger Waters track well - not quite the impact of the ID1s, but really clean nonetheless. Again, for those that have read previous show reports, you know how much I love a crisp midrange with good punch and the PC 9.5s did not disappoint here - I especially liked the SNAP of the sticks in the Flim and the BBs Funhouse track as you could just visualize the sticks hitting.

Not to be outdone, instrument detail was also fantastic. Piano sequences were super smooth and crisp and were very relaxing to just sit and listen to. High hats had that "ping" and resulting splash I adore as did the triangle on one of the tracks Brian played. Instruments separated really well too - even the instrumental tracks had a "live" feel.

Overall, as you can probably tell , I really enjoyed these speakers. They had everything I look / listen for in a speaker with the instrument clarity and midrange. Solid spot in my top five of the weekend and at this price point, definitely something I would personally consider for my own system.

Dennis' Impressions

I had the chance to listen to both the towers and the monitors, and they were much more alike than different. When the PC9.5 towers were switched out for the PC60 monitors, I couldn't believe the bass produced!

With both speakers, soundstage was nice and wide, with solid images within. Tonal balance was very relaxed, one could listen fatigue free for extended periods. Most of my audition was with the smaller PC60, and I was very impressed with the big sound they produced.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-24-13, 12:11 PM
Senior Shackster
Bryan

Re: Phase Technology

Hey Joe, thanks for stopping by and for the great report. It was great to meet you and Sonnie.

I'm glad you enjoyed the speakers. I thought they were sounding fantastic and, based on the other things I heard at the show (admittedly limited), I also felt that the PC9.5 didn't leave me wanting for better performance. They really are a great set of speakers. It was my first exposure to them in a serious, well-set-up listening environment and for an extended period. While I had been neutral to them before the show due to lack of experience with them, they really sold themselves to me. And even better, their price makes them accessible to many, unlike the countless number of 5-figure speakers overflowing at an event like this.

Anyway, I see I made the pictures. You got the best side of me . . .

Oh, I will comment on a couple of the pictures that seem to show differences in color and shading on the woofers. It almost looks as if a couple of them are dirty, but that is not the case. It is not an artifact of photography -- I have seen in in person as well. It seems to be related to the way the light hits them and the non-symmetric nature of the material. For example, notice in the first picture that the middle woofers have a darker appearance on both speakers, but on the third shot from a different angle it is the top woofer that appears that way. Just to clarify to those who notice this, that there was not a problem with any of those drivers and, depending on how you look at them, they all look the same like they do in the fourth photo.

Last edited by bkeeler10; 10-24-13 at 01:10 PM. Reason: for clarity
post #3 of 10 Old 10-24-13, 04:09 PM
Elite Shackster

2 channel view

My System

Hey, Bryan - I added a 5th photo and my impressions. Lighting in the various rooms at the show is tricky to work with.

I'm hoping to get a pair of the PC60's for review sometime this fall.

"I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit." - Bill Hicks

post #4 of 10 Old 10-25-13, 09:54 AM
Senior Shackster
Bryan

Thanks Dennis for adding your impressions. When you say you were surprised by the bass on one of the speakers, I couldn't tell if you meant the PC 9.5 which have a a lot of bass capability of course, or if you were surprised by the amount of bass coming from a small monitor.

Considering the PC60 is a fairly small sealed box, it does quite well with bass. I assume you heard them on Sunday, which was good since they were not well-broken-in the first day.
post #5 of 10 Old 10-26-13, 03:08 PM
Elite Shackster

2 channel view

My System

I should clarify. The PC9.5 was playing when I entered the room, then Ken took them out and put the PC60 pair in. The PC60 amazed me with it's big speaker lows. They could easily be mistaken for the towers.

"I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit." - Bill Hicks
post #6 of 10 Old 12-10-13, 08:08 AM
Shackster

I sold Phase Tech back in the late 80's in South Florida. I didn't know near what I know now about this hobby, but they were always a great seller. Easy to listen to, easy to drive, and we sold the out of the sat/sub arrangements! Today's PC60 looks very much like it did then, albeit with updated drivers, etc, but it still looks like a PC60 - I guess that speaks volumes of the 'rightness' of the original design. IIRC the 9.5's are in the running for a spot in the $3K evaluation, and I'd love to hear how they fare...
post #7 of 10 Old 12-10-13, 10:46 AM
Senior Shackster
Bryan

Yeah I hope the 9.5 makes it too. Being familiar with it and liking it quite a bit, I am curious to see how it compares to better-known competitors. Phase Tech doesn't get many mainstream reviews ...
post #8 of 10 Old 02-12-14, 07:04 PM
Elite Shackster

Glen

It made it: the $3000 shootout that is. Thought I would revive the thread seeing that it is being reviewed in the shootout.

Phase Tech used to be designed and built in Jax, Fl, where I was stationed in the USN during the 90's: hope that is still the case. The PC 9.5 looks to be a nicely built modern 'standard' style speaker.

post #9 of 10 Old 02-12-14, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Glad to see these made the event - I am looking forward to another listen - this time in a room I am somewhat familiar with...

post #10 of 10 Old 02-13-14, 12:04 AM
Senior Shackster
Bryan

Quote:
ironglen wrote: View Post
It made it: the $3000 shootout that is. Thought I would revive the thread seeing that it is being reviewed in the shootout.

Phase Tech used to be designed and built in Jax, Fl, where I was stationed in the USN during the 90's: hope that is still the case. The PC 9.5 looks to be a nicely built modern 'standard' style speaker.
The cabinet is now made in China. Every other component is still made in Jacksonville and final assembly also occurs in the US. At least that's the last I heard.