Samsung HL-S6187WX/XAA 3 Flashing lights - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 1 Old 08-28-15, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Ryan

Samsung HL-S6187WX/XAA 3 Flashing lights

Hi All!

First post here.

I know I have an outdated TV, but I like it and want to fix it if possible.
I've done the extent of troubleshooting I can on my own, but I need some help.

So I have the classic lamp replacement code, 3 flashing lights and the TV will shut down on it's own.
The old lamp was about a year old and getting dim so no surprises there.
Ordered a Philips bare lamp from a well rated seller on Amazon, listed as OEM replacement, paid $85.

Installed the new lamp and tv was back to it's bright fresh lamp glory, but the issue continued.
I noticed that the lamp was making a buzzing sound when shutting down, and once pulling the back cover off and shorting the door switch with a paperclip, I saw the lamp arcing was the loud buzzing sound.
It will sometimes do this 3 times when powering up, and when it shuts itself down.

I figured my ballast was on it's way out. When I got the TV the PO had installed a cheap generic lamp and I wouldn't be surprised if that put strain on the ballast, and it has never been replaced.
so I ordered one, also from a well rated amazon seller.

The issue continued, so I thought I possibly got a bad lamp, got another Philips lamp.
This time I got one with the housing included so I would eliminate the cables as a problem.

Installed this lamp and the issue persisted.
I replaced the color wheel as I know that can sometimes cause the 3 flashing lights issue.
Problem continues. . . .

I connected my voltmeter to the leads of the power supply to the ballast, and I get a pretty constant 307-309 Volts DC, and it remains constant even while the issue is happening, then drops to 10VDC when the TV turns off. I've searched and searched, and I can't find exactly what the voltage should be. I've seen anything over 280-290 is fine, some say 340, 350, 380. But it appears to be the same when the TV is operating normally as when it is having the problem, so to me that indicates the power supply is fine.

I also have another symptom:
When the TV is trying to turn on, sometimes the lamp will light and stay lit but there will be no picture and no menu at all. IT will stay this way until it is power cycled and that always fixes it (if it will turn on).

I know that if the lamp lights but there is no picture, the DMD is suspected to have failed, but powering the tv down always fixes that symptom.

Has anyone had that symptom with just a bad lamp or bad ballast?

I don't see how a DMD could cause the ballast to supply enough voltage to the lamp to arc it, but not enough to keep it lit or light it initially.

As I understand it, the ballast receives 5VDC signal from the DMD to light the lamp, so it would either supply voltage to the lamp or not, but I don't see how supplying less than adequate voltage could be a DMD issue. Please correct me if I'm wrong here.

I thought about just replacing the power supply board, but I can't find it available anywhere.

So my questions are:

1. Is 307-309 VDC at the ballast connector valid for this model?
2. Is the lamp lit with no display always a DMD board issue?
3. Is there any further testing I can do to isolate this issue?

Thanks everyone for any help you can offer!